Prediction of Roster Cut Down

Be 100 % honest you can't know until after game 3 on a lot of this. You got Spears getting cut but the staff loves him... Vaughters is playing lights out on ST ... a lot needs to play out. imho(

Way behind + early days still- very much agree on that - my generalization is that the Packers will greatly weigh risks to rewards potential on some of the latest or newest players (even if PACKERS are KNOWN for usually playing it safe) - not just about this past off-season's "off field" personal life issues either - although could be a tiny part of that involved. For instance Quarless is contracted through 2016 with the Packers - HOWEVER - it has taken YEARS for him to develop on the field as much as he has and he has not made the catchable catches with consistency through all those years. As a fan I am always glad when he does make the catch. HOWEVER my gut instinct says: If the other tight ends come on with any level of talent, skill, ability to understand and fit into scheme (fast learners and doers) - he will be somehow gone. Think this may happen at some other positions also. This is the one that first comes to mind. + MIND YOU - this is just my own opinion. - I believe 2015 is going to be STRONG on the Packers taking care of FOOTBALL BUSINESS and really assessing even more intensely their risks to rewards potential for who makes this team. - Kaye

Now I can get into it after 2 games a little bit:

QB (3)
Locks:Rodgers,Hundley,Tolzien
Out: Blanchard

RB (4-6)
Locks:Lacy, Starks, Kuhn,
Bubble: Neal,Ripkowski, Crockett, Harris
- Tough call between Crockett and Neal, but I still like Neal better. Personally, I'd take both over Harris, but the Packers seem to have Harris at the #3 RB spot.
- Rip seals the deal with ST play.

WR (5-6)
IR: Nelson - ouch... just ouch
Locks:Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis
Bubble: Abbrederis,White, Blue, Collins, Coxson, Hunt, Pinkard
- Abbrederis now has a window if he can play the last two games. But otherwise White is almost a lock here
- Janis reminds me of Nelson in many ways (physically and with his play). And its obvious that he is trusted out there.

TE (3-4)
Suspension: Quarless - I'm making an assumption here
Locks:Rodgers,
Bubble:Perillo, Backman, Henry
- Tough call between Perillo and Backman after Q comes back from suspension. I'm split 50/50 on this.

OT (3-4)
Locks:Bakhtiari, Bulaga,
Bubble: Barclay ,Vujnovich, Ebbele,

OG (3-4)
Locks:Sitton, Lang
Bubble: Tiller, McCray, Reed, Rotheram, Taylor,Walker
- Walker being this year's Mr. Versatile. Played RG, RT and LT yesterday.

C (2)
Locks:Linsley, Tretter
Bubble: Gerhart, Phillips
- Not seeing much of Tretter playing other spots. Maybe I just missed it?

DL (6-7)
Suspension: Jones, Guion
Locks:Daniels, Raji, Pennel,
Bubble:Boyd, Ringo, Gaston,Thornton, Hooks
- The early suspensions give the younger guys a shot to begin with.
- I've debated whether Guion will just be cut outright after the suspension. But Boyd is looking vulnerable right now also. Gaston and Ringo are showing some flashes, but probably wouldn't be stolen off the PS either.
- I wonder if the 6th spot for week one might not be on this roster? I could see a waiver claim to try someone out for a week prior to Jones coming back.

OLB (5-6)
Locks:Peppers, Neal, Perry
Bubble:Mulumba, Elliott,Rasco, Vaughters, Hubbard
- No changes.

ILB (4-5)
Locks:Barrington, Matthews, Ryan,
Bubble: Dantzler, Francis,Palmer, Bradford, Thomas, Sasquatch
- Sasquatch looks like Tarzan, but still plays like Jane. Good opportunity for the PS.

CB (5-6)
Locks:Shields, Hayward, Randall, Rollins, Gunter
Bubble: Goodson, White, Sebetic, Blake, Glover-Wright, Manning,
- I'm not positive about the last CB/S spot. No one is really making a case for themselves right now. Its also possible they keep another LB instead.

