Packers Culture Change

Budman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Legend In His Own Mind
Reaction score

I posted this in shout last night but to me, this article is refreshing and indicative of the culture change happening in the locker room. I know it's a fluff piece but it's very telling. Look down at the quote from Preston Smith:

“It all starts with attitude,” said Preston Smith, who had a career-high three sacks against Denver, including a strip sack of Joe Flacco that rookie Rashan Gary recovered at the Broncos’ 5-yard line in the second quarter.

“We talked to the guys when we first came in here about the mindset that was in the past and the mindset we wanted to have. We always have to have a dominant mindset when we step on the field. When I got here, I looked at the roster and realized there’s a lot of talented guys in here.”

Someone coming in from another program and taking on some leadership. It's great to see this happening. Gutey did well with bringing in the 3 on the defensive side of the ball. Those three bring a presence on and off the field.

My hot take is that you credit Gute for this. The defense is leading the way, and last year he recognized immediately that it had turned stale and there was no leadership and limited skill. He cut bait on everyone who defined them and brought in good players from winning defenses (maybe not Washington but they've had some good D's) - Z Smith, Amos, P Smith - to re-set the locker room and it's paid off massively right now. On top of that, Gute brought in Milt Hendrickson from Baltimore on the pro personnel side, another guy who had a large part in building a consistently strong team.

Now you add in ML and let him bring his own good energy to the table, allowing these guys and coaches room to breathe and do their thing and stressing the importance of 53, not just 1 (we know the 1).

So that's all great right now and I'm glad it's giving everyone confidence. However, the true test of a culture change is what happens when you lose. What happens when you lose badly. How do you respond in game with adversity strikes. It will happen sooner or later, and I'm looking at that game in Dallas in two weeks. Let's see how it plays out after that.

My hot take is that you credit Gute for this. The defense is leading the way, and last year he recognized immediately that it had turned stale and there was no leadership and limited skill. He cut bait on everyone who defined them and brought in good players from winning defenses (maybe not Washington but they've had some good D's) - Z Smith, Amos, P Smith - to re-set the locker room and it's paid off massively right now. On top of that, Gute brought in Milt Hendrickson from Baltimore on the pro personnel side, another guy who had a large part in building a consistently strong team.

Now you add in ML and let him bring his own good energy to the table, allowing these guys and coaches room to breathe and do their thing and stressing the importance of 53, not just 1 (we know the 1).

So that's all great right now and I'm glad it's giving everyone confidence. However, the true test of a culture change is what happens when you lose. What happens when you lose badly. How do you respond in game with adversity strikes. It will happen sooner or later, and I'm looking at that game in Dallas in two weeks. Let's see how it plays out after that.
I think you're spot on in that assessment. By no means am I hoping for a loss but we'll see how they respond when adversity hits. I have a feeling they'll respond just find. It just feels like a team this year.

Found this over on the Athletic with Rodgers talking about ML culture change.... read carefully.

And that simple act highlighted another aspect of LaFleur’s program that Rodgers believes is also making a difference, along with the constant competition.

“You’re just always communicating with someone. I think that’s the difference in this program. There’s just always communication going on,” Rodgers said, adding that LaFleur is using a phone app called TeamWorks to keep players, coaches and staff more connected to each other. “Whether it’s, ‘Hey, what songs do you want to hear at practice?’ Or, ‘Here’s a meeting change in the schedule.’ I just think the communication is so much better than we’ve ever had around here.

“I think that’s partly because of how this team truly enjoys each other – there’s not a bad apple on the squad – and partly because we’re competing. Every day. There’s just been a lot of changes to the system, and a lot of them have been really positive.”

Found this over on the Athletic with Rodgers talking about ML culture change.... read carefully.

i33DQk.jpg

Back