Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought a little something from the Kaiser would cover the Rodgers situation tonight.

So Rodgers just played his greatest trick and he convinced us he does not exist? :) LOL Loved this movie no one ever saw the ending coming.

• Cheers
Reactions: TW
To me this has been an interesting case study in how fanbases can/will pretty much excuse anything (well, maybe not rape/murder) or type of behavior by a star player if they think it gives the team a better chance at winning a title for even just one more season (because who really cares about the future of the franchise when I can maybe have my Super Bowl NOW!?).

Maybe it's the whole super team trend in the NBA, but I'm just sick of this mentality where people equate player empowerment with holding a franchise hostage and "Sticking it to the man" as if all these instances are equal and we always have to pick the player's side because tribalism. Telling to me that outside of the ultra Rodgers loyalists, most people that still want him back conclude that he's being a selfish prick, but "Top-5 QB ever" so you just have to deal with it I guess? If Rodgers comes back after an amicable solution then fine, I'll welcome him with open arms because these things happen. If not, he can **** off and go play for Denver or wherever while giving us some nice draft picks. Just sick of this drama.

To me this has been an interesting case study in how fanbases can/will pretty much excuse anything (well, maybe not rape/murder) or type of behavior by a star player if they think it gives the team a better chance at winning a title for even just one more season (because who really cares about the future of the franchise when I can maybe have my Super Bowl NOW!?).

Maybe it's the whole super team trend in the NBA, but I'm just sick of this mentality where people equate player empowerment with holding a franchise hostage and "Sticking it to the man" as if all these instances are equal and we always have to pick the player's side because tribalism. Telling to me that outside of the ultra Rodgers loyalists, most people that still want him back conclude that he's being a selfish prick, but "Top-5 QB ever" so you just have to deal with it I guess? If Rodgers comes back after an amicable solution then fine, I'll welcome him with open arms because these things happen. If not, he can **** off and go play for Denver or wherever while giving us some nice draft picks. Just sick of this drama.
To me, the NBA is unique. I'd basically let Lebron be GM and have an analytic GM in the background that is allowed to give him suggestions.

I wouldn't let Favre or Rodgers do ****. Sure, they can have some input on which practice squad guy they like or whatever, but while getting Moss or Julio might've helped Favre or Rodgers, I can guarantee with all of the other ideas they have had, they would've eventually driven the team into the ground and shorten the back window they had.

Senile Ted and hanging on to lame duck McCarthy did send us into a **** situation in 2017-2018ish...I think Gute has done an admirable job getting us out of there, actually. The team went from "Rodgers + 3 decent players on offense and arguably the least talented defense in football" to some people making the correct argument against Schefter that this team could probably make the playoffs without Rodgers.

It's not a slam dunk thing. Favre almost proved us wrong. Brady proved the Pats wrong (though I think that was the right move for both parties) by picking a great situation for him. Those guys have good ideas if the idea is to put all of your eggs into a basket for 1-2 seasons. But I would not cower to the franchise QB and let him call the shots in football. The team will suck. There is too much decision-making beyond a guy spending 99% of his time honing his own game to actually go the right direction.

To me, the NBA is unique. I'd basically let Lebron be GM and have an analytic GM in the background that is allowed to give him suggestions.

I wouldn't let Favre or Rodgers do ****. Sure, they can have some input on which practice squad guy they like or whatever, but while getting Moss or Julio might've helped Favre or Rodgers, I can guarantee with all of the other ideas they have had, they would've eventually driven the team into the ground and shorten the back window they had.

Senile Ted and hanging on to lame duck McCarthy did send us into a **** situation in 2017-2018ish...I think Gute has done an admirable job getting us out of there, actually. The team went from "Rodgers + 3 decent players on offense and arguably the least talented defense in football" to some people making the correct argument against Schefter that this team could probably make the playoffs without Rodgers.

It's not a slam dunk thing. Favre almost proved us wrong. Brady proved the Pats wrong (though I think that was the right move for both parties) by picking a great situation for him. Those guys have good ideas if the idea is to put all of your eggs into a basket for 1-2 seasons. But I would not cower to the franchise QB and let him call the shots in football. The team will suck. There is too much decision-making beyond a guy spending 99% of his time honing his own game to actually go the right direction.
I totally disagree with LeBron - he already thinks he's GM with recruiting players and coaches. He already has the biggest ego in all of professional sports.
But I agree that our FO has not been as sharp as needed the last 5-10 years. There's no reason for a team with AR to have only made it to 1 Super Bowl; yes, I know some of that has been on Rodgers (well, not the Seattle collapse) but I also think he thinks he has to do it all which causes him to overthink things. As to Brady - I still think the success in NE was more due to Bill B than Tommy, and in Tampa they put a helluva team around him that allowed him to be successful (plus some favorable officiating in the NFC playoffs).

