Packers Release Jordy Nelson

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Packers go through with a long speculated but nevertheless surprising move. I don't need to go over Jordy's accomplishments in his 10 year career with the Packers, but I think Bob McGinn summed up the current state of his play pretty well. If you buy this, it's not hard to see the wisdom in the move.

JORDY NELSON (77%): Didn’t do anything in training camp, exhibition games or in 806 snaps. The only judgment, at 32 and in his 10th season, is that Nelson has hit the proverbial wall. Lived on his six TD passes from Aaron Rodgers in the first five games to elude scrutiny over his ongoing collapse. Other than a 32-yard “free” play against the unsuspecting Seahawks, his TD passes measured 1, 3, 4, 8 and 10 yards. Never caught another in what was by far his poorest season. Rodgers’ injury was just a convenient excuse. He couldn’t beat press coverage or separate downfield. He also developed a disturbing habit of falling down for little or no reason when the ball arrived. His average gain after the catch of 2.30 was the lowest of his career; on 67.9% of his 53 catches he gained two or fewer yards post-catch. Of all WRs with 25 or more receptions, Nelson ranked third worst in yards per catch at 9.1. Late in the season his hands and blocking deserted him, too. His long catch from Game 6 on was 17 yards. After averaging 20.7 receptions for 20 or more yards in his last three full seasons Nelson had four in 2017. There’s no reason to bring Nelson back for the final year of his contract at $9.25 million base salary. If the Packers think his legs are gone, release him. Grade: D-minus.

Jordy did sure seem to slow down this year. Did not have the break off the line and seems that Adams took the role of #1 WR from him. Great player but best to walk away while you still have something then hang on to be a player who could not let go.

Packers in full blown rebuild mode...

Now to cut Matthews....

Always tough to see a great Packer leave. Good luck to Jordy. Had a helluva run in GB. Some of the best body control I have ever seen.

bob mcginn is so over the top when he's criticizing anything to do with the packers. he's grinding that axe 24/7. but if what we saw on the field this past season was really all that jordy has left, then it is probably best to let him go. still makes me sad. he was one of my favorite modern-day packers.

Wow, my money would have been on Cobb and maybe still would happen...shocked at this move and bet AR isn't happy

Wow, my money would have been on Cobb and maybe still would happen...shocked at this move and bet AR isn't happy

yeah, i really thought cobb would be the first one out the door. i heard that rodgers' price just went up another million per year.

Back