2020 NFL opt out proposal

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
Players can opt out by August 1st. If they opt out they can't take it back they are done for the season. If they opt out they get no base salary or bonus money that would be owed to them after opting out. If they opt out their contract will toll. They can not regnoatie a contract if they opt out. If they opt out they can not hold out for the 2021 season as it would be considered a breach of contract. If a player has a contract past 2020 they would be able to get a $150K advance on their 2021 salary.

So when are will the league / owners address the safety concerns the players have? From all indications from NFLPA / Agent calls there is little or no progress made on this issue.

So when are will the league / owners address the safety concerns the players have? From all indications from NFLPA / Agent calls there is little or no progress made on this issue.
Do you truly think the NFL, after all this time, does not have a plan in place to address safety? That being said, from what I've read the NFLPA keeps pushing back on recommendations - so unless when you're referring to league/owners above you're including the NFLPA . . .
But seriously, I'm sure the NFL, with the lawyer Goodell at the realm, has a very detailed safety plan in place despite the lack of details released to the players (and the media). Just because the big name players haven't been told the safety plan yet, before training camp begins - that doesn't mean there is no plan. When I went back into my company's office, they didn't go over the re-entry plan with me until just a few days before the scheduled return - to make sure that it would be fresh in peoples mind when they came back.

Do you truly think the NFL, after all this time, does not have a plan in place to address safety? That being said, from what I've read the NFLPA keeps pushing back on recommendations - so unless when you're referring to league/owners above you're including the NFLPA . . .
But seriously, I'm sure the NFL, with the lawyer Goodell at the realm, has a very detailed safety plan in place despite the lack of details released to the players (and the media). Just because the big name players haven't been told the safety plan yet, before training camp begins - that doesn't mean there is no plan. When I went back into my company's office, they didn't go over the re-entry plan with me until just a few days before the scheduled return - to make sure that it would be fresh in peoples mind when they came back.
Based on the NFLPA calls no. This is from an agent who has been on the calls.
Listened to every call NFLPA had with players and agents regarding talks with owners. Every time NFLPA mentioned how owners have pushed back against more testing, safer protocols, no preseason and most medical professionals recommendations. It’s simple. No safety no games.

And if you look at tweets form players like Watt, Brees and others that’s inline with this statement. Now I get this is part of the negotiation process but I don’t take much stock in info from Schef and other reporters who are nothing but shills for the league

12 days until drop dead. I don't think we're going to see much movement on anything until hours before the deadline. It's sad that this is the most exciting thing about the NFL at this point.

12 days until drop dead. I don't think we're going to see much movement on anything until hours before the deadline. It's sad that this is the most exciting thing about the NFL at this point.
Rookies are supposed to report this week. It’s the same playbook as MLB. Play the clock down to the deadline and squeeze out what you can

Based on the NFLPA calls no. This is from an agent who has been on the calls.
Listened to every call NFLPA had with players and agents regarding talks with owners. Every time NFLPA mentioned how owners have pushed back against more testing, safer protocols, no preseason and most medical professionals recommendations. It’s simple. No safety no games.

And if you look at tweets form players like Watt, Brees and others that’s inline with this statement. Now I get this is part of the negotiation process but I don’t take much stock in info from Schef and other reporters who are nothing but shills for the league
But you believe every word from people who are shills, and/or work for the players. It's always about how "owners" are in the wrong, and never the players. Let's be honest, just like most debates, I'm guessing both sides are to blame but the court of public opinion always seems to favor the players over the rich, greedy owners.
Again, as I said earlier - with Roger Goodell, a lawyer, running the NFL - I seriously doubt the league hasn't worked long and hard on safety protocols for fear of a large lawsuit. However, that being said - if the NFLPA hasn't been included in planning this from the start, that's an oversight.

I'm guessing the primary issue (which is driving most of the push back) here is about "no preseason" because the players feel that will keep them safer. Most likely because most of the good players don't play pre season games anyways, and those higher paid players are the ones that the NFLPA are listening to.

there is literally no way to ensure the safety of nfl players. heck, they couldn't do it before all this, how can they possibly do it now? guys are going to get hurt. guys are going to get sick. twas always thus, as my dear old mom used to say. the incremental risk that has been added by the current topic that can't be discussed is almost insignificant.

Last edited:
But you believe every word from people who are shills, and/or work for the players. It's always about how "owners" are in the wrong, and never the players. Let's be honest, just like most debates, I'm guessing both sides are to blame but the court of public opinion always seems to favor the players over the rich, greedy owners.
Again, as I said earlier - with Roger Goodell, a lawyer, running the NFL - I seriously doubt the league hasn't worked long and hard on safety protocols for fear of a large lawsuit. However, that being said - if the NFLPA hasn't been included in planning this from the start, that's an oversight.

I'm guessing the primary issue (which is driving most of the push back) here is about "no preseason" because the players feel that will keep them safer. Most likely because most of the good players don't play pre season games anyways, and those higher paid players are the ones that the NFLPA are listening to.
When the CBA was being negotiated 90% of the leaks came from what ownership was either pushing or pushed back on. As I said before this is negotiating. It’s a process. Lot of the same narrative here. Goodell does not run the NFL. 32 owners do. I find it irresponsible, days before camp open that the only thing being reported is about money but with this league I should not be surprised. If you believe Watt’s tweet, and he’s not the only one there is no clarity the week camps open. It’s the MLB playbook

Back