I totally disagree with LeBron - he already thinks he's GM with recruiting players and coaches. He already has the biggest ego in all of professional sports.
But I agree that our FO has not been as sharp as needed the last 5-10 years. There's no reason for a team with AR to have only made it to 1 Super Bowl; yes, I know some of that has been on Rodgers (well, not the Seattle collapse) but I also think he thinks he has to do it all which causes him to overthink things. As to Brady - I still think the success in NE was more due to Bill B than Tommy, and in Tampa they put a helluva team around him that allowed him to be successful (plus some favorable officiating in the NFC playoffs).
The reason NE was successful was that that ownership, the FO, the coaching staff and yes Brady were on the same page and stuck to the brand, "The Patriot Way". The went after some malcontents like Moss, had arguably a very average WR group and RB room but they matched personal to scheme and plan and won, oh and the QB gave some home town discounts on his contracts to make things fit and work....ummmm. As to his success in Tampa, that was basically the same defense that was on the roster that went 7-9. On offense they added a rookie RT, but Godwin, Evans were there but then Brady replaced Winston. And lets not forget that that team was 7-5 before the bye week and looked lost. But they tweaked the offense and figured it out. I give Brady a ton of credit for his leadership down there....another ummm moment

Last edited:
I like the Packers chance at competing for a Super Bowl this season with Rodgers, but it's likely to be the last with him in uniform. Trading him now for picks and young talent to help Love for the next decade isn't a bad option by any means.

Now can the fools in our front office figure that out? That's the real question.

LeBron is a cancer. The guy thinks he is above everyone else and that everyone should bow dow to him and tae orders from him. That is the last thing any teams in any sport should allow as you are held hostage by that player.

GB after Wolf let you had a inept GM in Sherman who was not fit for the job and should have never held it. Then you had Ted who did not believe in FA and only believed in draft and develop. That is fine if you are hitting draft pick after draft pick which Ted did not. So you have to learn how to use FA to also fill holes. NE was the perfect balance they drafted but also new when to go and pick up FA's here and there to fill holes. Plus they were smart enough not to over value their own players and let them walk instead of overpaying them. If GB had taken a more NE approach to FA during Ted's time I would not doubt they would have at least gotten to some more Super Bowl's.

I like the Packers chance at competing for a Super Bowl this season with Rodgers, but it's likely to be the last with him in uniform. Trading him now for picks and young talent to help Love for the next decade isn't a bad option by any means.

Now can the fools in our front office figure that out? That's the real question.
What if the going rate for Rodgers, due to various factors, is a single 1st, likely to be late in the first. What's the cost-benefit there? You throw out one last chance for a SB but you gain what, another Eric Stokes-type pick?

What if the going rate for Rodgers, due to various factors, is a single 1st, likely to be late in the first. What's the cost-benefit there? You throw out one last chance for a SB but you gain what, another Eric Stokes-type pick?
The cold hard truth here, he's going to be 38...staring at 40. Yes, he could have 1 maybe 2 big seasons in him but there are no guarantees and he has an injury history. IF big IF you can get a first and let's say a third for him, you take it...say Thank you and move on.

That gives you 2 number 1's next year and 2 3's..... Yes, you have to draft right but there is no reason you can't add a lot of talent around Love and improve your defense with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Edit: * Rodgers brings more than that, in reality, you're getting a great deal.

LeBron is a cancer. The guy thinks he is above everyone else and that everyone should bow dow to him and tae orders from him. That is the last thing any teams in any sport should allow as you are held hostage by that player.

GB after Wolf let you had a inept GM in Sherman who was not fit for the job and should have never held it. Then you had Ted who did not believe in FA and only believed in draft and develop. That is fine if you are hitting draft pick after draft pick which Ted did not. So you have to learn how to use FA to also fill holes. NE was the perfect balance they drafted but also new when to go and pick up FA's here and there to fill holes. Plus they were smart enough not to over value their own players and let them walk instead of overpaying them. If GB had taken a more NE approach to FA during Ted's time I would not doubt they would have at least gotten to some more Super Bowl's.
James is not a cancer to any organization hes ever been on but I digress ........and I wont hijack this thread for that discussion. And quite honesty the NBA / NFL comparison is not even close and applicable.

NE was smart because they understood who fit the culture, who fit the scheme and system. As I noted they were all n the same page. One thing that NE had that was consistent was a HC and staff who worked. In GB, McCarthy was 2-3 years to long, so was the staff...it was much more than just a GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back