Packers Release Jordy Nelson

Jordy Nelson on Packers cutting him: "Obviously that was a shock to the system. Not something you want to hear after you've been somewhere for 10 years."

He's gonna be motivated this year. A little more than usual. We'll see how he meshes with Carr and the offense.

I love Jordy as much as the next guy but come on. Randall Cobb' s stats stayed virtually the same from 2016 to 2017. Davante Adams stats stayed virtually the same from 2016 to 2017. Jordy Nelson dropped in every category and not just by a little. His targets dropped from 152 to 88. His receptions dropped from 97 to 53. His TDs dropped from 14 to 6. His catch% dropped from 63.8% to 60.2%. His YAC 3.51 to 2.23 and his average per reception dropped from a high of 18 in 2011 to 13.0 in 2016 and only 9.1 in 2017. Yes they could have found a place for him but not at 12.5 million. They needed the cap space to improve the depth. It isn't personal. It's business.

And yet those 6 TD's were still MORE than Cobbs scored with his stats remaining the same... Jordy had more 1st down catches than Cobb as well.....

If we are saying that Cobb stayed the same, that same really sucks if Jordy tanked 50% and still beat out Cobb in two important categories...

And yet those 6 TD's were still MORE than Cobbs scored with his stats remaining the same... Jordy had more 1st down catches than Cobb as well.....

If we are saying that Cobb stayed the same, that same really sucks if Jordy tanked 50% and still beat out Cobb in two important categories...
That's not my point and you know it. Jordy has always been better than Cobb. This isn't an argument about Cobb's production. We all agree he is overpaid. The argument is Cobb didn't do worse with Hundley at the helm. Either did Adams.

That's not my point and you know it. Jordy has always been better than Cobb. This isn't an argument about Cobb's production. We all agree he is overpaid. The argument is Cobb didn't do worse with Hundley at the helm. Either did Adams.

no offense, but that's not much of a point. if this team actually does pay cobb his $12.7 million this season and gets another 600 yard, 4td season . . . well that's just plain stupidity and hypocrisy. you can't cut a guy who had three straight 1200+ yard seasons for you just because he had one off year, but keep overpaying another clown who never once lived up to his contract. ever. if i was a player, i wouldn't want to play for that organization.

Ex-#Packers WR @89JonesNTAF tells @TomSilverstein today of #Packers' offer to @JordyRNelson: "“I’m not going to say what they offered him, but they really, really low-balled him. It wasn’t even anything you would consider. Even with all that, he was still considering taking it.” https://t.co/LXJUIaPXI8

The low-balling is a dumb move by Gute. Just call him and tell him you are going to release him but tell him to shop around and keep in touch. At a later point you can always tell him the number just got too rich and you don't have the CAP room, but a stupid low-ball offer is just insulting to a player who earned a little more respect than that.

Tavon Austin took paycut to do 1 year 5 million dollar deal. Are you telling me Austin is better then Nelson? Packers should have just released Nelson if they were not going to make a real offer for him to stay. Just made the team look bad if all the rumors are true that they pretty much said you have to take the vet min to stay.

no offense, but that's not much of a point. if this team actually does pay cobb his $12.7 million this season and gets another 600 yard, 4td season . . . well that's just plain stupidity and hypocrisy. you can't cut a guy who had three straight 1200+ yard seasons for you just because he had one off year, but keep overpaying another clown who never once lived up to his contract. ever. if i was a player, i wouldn't want to play for that organization.

You can extend Cobb to lower the cap hit far easier than you can extend a guy who said he has maybe two more years left. I'm not happy about Cobb's production but lets play devils advocate. If Jordy dropped off that bad and we are blaming Hundley, maybe with a healthy Rodgers Cobb's production would have been much improved. Cobb had 330 yards and 2 TDs in the 5 games Rodgers started. He had 323 yards and 2 TD in the 10 games he played with Hundley.

I don't get the Packers should have just released him thought. Who cares if they offered him too low of a deal. They had a conversation with Jordy. Offering him a contract that was to low isn't any worse or better than just releasing him. If you don't have the conversation you don't know what he is thinking either.

Back