Packers Release Jordy Nelson

Who cares if they offered him too low of a deal. They had a conversation with Jordy. Offering him a contract that was to low isn't any worse or better than just releasing him. If you don't have the conversation you don't know what he is thinking either.

I must disagree. From the sounds of it, they *did* have conversations, and Jordy was considering coming back here even after the extremely insulting lowball offer.

It was just releasing him, only with the added insult of such an offer.

Just my opinion, but he deserved better from this FO. I think Gut will look back on this as his first big f screw-up.

Did I think he was going to be around this year? Not really. But IMO, it was handled poorly.

you just proved that what you said earlier was false. cobb's production did indeed drop without rodgers throwing him the ball - by about 50% it looks like.

No his production year to year stayed the same. Obviously this is a useless discussion. This whole thing is ridiculous. When TT was here people complained we were too loyal to our guys and we over valued our guys. Now we aren't loyal enough or value them enough. Just shows that some fans will never be happy.

No his production year to year stayed the same.

Eye, your most recent post about Cobb wasn't about his 'production year to year'. It was about last year.

Obviously this is a useless discussion. This whole thing is ridiculous.

wideeye)) We're all posting on a message board. We all have our own opinions, I assume. That's why this place exists.

When TT was here people complained we were too loyal to our guys and we over valued our guys.

I don't think there is too much loyalty ever........but we did over pay them. Most certainly.

Now we aren't loyal enough or value them enough

Nooooooooo. I thought we were just discussing Jordy leaving and why he did, and our opinions on the way it went down. Not the whole damn nut from the word go?

Just shows that some fans will never be happy.

Of course some fans will never be happy, and some fans will always be happy. That's kind of the nature of 'fandom'. I swear to God, if you make me quote Rodney King, I will haunt you when I die. :)

Eye, your most recent post about Cobb wasn't about his 'production year to year'. It was about last year.
Which was part of a larger discussion and tied into the fact that Jordy was off to a blazing start. Cobb was above average too. I'm done discussing it. You have your opinion I have mine. Can't make everyone happy. It is a business and Jordy knows that.

Things are getting heated here, let's check in with Ted Thompson on this contentious issue. Ted, what do you think?

8RLt6T.gif

Thank you, Ted. Very insightful.

I think people are way overvaluing Nelson here. Rodgers makes our receivers look better. Look at how much different a WR Jennings was without Rodgers. If Nelson was still a difference making WR we would have seen that after Rodgers went down. Instead, we saw the opposite. He disappeared completely

can anyone think of a WR that has left Rodgers and matched or exceeded production?

If he truly got a lowball offer just above minimum veteran pay, then the Packers obviously wanted him to walk. No matter how I look at this, I don't get it. Why?

Age? Price? Performance?

Graham was basically a swap for Jordy. Graham gets the 3 year $10M/yr contract. He is a year younger than Jordy! I believe he has had injury issues. His stats are good, not great. He is a TE, an area of need.

Adams salary is fifth highest in league. He was 23rd WR in yds last year. Adams has yet to break 1000 yds yet. Hopefully he continues to grow and earns his salary. I think he will.

Cobb gets $12M this year. In both his and Jordy’s last complete season together with ARod (2016, less than two years ago), Nelson had 1,257 yds, 13 YPC, 14 TDs and Comeback Player of the Year. Cobb had 610 yds, 10 YPC, 4 TDs. Last year he ranked 56th in yds. Heck, a few years ago a last minute acquisition (James Jones) at veteran’s minimum put up better numbers! The ONLY thing Cobb has over Jordy is he is five years younger.

Jordy was ranked 88th last year. But he did have six TDs in five games before Gumbly took over. That was on pace for 19 TDs! There was no way Hundley, with his accuracy issues, could connect on timing routes that Jordy ran flawlessly… and forget anything over 15 yards unless Hundley was throwing to the opposing team. And if Jordy’s performance has dropped to such a level to warrant a lowball offer, don’t you think Bennett (who worked closely with Jordy his whole career), McKenzie or Gruden would see it?

To me, the easy decision was releasing Cobb and negotiating a fair contract with Nelson. Cobb has underperformed his contract, whereas Jordy has outperformed his (throwing out last year).

The only thing I can come up with is they are trying to break up the Rodgers/Nelson chemistry to force Rodgers to develop it with other WRs. TBH, this decision makes me question the GM decision. Cleveland will be getting better as they may have got the Packers brains who got the better deal with Randall. And now Oakland looks to be getting better.

Time will tell, I suppose.

can anyone think of a WR that has left Rodgers and matched or exceeded production?
I made this exact point elsewhere. James Jones fell off considerably then a year later came back and was productive. Jennings stats fell a bit each of his 2 years with Minnesota before crashing in Miami.

Back