College To Pro Misconceptions

You'd be amazed at how many coaches who'd sent these kids home, telling them they weren't good enough to play, who ended up eating their words. We lost our first 3 games, then ran the table winning the next 16, and swept the city championships. Since all my kids were the youngest ones as well, they were on the team the following year, and won all 16 games we played. When it came time for the playoffs, the other teams just handed the title to our kids. They'd been humiliated enough. To be honest, they deserved it. No kids should be dumped from a program.
are you sure you weren't just watching the movie "bad news bears"?

• Haha
Reactions: TW
No. I have two baseballs in glass cases with all the players and coaches names on them. Every kid, and coach also has one. I made the parents get involved, so they earned them as trophies too. For some, it would be the only trophies they'd get in life.

When I go back there, and see some of the kids, and the parents, they almost all say that the balls they have sit in a place of honor in their homes. They earned them, and should be proud. I know I am proud for having them allow me to be part of it.

Did you get the baseballs with everyones name after you hit a different baseball with one on it name over a fence into a neighbor's yard, where it was taken and chewed up by a Mastiff nicknamed "The Beast", and after a series of failed interventions to retrieve the ball, you knocked on the neighbor's door, and in exchange for sitting and talking with him about baseball once a week, he gave you the baseballs with everyone's name on it?

Evaluation of college players and their contributions that will be made at the pro level is not an exact science. Some good players slip through the cracks, and sometimes don't even end up being drafted.

I think the DITR is more of a guy who has more native skills related to the pro game than the college game, and scouts just don't see it. I've seen this happen at so many levels of sports, and so many coaches just don't see their own failure with it.

In baseball, I took a bunch of kids that nobody wanted for their Little League teams in a small city, and turned them into City Champs. It was all about find out what they could do, and letting them enjoy doing it. It wasn't me who made it happen, it was them.

You'd be amazed at how many coaches who'd sent these kids home, telling them they weren't good enough to play, who ended up eating their words. We lost our first 3 games, then ran the table winning the next 16, and swept the city championships. Since all my kids were the youngest ones as well, they were on the team the following year, and won all 16 games we played. When it came time for the playoffs, the other teams just handed the title to our kids. They'd been humiliated enough. To be honest, they deserved it. No kids should be dumped from a program.
Not to hijack the thread but my most enjoyable season playing baseball was 8th grade. We played in the Community All Star League and Mequon never won a championship so they loaded up one team to win it. We played vs Brown Deer, Whitefish Bay, Glendale and Fox Point. Lost game 1, then ran off 13 straight. Our same group went on to win the WIAA Tournament our senior year. Fantastic group and still friends with a lot of guys

Back