Official Packers Off Season Pre-Draft Thread

You end up getting flogged by teams when your offense ends up one-dimensional because the scoreboard is against you. The Packers don't have the offensive power to put up a 45 to 50 point game as part of a shoot out. If they did, everyone would be talking about how the defense was darned good, except against teams with high powered offenses.

When you cut down from 25 points a game to 20, that's a good drop. Granted, we didn't stop the really good offenses, but that's to be expected. You just need to unleash more offense, to neutralize their ability. Make them one-dimensional, like what happened to us this year, and the wheels fall off their game.

It would also help if the Packers didn't turn the ball over for short fields to the opposition so often. Those scores are on the offense's shoulders, not the defense.

Packers receivers coach Alvis Whitted has been let go, a source said. Coach Matt LaFleur is on the lookout for a replacement.

I have seen several mock drafts having GB selecting a WR. I am not saying that will not happen but am not convinced this move will instantly bring in a rookie WR as ARods no#2 which is apparently sorely needed. If GB is looking for a no#2 it makes more sense in examining the free agent market or in a possible trade (which will not be an easy task considering what is available). Also a stud vet TE who can block and the ability to make some clutch catches (like a J Cook did) would help. Nevertheless the Packers had a decent season for a team that made it to the NFC Championship Game with basically a 9-7 team. They have more than just 2 holes to fill which we all know for sure, so I hope Gute works some magic unlike what TT did.

I have seen several mock drafts having GB selecting a WR. I am not saying that will not happen but am not convinced this move will instantly bring in a rookie WR as ARods no#2 which is apparently sorely needed. If GB is looking for a no#2 it makes more sense in examining the free agent market or in a possible trade (which will not be an easy task considering what is available). Also a stud vet TE who can block and the ability to make some clutch catches (like a J Cook did) would help. Nevertheless the Packers had a decent season for a team that made it to the NFC Championship Game with basically a 9-7 team. They have more than just 2 holes to fill which we all know for sure, so I hope Gute works some magic unlike what TT did.
All the talking heads think WR is #1 issue and Packers must take one in first round. IMO I am not sold on a 1st round WR. You may be looking at the 6th or 7th WR at number 30 left in the draft. I am not sold that the 6th or 7th WR is worthy of a 1st round pick and that you can get the same talent at 62 in the draft. If there is a better player at any spot you take them WR is a need but you don't go out and reach for one taking 2nd round talent just to get one.

All the talking heads think WR is #1 issue and Packers must take one in first round. IMO I am not sold on a 1st round WR. You may be looking at the 6th or 7th WR at number 30 left in the draft. I am not sold that the 6th or 7th WR is worthy of a 1st round pick and that you can get the same talent at 62 in the draft. If there is a better player at any spot you take them WR is a need but you don't go out and reach for one taking 2nd round talent just to get one.
you are not going to get the #6 or #7 WR at 30. Maybe 4th assuming Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy are gone. Jefferson and Shenault would be mid round 1st if not for how deep this class is. You might get Hamler at 62 but thats a big drop off from Jefferson and /or Shenault. who will not be there at 62

Picking at 30, it's impossible to sort out how things will fall. Broadly speaking, I think one of the things that has hurt us the past few drafts has been giving up too many picks on day 2 and not making the most of them. We gave up third rounders in trades in both 2018 and 2019, and then unwisely traded back into the 3rd in 2018 for Oren Burks, giving up more picks. Assuming a run on OT in the first, which always happens, unless there is a QB or WR or ILB that they love, I'd rather them trade back into the first quarter of the 2nd round and go from there.

If Josh Jones or Murray is there you take them at 30 IMO you either get your RT of the future or your starting ILB. Now if both are gone then go BPA.

Back