Post Game Thread: New England defeats Green Bay

Yep. Could someone *please* explain this to me?

I know the OL was challenged. I know we didn't have Alison and Cobb isn't 'all that' anymore. I know Graham moves with all the speed of a melting iceberg.....so is it just the culmination?

Or is it all MM?
Consider you've been running the same scheme more or less 13 years. Bud said it one post earlier it's stale. Why not go get a young HC with an all new staff. I know people here are enamored with MP on defense but we've had the pressure 34 for a while too... change it all up. Bring things no one expects.

Quick note before work, keep reading all over where the defense is doing "enough to win" I call BS. They gave up 455 yards total offense ( less NE best two weapons) very little to no pressure all night and no take away's. Time for these people to step away from the kool aid.

Injuries really hampered the defense and the offense had maybe 3 or 4 good drives only 3 of which resulted in scores.

Martinez (returned-ankle), Whitehead (hothead), King (hammy), Bulaga all left the game.

Alexander did as well but I think he returned. Brice might have been banged up too.

Defense got its act straightened out but youth hurt them in the end. Offense was no help.

Offense was ineffective for a large swath of the game. Injuries to Bulaga did not help, but Spriggs held up better than Taylor in pass pro. Pass protection was shaky but even when he had time the old bugaboo of trying to win ISO routes against man coverage hurt the team though Scantron might help solve that problem next year.

The base plays of the McCarthy offense are no longer enough for this team to succeed. The much ballyhooed playbook redo (mostly by reporters eager for a scoop) has turned out to be mostly smoke screen. McCarthy has adjusted, noticeably, but when push comes to shove, its back to 3x1 formations, no motion, no bunches and no help beating man to man coverage.

Stupid plays put the nail in the coffin: Whitehead cost them a body they needed, the Tonyan penalty kept a drive alive and cost them time and a bit of field position. And the Jones fumble was a killer even if it was almost fun to see Lawrence "Just A" Guy make the play.

When a team is frustrated, and doesn't have an answer to what's happening to them on the field, they make dumb mistakes, and coaching errors are magnified. Then you watch as receivers become "spectators," figuring they aren't going to get the ball anyway. Jimmy Graham has spent more time as a spectator than a receiver. Apparently the only time he works a route well is when he's one of the top 2 in the pecking order.

This team will not change, nor will it be a consistent winner, no matter who they grab in the draft, or free agency, because their offense and defense have become totally predictable, and out of date like wearing brimmed hats.

If Murphy doesn't find the courage to dump the entire crew, and start over, he should be sent packing too. This team is in total disarray, and it can only get worse. Eventually, we won't even have Rodgers to make the Packers appear mediocre at best.

This team is what it is. An average team with an elite QB...

I doubt GB makes a change. First priority is building titletown district not SB... And that takes $$$. Until fans start hitting them in the profit margin there's no reason to change.

This team is what it is. An average team with an elite QB...

I doubt GB makes a change. First priority is building titletown district not SB... And that takes $$$. Until fans start hitting them in the profit margin there's no reason to change.

This team is not even average. You put a Alex Smith on this team I think your lucky to get 3 wins in a season.

Yep. Could someone *please* explain this to me?

I know the OL was challenged. I know we didn't have Alison and Cobb isn't 'all that' anymore. I know Graham moves with all the speed of a melting iceberg.....so is it just the culmination?

Or is it all MM?

HH, it is MM and his offense. Like Jennings said, it is the same things over and over. No creativity and the D knows what is coming. Th only reason we move the football is because AR throws into tight windows and makes great throws or the WR's make great catches. Look at the tape last night when we move on offense. Of course, Jones has a little bit to do with our offense moving as well. This is why the Saints, Rams, and Patriots are 3 of the best offenses in the league. They are creative, scheme guys open, and put their playmakers in position to succeed. Something MM does not come close to doing.

Back