Wisconsin and NIL

Braelon Allen having a softball game next summer and advertising companies interested in NIL deals to contact his reps.

Organizations who are interested in sponsoring the game or are interested in a name, image, and likeness (NIL) partnership can contact event organizer and marketing representative for Braelon Allen, TEAM LAMMI

Braelon Allen having a softball game next summer and advertising companies interested in NIL deals to contact his reps.

Organizations who are interested in sponsoring the game or are interested in a name, image, and likeness (NIL) partnership can contact event organizer and marketing representative for Braelon Allen, TEAM LAMMI
Hope he understands the tax implications

If it smells like Limburger cheese melted on the car's manifold, it probably started in Texas. Kids in HS wanting to hear how much money is in it for them to sign with various schools to play football. It's beginning to sound more like pro sports every day.

I can hear it now. A phone discussion between a recruiter and a Junior in HS.

"We would really like you to visit our university. I think you'll like the campus and the challenge of our football team. As you know, we're only a couple of players away from winning a national title, and you could be one of those players."

"Sounds great!", followed by a hesitation, "How about the rest of it? You know.... the NIL money? Any of it on the table?"

"We can't talk about that Son. You know... the rules? We can't give you anything, and can't offer to have anyone else do it either. Against the rules." Laughter follows. "Did I tell you about the OT from Oklahoma that joined our program? He's part of the offensive line, and every darned one of them is getting an NIL package at $50k a year."

"Wow! That's a lot of money! I could get that much by signing with your school? I'm a center!"

"Well, no guarantees of course. We can't offer them. But all our offensive linemen are getting it. No reason it won't continue while you're here."

You're going to have to explain to me why this isn't already happening. Regardless of state laws, or implementation of state laws, restricting the rights to make a living are going to be a serious problem in stopping this from getting out of control. A legislature that restricts what these kids can make is going to be violating their rights one way or another, and it will be thrown out of the courts. The NCAA is toothless on this.

If it smells like Limburger cheese melted on the car's manifold, it probably started in Texas. Kids in HS wanting to hear how much money is in it for them to sign with various schools to play football. It's beginning to sound more like pro sports every day.

I can hear it now. A phone discussion between a recruiter and a Junior in HS.

"We would really like you to visit our university. I think you'll like the campus and the challenge of our football team. As you know, we're only a couple of players away from winning a national title, and you could be one of those players."

"Sounds great!", followed by a hesitation, "How about the rest of it? You know.... the NIL money? Any of it on the table?"

"We can't talk about that Son. You know... the rules? We can't give you anything, and can't offer to have anyone else do it either. Against the rules." Laughter follows. "Did I tell you about the OT from Oklahoma that joined our program? He's part of the offensive line, and every darned one of them is getting an NIL package at $50k a year."

"Wow! That's a lot of money! I could get that much by signing with your school? I'm a center!"

"Well, no guarantees of course. We can't offer them. But all our offensive linemen are getting it. No reason it won't continue while you're here."

You're going to have to explain to me why this isn't already happening. Regardless of state laws, or implementation of state laws, restricting the rights to make a living are going to be a serious problem in stopping this from getting out of control. A legislature that restricts what these kids can make is going to be violating their rights one way or another, and it will be thrown out of the courts. The NCAA is toothless on this.
No player is restricted from getting an NIL even if the state has not passed legislation or is capped. Now in some states, HS kids can get NIL deals and I believe Texas is one of those states. I have not read one piece of legislation that is restrictive except for some things like alcohol, gambling deals.

I for one like NIL legislation and good for the kids.

No player is restricted from getting an NIL even if the state has not passed legislation or is capped. Now in some states, HS kids can get NIL deals and I believe Texas is one of those states. I have not read one piece of legislation that is restrictive except for some things like alcohol, gambling deals.

I for one like NIL legislation and good for the kids.
That's exactly what I said. There will be no controls over it. As for it being good for the kids, I totally disagree. It's going to be like the NY Yankees of the 30s and 40s. They bought the best players because they had the money to do it. Everyone else was their farm system.

That's not how the system should work. Why even bother to say these guys are going to school for an education? They're going to school for the money, and a chance at making it to the NFL, or NBA, whichever the case.

That's not how the system should work. Why even bother to say these guys are going to school for an education? They're going to school for the money, and a chance at making it to the NFL, or NBA, whichever the case.
That's the part that bothers me and yes it's an old-school mindset. I will concede here publicly I myself don't understand all the rules per se, really don't want to. At this point, I'll just go with it and am trying to ignore all the $$ stuff.

That's exactly what I said. There will be no controls over it. As for it being good for the kids, I totally disagree. It's going to be like the NY Yankees of the 30s and 40s. They bought the best players because they had the money to do it. Everyone else was their farm system.

Look at kids who play basketball now the top kids are not even bothering to waste a year going to college now just going straight to the G league to play for a year before they get drafted. NFL you actually still need 3 years to develop body and learn because no way a 18-19 year old kid would be ready to play in NFL. But heck some of these kids still need to be smart to look ok this school is will set me up with NIL money but am I going to be riding the pine for 3 years until I get the chance to start and will that hurt me getting drafted?

Here's one to think about. Braelon Allen. I'd be willing to bet a shiny penny there are "boosters" out there in football land who are finding surrogates to send messages to him that there's a school out there that's the land of milk and honey, and all he needs to do is go through that portal to making some good money from his college experience.

After reading about the softball gig, I am very curious how this is going to work. When they say charity, how much goes to the organizers, and the "stars" whose name is being used. This could be a huge money maker for Allen, and others, who join him in this thing. Braelon Allen's Charity Softball Game

And that’s what the system has been for decades now it’s just out in the open. Until it changes the power structure (which it won’t IMO) Alabama will still be Alabama, Texas will be Texas, Georgia will be Georgia. NIL laws did not help FSU in recruiting, same with UF, same with Miami. What will be the difference is how schools and athletic departments operate which is already happening. UF and other schools have hired “academic” staff to help with NIL.

For decades schools have made billions off the kids. And guess who is benefiting the most? Female athletes. I’ve been following this for over a year for professional reasons.

Here's one to think about. Braelon Allen. I'd be willing to bet a shiny penny there are "boosters" out there in football land who are finding surrogates to send messages to him that there's a school out there that's the land of milk and honey, and all he needs to do is go through that portal to making some good money from his college experience.

After reading about the softball gig, I am very curious how this is going to work. When they say charity, how much goes to the organizers, and the "stars" whose name is being used. This could be a huge money maker for Allen, and others, who join him in this thing. Braelon Allen's Charity Softball Game
I just hope Allen had some professional tax advisors guiding him on this. Unless it’s a 501C the tax implications might make it a zero sum game. As to the “boosters” with greasy palms, that’s been around for decades.

FWIW….Mertz got a nice NIL deal today

Back