S (4)
Locks:Clinton-Dix, Burnett, Hyde, Richardson
Bubble: Banjo,

ST (3)
Locks:Goode, Masthay, Crosby
Bubble: Who?
- Masthay had some horrible clunkers, but my guess is that he stays. He is competing against punters from other team's cut list at this point.

I tend to agree with your picks, Captain except I would make these changes:

Hundley goes to practice squad (if they can get him thru). They do not need three QB's, IMO. Then they can add a another TE, OLB, or possibly DL, if needed.

I would say Harris is cut at RB and they add a player that can help on ST's. I don't think they need 6 RB's.

Ok decided to update my guesses

QB: (3) Rodgers, Tolzien, Hundley

WR: (5) Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, White

TE: (3) Rodgers, Quarless, Perillo

RB/FB: (5) Lacy, Starks, Neal, Kuhn, Ripkowski

OL: (8) Bakhtiari, Sitton, Lang, Linsley, Bulaga, Tretter, Barclay, Walker

DL: (6) Raji, Ringo, Daniels, Gaston, Boyd, Pennel

LB: (11) Matthews, Peppers, Ryan, Perry, Neal, Barrington, Mulumba, Hubbard, Bradford, Elliot, Palmer

DB: (9) Shields, Hayward, Hyde, Randell, Collins, Gunter, Clinton-Dix, Burnett, Richardson

ST: (3) Crosby, Masthay, Goode

Suspended: Jones and Guion

After Jones and Guion come back I think either Pennel or Ringo go on DL and one of the last 4 I listed at LB goes.

I think you're pretty close GBP, but no way do they cut Pennel. He's been one of the more effective DL of preseason and IMO should be playing over Boyd at end.

Ya that's a pretty solid list.

My main differences are that I don't think both Perry and Neal are back this year...

And I cannot see this offense carrying 5 RB/FB on roster.. Reduce that to 4, Kuhn is the odd man out. And pick up an extra DL...

Ya that's a pretty solid list.

My main differences are that I don't think both Perry and Neal are back this year...

Very good point. Frankly if I'm TT I'm trying to trade Perry now for anything I can get. I don't care for Mike Neal's injury history but at least he's active. Perry is just so passive all the time and clearly not a system fit. Vaughters has been active on ST and has a chance at converting to ILB. Maybe you can get him onto the PS but maybe there's enough there to show he belongs on a roster.

Very good point. Frankly if I'm TT I'm trying to trade Perry now for anything I can get. I don't care for Mike Neal's injury history but at least he's active. Perry is just so passive all the time and clearly not a system fit. Vaughters has been active on ST and has a chance at converting to ILB. Maybe you can get him onto the PS but maybe there's enough there to show he belongs on a roster.

Vaughters is one I've been hearing mentioned more lately. People saying he's quietly having an excellent camp and pre-season.. Agree on Perry. Don't think he ever bought into the switch in positions. Someone will give us a late rounder for him I'd think.

Agree it's a solid list. I'll disagree on a few:

- Backman is the 3rd TE. They might even keep 4. Depends on the OL situation. (TT rarely cuts draft picks unless they are completely inept.)

- I think they may only want to keep 9xLBs, but might keep 10 or 11 to start. There isn't really any reason to keep Perry, Palmer, Bradford or Hubbard at this point, but they will probably keep 1. I suspect they'll keep Perry for one more year, and Bradford, though he's not worthy. They'll try to see if they can stash Hubbard on the PS again.

- I think they may go with just 5xDL and get through the first game, then add Jones and cut a LB.

- Much as I don't get it, I suspect they keep Goodson as the 10th DB.

- Much as I don't get it, I suspect they keep Goodson as the 10th DB.

He didn't get in until late in the game, but Goodson actually had a nice game on Saturday. Had a couple nice physical tackles, nice tight coverages.

They most disappointing DB has been Richardson. Hasn't done squat on ST or practices. I doubt they'd just eat the $2+mil they guaranteed him but if they really want guys to make the roster based on merit he's a candidate to be cut.

Back