Next Badgers Football Coach

As to the offense under JL. Found this interesting
“Leonhard said the great equalizer in college football right now is a quarterback that can make plays with his feet. Said you can play perfect defense and still get beat because of the QB can make something out of nothing.”

Well that’s not Mertz.
It's been obvious that's the key to a decent offense in college football for a long time. You need guys who can run with the ball, not look like they're mired in quick sand. But be careful how you read his statement. It doesn't necessarily mean a "run first QB." It can also refer to a QB who can make things happen in the passing game, when he's out of the pocket.

I believe that's what they thought they had with Mertz, when they recruited him. He does seem to throw pretty well at times, when on the move.

It's been obvious that's the key to a decent offense in college football for a long time. You need guys who can run with the ball, not look like they're mired in quick sand. But be careful how you read his statement. It doesn't necessarily mean a "run first QB." It can also refer to a QB who can make things happen in the passing game, when he's out of the pocket.

I believe that's what they thought they had with Mertz, when they recruited him. He does seem to throw pretty well at times, when on the move.
My take was more the Adrian Martinez type QB not run first. Mertz sees the files much better on the move but he’s not going to beat you with his legs if the play breaks down. Some other examples, Hooker @ Tennessee, Daniels @ Kansas, even Gabriel @ Oklahoma.

SorryBUT>>>>, last year National champion UGA, QB Stetson Bennett, 259 rushings last yr... this yr 169 yards rushing. He's as mobile as Mertz but they have a much better scheme with stellar athletes at the skills for him.

Record this year and last 25-1 and a national championship. You win by playing stellar defense and running a balanced attack...the whole mobile QB thing is overstated. WI needs a dynamic OC that can compliment their players and they need real WR with wheels.tc(

SorryBUT>>>>, last year National champion UGA, QB Stetson Bennett, 259 rushings last yr... this yr 169 yards rushing. He's as mobile as Mertz but they have a much better scheme with stellar athletes at the skills for him.

Record this year and last 25-1 and a national championship. You win by playing stellar defense and running a balanced attack...the whole mobile QB thing is overstated. WI needs a dynamic OC that can compliment their players and they need real WR with wheels.tc(
I agree. I want a QB who understands his role, and can find receivers when it's a pass play. That's why I'd like a QB who could be a run threat, when the opportunity presents itself, but more inclined to buy time, to complete that pass.

On the question of an OC? That has to be priority one for whomever gets the Badgers HC job. Then, whether it's JL as HC, or someone else, the DC "must" be someone who can recruit people who can play the pass, as well as maintain the level of recruiting at LB, and even improve DL recruiting a tad.

And you need a treasure chest of 4 & 5 star kids on both sides of the ball to pull off what UGA is doing. Is a dual threat the answer no, but it does do want the 3 point shot has done in hoops as JL said “great equalizer”. No team not named Bama or OSU can play toe to toe with UGA.

makes sense UW is out...they are committing big $ to facilities for him. Good fit
Even more so if you said that Nebraska is zeroing in on Washington State HC.

There are 3 names associated with that job.... not sure which ultimately ends up with it.
Monken probably fits what Alberts wants, Boosters probably like Ruhle as the “sexy” hire. One thing I’ve heard is whoever gets the job is that they want Mickey Turner retained on the staff FWIW

Back