2023 Badger Football Thread

I like that they are recruiting to their scheme and hopefully getting guys that work for them. They are also getting some better options at important positions on offense (QB/WR) and defense (CB/S) that they had some trouble getting in past years. Hopefully that is enough to move things in an upward direction.

All that said, their recruiting is only marginally better than other recent classes and not as good as some - overall. For 2024 they still have a lot of work to do. They still don't have a RB. They still don't have the sort of DL guys it takes to make a difference. Their only WR for '24 is an undersized gadget type guy - a great get, but not a guy you can likely build your passing game around.

I'm happy with what they've done so far for '24, but I'm still waiting for the types of recruits that actually move the needle more, before I say they've really taken things to the next level. There are some bigger fish they are still working on and hopefully they'll finish this class with some big time momentum.

I like that they are recruiting to their scheme and hopefully getting guys that work for them. They are also getting some better options at important positions on offense (QB/WR) and defense (CB/S) that they had some trouble getting in past years. Hopefully that is enough to move things in an upward direction.

All that said, their recruiting is only marginally better than other recent classes and not as good as some - overall. For 2024 they still have a lot of work to do. They still don't have a RB. They still don't have the sort of DL guys it takes to make a difference. Their only WR for '24 is an undersized gadget type guy - a great get, but not a guy you can likely build your passing game around.

I'm happy with what they've done so far for '24, but I'm still waiting for the types of recruits that actually move the needle more, before I say they've really taken things to the next level. There are some bigger fish they are still working on and hopefully they'll finish this class with some big time momentum.
I thought the same thing on RBs. Then I realized that they seem to believe their shelves at RB are stocked well enough for this year, and can start to improve for next year, after players see the opportunities there are, playing at Wisconsin. In the meantime, we all can pretty well concede that there isn't going to be much playing time left behind Allen and Mellusi. There are several guys already in house, who want wants left.

I think they're looking at the portal for next season, and starting to bring in people like Michael Turner for 2025. Michael is out of Woodland Hills, TX. A solid player, who will grow bigger and stronger, before graduation. He has two years of HS left. That's where I see them looking. More down the road.

At first I thought they'd eased off in their hunt for offensive linemen. Then I realized they're looking for a slightly different body dynamic, since there will be splits in the offensive line, and the guys manning those positions are going to have to be a little more athletic than some of the past players, who weren't quite as quick with their footwork.

I know they are looking at several WRs for next year. What they're doing is using this year to showcase what the role of the WR will be in the Badger system. When it shows, on the field, it will open a lot of doors in recruiting in that area. I see a lot of it coming out of Florida and Texas to be honest. There are a lot of kids in those two states who can light it up.

This year is going to be kind of an audition for the program for new recruits. What they see out there, from the Badgers, will tell a lot of kids whether or not they want to give it a shot in Madison.

It's gonna be exciting, watching it play out. I'm even anxious about the OSU game. We should get our heads chopped off, but I want to see if there are any marked improvements, or changes, in how the Badgers react to that kind of competition.

Ryan Glasspiegel

@sportsrapport
·
23m
Big Ten scheduling note: I’m told that the expectation is Wisconsin-Ohio State at Camp Randall on 10/28 will air in primetime on NBC

Ryan Glasspiegel

@sportsrapport
·
23m
Big Ten scheduling note: I’m told that the expectation is Wisconsin-Ohio State at Camp Randall on 10/28 will air in primetime on NBC
Year one under Fickell most still PC guys so just hoping he can get them enspired enough it's not a blowout win for OSU.

Year one under Fickell most still PC guys so just hoping he can get them enspired enough it's not a blowout win for OSU.

I'm pretty sure that anybody that will be beaten before the first snap and quit in the first 5 minutes like last year will not have much playing time.

Badgers get their first RB recruit in the next class, has some nice wheels..can catch out of the backfield. Perfect for this offense

I asked a couple of people who apparently have seen him play. He's a human bowling ball, according to them. He's not tall, but weighs in about 220#, has thighs a lot like Dillon on the Packers, and can run through arm tackles.

The also indicated that he has surprisingly good hands, and although not a great cutter, has fluid hips, and can change direction fairly quickly. He's quick, but not fast. His game will be his ability to get through the second level, for those 10 to 20 yard gains, not long jaunts around the outside like quicker backs.

He needs to learn how to block, even though they say he has the strength to do it. Both people indicated that by the end of next season, he'll be a solid 4-star ranked RB, not just a 3.

He actually broke a lot of long runs TW>>

The defenders he'll play against at the college level will be quicker than what he encounters in HS. They mentioned that his long runs have almost exclusively come from being able to break tackles. It won't be quite so easy in college.

Hopefully, we'll find out how that works out.

Wisconsin has scored its first commitment in the class of 2025...and it's a big one.

Rockwall (Texas.) quarterback Landyn Locke gave an early pledge to head coach Luke Fickell and the Badgers following an unofficial visit earlier this month.

As a sophomore, Locke completed 61 percent of his passes for 1,823 yards and 31 touchdowns to just four interceptions.

Back