2022 Badger Football Thread

If Mertz was having an enormous career at Wisconsin, some of the best QBs in the nation would be looking at it as an option. Since he isn't, and he was considered a top recruit, they're going to be hesitant on pulling the trigger. Like Fla said. Perception.

That said, we have no idea what happens next with Mertz, but we will find out in a few months. If things don't go well, we might end up seeing the Deacon Hill era at QB sooner than we thought might happen.

I'm not going to predict anything on Hill, because I haven't seen him perform. They say he has a huge arm, and can zip the ball. Also, big, strong, and can shed tacklers.
Well part of reason Mertz struggled las year was the OL was bad

If Mertz was having an enormous career at Wisconsin, some of the best QBs in the nation would be looking at it as an option. Since he isn't, and he was considered a top recruit, they're going to be hesitant on pulling the trigger. Like Fla said. Perception.

That said, we have no idea what happens next with Mertz, but we will find out in a few months. If things don't go well, we might end up seeing the Deacon Hill era at QB sooner than we thought might happen.

I'm not going to predict anything on Hill, because I haven't seen him perform. They say he has a huge arm, and can zip the ball. Also, big, strong, and can shed tacklers.
I tend to agree with you but Wilson’s success at UW did not translate into drawing 4 star QB’s to Madison. Honestly it’s not just Madison but the conference overall does not attract guys outside OSU.

Though QB can only do so much with what he's given UW really did not have that much to throw too. Average at best.

So I am going to weigh in ... again on Mertz. If you folks recall I told you he came from a program in KS that might have overbilled him, still I think there are things that most of the Badger faithful here refuse to swallow.

First, Mertz's weapons at WR were pathetic at UW, He had guys that were slow and ran routes as well as most middle school players. His OL was anything but spectacular... add-in that the OL coach and OC the yr before was awful, and before disputing that he's working for VA Tech now ( nuff said).

Let's add in that PC hasn't proven in any way shape or form to be a decent QB coach, the big problem there is every one of the kids in the program are spread-type QB coming in. PC has no proven history of converting them into pro-style passers.

With the above known for any UW fan to bitch about Mertz is really insane, big problem with 99.8 % of Badger FB fans is they are Packer fans on Sunday and 30 plus years of Favre and Rodgers has them spoiled.

Every damn QB for the past 30 years is the problem... get us a QB we will compete .....bh) UW is built to be a 9-3 get to the Rose bowl deal not be 12-0 and playing the national championship. Never going to happen under current conditions.

Mertz or Stone or whomever it's really not going to matter.

sb(tc(

So I am going to weigh in ... again on Mertz. If you folks recall I told you he came from a program in KS that might have overbilled him, still I think there are things that most of the Badger faithful here refuse to swallow.

First, Mertz's weapons at WR were pathetic at UW, He had guys that were slow and ran routes as well as most middle school players. His OL was anything but spectacular... add-in that the OL coach and OC the yr before was awful, and before disputing that he's working for VA Tech now ( nuff said).

Let's add in that PC hasn't proven in any way shape or form to be a decent QB coach, the big problem there is every one of the kids in the program are spread-type QB coming in. PC has no proven history of converting them into pro-style passers.

With the above known for any UW fan to bitch about Mertz is really insane, big problem with 99.8 % of Badger FB fans is they are Packer fans on Sunday and 30 plus years of Favre and Rodgers has them spoiled.

Every damn QB for the past 30 years is the problem... get us a QB we will compete .....bh) UW is built to be a 9-3 get to the Rose bowl deal not be 12-0 and playing the national championship. Never going to happen under current conditions.

sb(tc(
Agree with what you said. UW will never be more then middle of the pack recuriting in the Big Ten. Will never be able to get those kids to play for a national title. Maybe do they get lucky some year go 11-1 or 10-2 possible but it will be a one off and not a constant. They are not OSU and not even UM. They would not even be able to hang with 75% of the SEC.

sb(tc(
And any school not named OSU or Michigan in the B1G or any school not named Alabama, Georgia or LSU in the SEC has basically the same issue. Unless the CFP expand it’s a group of 6-8 schools competing for 4 spots every year. Why? Simple. Resources and taking advantage of NIL. Have folks looked at what NIL colllectives are doing? Florida announced a collective this week that raised $5m in 2 days as an example. Does UW have one collective. No.

Blame the HC fine. But the administration has been shortsighted for years on how the landscape is changing. And yes a big part of that problem was The Emperor. But now that Barry is playing golf and drinking bourbon in Naples, McIntosh is like a deer in the headlights. But hey that South Endzone expansion I bet impressed some kids to flip from OSU or Michigan.

We throw the word culture out a-lot and rightfully so. But culture is not just on the field or locker room. It’s in the administration also and I am not optimistic that McIntosh is not Barry#2

Thank you for listening to my TedTalk

And any school not named OSU or Michigan in the B1G or any school not named Alabama, Georgia or LSU in the SEC has basically the same issue. Unless the CFP expand it’s a group of 6-8 schools competing for 4 spots every year. Why? Simple. Resources and taking advantage of NIL. Have folks looked at what NIL colllectives are doing? Florida announced a collective this week that raised $5m in 2 days as an example. Does UW have one collective. No.

Blame the HC fine. But the administration has been shortsighted for years on how the landscape is changing. And yes a big part of that problem was The Emperor. But now that Barry is playing golf and drinking bourbon in Naples, McIntosh is like a deer in the headlights. But hey that South Endzone expansion I bet impressed some kids to flip from OSU or Michigan.

We throw the word culture out a-lot and rightfully so. But culture is not just on the field or locker room. It’s in the administration also and I am not optimistic that McIntosh is not Barry#2

Thank you for listening to my TedTalk
100% true as well.

Back