Meet New Wisconsin FB Coach Luke Fickell

It certainly appears he is already chasing Championships. I love it. He may not succeed, but it appears he'll be swinging away all the way

It certainly appears he is already chasing Championships. I love it. He may not succeed, but it appears he'll be swinging away all the way
I don't know if he can chase a championship but I think he is trying to get ahead of the curve when USC and UCLA come in and make things harder for everyone in the B1G. Which is smart if he does not get a jump on it the team gets left behind and becomes a middle of the road team in Big Ten.

I don't know if he can chase a championship but I think he is trying to get ahead of the curve when USC and UCLA come in and make things harder for everyone in the B1G. Which is smart if he does not get a jump on it the team gets left behind and becomes a middle of the road team in Big Ten.
This is where expectations come into play. I posted this in a thread a few days ago. Without divisions (highly likely) to play for a B1G Championship is going to be difficult. Even is divisions stay in place, some sort of realignment is probably happening seeing the imbalance. And yes while there will be a vote, there are 7 billion reasons why FOX will have considerable influence in any decision

I'm not certain there won't be divisions. Reason? Only OSU and Michigan would be dead set against it, Penn State, moderate, and USC semi-luke warm on the idea.

Fans will not follow teams that have been eliminated from competition by the 4th game. That's a given.

If I'm a Big 10 school being told that's the case, I'd be voting in favor of divisions.

I'm not certain there won't be divisions. Reason? Only OSU and Michigan would be dead set against it, Penn State, moderate, and USC semi-luke warm on the idea.

Fans will not follow teams that have been eliminated from competition by the 4th game. That's a given.

If I'm a Big 10 school being told that's the case, I'd be voting in favor of divisions.
The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 have already moved in that direction. The league wants multiple shots at bids to the tournament and this is a better system for that. PSU I can tell you hates the current system. The goal will be for 3-4 teams be in conversation for a bid to the tournament. It’s works in basketball. And let’s not forget who has the most influence

The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 have already moved in that direction. The league wants multiple shots at bids to the tournament and this is a better system for that. PSU I can tell you hates the current system. The goal will be for 3-4 teams be in conversation for a bid to the tournament. It’s works in basketball. And let’s not forget who has the most influence
I think question will be if you do that how do you set up rotation to teams to play Do you have were you maybe play 1 rivarly team each year then play 7 other teams one year and the other 7 teams the next year?

I think question will be if you do that how do you set up rotation to teams to play Do you have were you maybe play 1 rivarly team each year then play 7 other teams one year and the other 7 teams the next year?
A second question is how many conference games will you play? It begs the question as to whether or not it's possible to reduce the normal schedule by two games, then have a 4 team "cross over" playoff?

Example: #1 East plays #2 West, and #1 West plays #2 East, then the winners play off for the conference championship. At all levels below that, the correlating teams below the top 2? As an example of this, cross over 3 & 4, 5 & 6, and 7 & 8. Last game winner paired, and losers paired.

It's not as complicated as it sounds, and it could mean for some interesting football.

Coach Fickell is going to surprise a lot of people.
I've watched him in action at UC. UW made a wonderful hire. I have no doubt he'll be knocking on the B1G Championship door during his tenure.

Actually TW they were close to having te votes last weekend to eliminate divisions, and SEC is doing the same. Those two are going to load up the playoffs by having a regular-season champ etc. I think you will see 3 from each in the 12-team playoff minimum.

Divisions would be a hindrance to both conferences who I suspect add a couple of teams each beyond what we know.

Back