Post Game: GB Knocks off Chicago 10-3

Beat Chicago at their own game in their house. That was a tough defense to try to get our legs under us.
Special teams were okay with JK Scott coming of age on national TV. Five punts inside the 20 and a 63 yarder when we needed it most!
That last punt was amazing; and then the defense finished it off. The offense, while not putting up big points, did just enough to win and moved the ball when needed (after Q1)

Saw a stat this morning, connected to that final sack by P-Smith.

In that game when Z-Smith and P-Smith lined up next to each other on the same side, they pressured the QB on 50% of the plays.

That is a phenomenal stat.

I gotta say it.

Game Ball to Gute for having they stones to spend big in FA on Amos and "The Smith's". The previous GM would have never-ever considered making that kind of bold move.

So far, it looks good. Let's hope it's a sneak-peek at what's to come. thumbsup

With 5 of the next 6 at home this win sets up for a nice start. Its week 1, Chicago's offense will not scare anyone but the defense seemed to play downhill more than in the past, but again its week 1. OL needs work, WR except 17 looks shaky at best and just pray 33 stays healthy. Lot to like, a lot to pump the brakes on but its a week 1 win on the road, in the division.

Nothing negative for me. Huge division road win, new coach gets off to a great start against a very good team, etc. No injuries that I know of. 69 got most of his holding calls out of the way early.
Best sign? MLF outcoached Nagy, whom I believe is a very good coach.
Pettiine gets most of the props, though. Holy mother of ****, that was a beautiful turn in by the defense.

Loved the way the secondary played sound, fundamental football tonight. No one got out of position, no blown coverages to speak of. Owned their matchups for the most part. Brown was the guy they picked on, but shit- they got 3 points.

Front 7 mostly good- Clark was excellent. The Smiths made a nice splash.

Rodgers held the ball too long on at least 3 of those sacks. But the Bears front is one of the 3-4 best in the NFL. That’s a heck of a way to start a season against the group.

Its a W. The defense demonstrated full command of the playbook. Would rather see the hat we saw tonight than a 41-38 win. On to the Vikings!

This was the first division road win for GB since 2016, and to do it in Chicago against that defense, which even in a loss looked arguably better than ours, and on opening night - I don't care how they got it done, blood and guts, brass knuckles, barely making enough plays to get that 10 pts, it's impressive and a great start to the year and the ML era.

First off, I thought both teams offensive operations looked just awful and showed how there is no substitute for live game reps. It looked like we were having trouble getting plays in, getting up to the line. Couple times we had 10 guys in the huddle. Couple times the Bears had 10 guys in the huddle. Bears had two delay of game penalties - at home! - on the same drive. Just a lot of ugly on the operations side from both teams.

But credit where due, that Chicago D looks damn good. There's not a weak spot in the front 7. I knew they had Mack, Floyd, Ro Smith, Goldman and Hicks but they have another DT they're rotating in who was kicking ass as well. It's hard to run any sort of stretch plays when your OL is out of sync and unpracticed, but especially against that kind of talent that can win so quickly. And In MM's offense if the OL is out of sorts you get stuffed for no gain; with this zone stuff those are losses of 2-3 yards.

If we're handing out credit where due, well here's to the Packer D, the stars of the night. Credit the players and credit Pettine, because the Bears seemed to make plays when individuals won matchups, but it looked like every time they tried to scheme something open, we had a guy right on top of it with support flying to the ball. Very few busted coverages. It's just wild how much turnover there was on D from last year, and most if not all of the underperforming problem guys are gone and have been replaced. Both Smiths racked up some pressures, had a couple sakcs but most importantly set the strong edges all night that allowed our D to contain their running game. Amos was solid and came away with the pick at an important moment - he also combined with Kenny Clark on a massive run stuff on 3rd and short on Patterson. Savage was tested a couple times and had 2-3 PBUs. Next year some of those are going to be INTs. Alexander just fights tooth and nail for every ball, Raven Greene played admirably at ILB with Martinez.

And give it up for JK Scott and dare I say, the special teams? They were an extension of the defense, I think he had 4-5 punts down inside the 20 including that massive 63 yarder at the end of the game. As the game went on he actually felt like a weapon.

So not going to go nuts, next week we face a QB who can actually throw the ball and it'll be a whole different ballgame. The D will come back to earth, to what degree we don't know yet but the tools are there for this to be a legit top 10 group this year. And I was wayyyyy off on the O, I thought they might have something up their sleeve but they will be a work in progress. On to Minnesota.

Did anyone see Aaron giving Pettine a playful shove? Pettine just stood there and laughed.

aaron-rodgers-mike-pettine.jpg

this photo doesn't quite capture it, but the panicked looks on the other coaches faces (including lafleur) was priceless.

So who do you think was player of the game? Rodgers, Z Smith, P Smith, Amos?

Back