Post Game Thread ~ Packers Defeat Raiders 42-24

Appearing in his 172nd career NFL game, Aaron Rodgers surpassed Drew Brees (180 games) as the fastest quarterback to reach 350 career touchdown passes in NFL history. Rodgers now has 22 career games with at least four touchdown passes, surpassing Pro Football Hall of Famer Dan Marino (21 games) for the fifth-most such games in NFL history.

Ok, so I finally watched the game. Here are my thoughts:

Offense:

This was the most consistent game of the season so far. We ran the ball very well. I know Jones only had 50 yards but he averaged 4.2 per carry. AR was so on that it did not matter. The o-line gets another game ball from me. Great blocking all around. They also protected AR all day.

Thumbs Up

Aaron Rodgers- Damn! What a game.
Aaron Jones- Solid game running and catching the ball. Great TD catch!
Matt Le Fluer- Great job calling the game today. He has more wrinkles in this offense than Kirk Douglas! (He is will be 103 in December! Congrats to him)
WR's- They all stepped up more today. Although, I think AR threw a lot of them open.

Defense

They actually played fairly well against the run except 2 huge runs. We got crushed in the middle by their TE's; especially, Waller. Our CB's actually only gave up 94 yards to their WR's. That means we gave up 184 yards in the air to TE's and RB's. That is a LB and Safety issue. When we get Savage back hopefully that will help take care of some of that. We still need a good cover LB and all around LB.

Thumbs Up

CB's- I actually think King and Alexander played pretty well. They gave up a few catches but overall looked good, IMO.
Amos- I thought he played well. The long TE catch was on Redman, IMO. It looked like he was supposed to help and that is why Amos was not there. He also has the tip for the King INT.

Thumbs Down

Redman- This kid is too inconsistent.
D-Line- No sacks, hardly any pressures, and gave up two huge runs. Run them until they puke on Tuesday practice.
Martinez and Goodson- These two got beat constantly by the TEs and RBs. We are weak in the middle again.

A good win and like I said the Offense played its best game of the season. Let's hope that continues. This D is better than last year but still has the weakness against the run and the middle of the field against the pass. Even though the Chiefs don't have Mahomes next week, (which sucks) I think Andy Reid will expose us in that area. We will see how Pettine adjusts to that. 6-1! On to the KC!

A couple other things:

Gruden called a great game today. Some of the plays were great calls for our D on the field. He really focused on the TE's and working on our LB coverage.

The Raiders ran tons of WR picks in this game. At least 4 or 5. They could have been called a couple of times. Tough to defend those. Not giving the D any excuses by any means just thought it was interesting.

Ok, so I finally watched the game. Here are my thoughts:

Offense:

This was the most consistent game of the season so far. We ran the ball very well. I know Jones only had 50 yards but he averaged 4.2 per carry. AR was so on that it did not matter. The o-line gets another game ball from me. Great blocking all around. They also protected AR all day.

Thumbs Up

Aaron Rodgers- Damn! What a game.
Aaron Jones- Solid game running and catching the ball. Great TD catch!
Matt Le Fluer- Great job calling the game today. He has more wrinkles in this offense than Kirk Douglas! (He is will be 103 in December! Congrats to him)
WR's- They all stepped up more today. Although, I think AR threw a lot of them open.

Defense

They actually played fairly well against the run except 2 huge runs. We got crushed in the middle by their TE's; especially, Waller. Our CB's actually only gave up 94 yards to their WR's. That means we gave up 184 yards in the air to TE's and RB's. That is a LB and Safety issue. When we get Savage back hopefully that will help take care of some of that. We still need a good cover LB and all around LB.

Thumbs Up

CB's- I actually think King and Alexander played pretty well. They gave up a few catches but overall looked good, IMO.
Amos- I thought he played well. The long TE catch was on Redman, IMO. It looked like he was supposed to help and that is why Amos was not there. He also has the tip for the King INT.

Thumbs Down

Redman- This kid is too inconsistent.
D-Line- No sacks, hardly any pressures, and gave up two huge runs. Run them until they puke on Tuesday practice.
Martinez and Goodson- These two got beat constantly by the TEs and RBs. We are weak in the middle again.

A good win and like I said the Offense played its best game of the season. Let's hope that continues. This D is better than last year but still has the weakness against the run and the middle of the field against the pass. Even though the Chiefs don't have Mahomes next week, (which sucks) I think Andy Reid will expose us in that area. We will see how Pettine adjusts to that. 6-1! On to the KC!
We got Savage coming back, Ibrahim Campbell and Burks is also on the mend. We shall see. Not sure Redman ready for prime time. Young player, developmental. Next man up after Raven Greene.

Defense

Saw a lot of calls for Savage yesterday in shout, but this wasn't a FS issue, IMO the guy they really missed was Raven Greene. I have to go back and look to confirm but it seemed to me that they went heavy personnel most of the game to stop Jacobs, and as you said outside that first drive it more or less worked. That gave them the Smiths on the outside, with Lancaster, Lowry and Clark on the inside, with Blake and a lot of Goodson at ILB. Those last two are a major liability in pass D, and it loos like they played a lot of zone to try and compensate. Gruden just absolutely took it to Pettine on this one with his TEs. Maybe you can get away with one lead-foot ILB, but not two. That's where they missed Greene - he can hold up to the running game but also cover like a S. That's the kind of ILB we need, and I know this will run afoul of the Blake Boosters but you can't make that guy your long term solution at ILB either.

And maybe that game plan is workable if your pass rush is getting home, but Carr was getting the ball out so fast, and they were doubling up the Smiths and giving those inside guys one-on-one pass rush opportunities and they just got stoned. Credit to the Raiders OL for a job well done but other teams in the NFC can duplicate and execute that plan against us, need to find a solution with the personnel we have.

One element of this game that's going a little under the radar due to the lopsided score is that ST has been atrocious. Two teams in a row showing complete disrespect for our return unit and exploiting it. At this point I'd cut Shep and sign him back to the PS, no one is going to pick him up and I'd rather see Grant worked in as a slot WR. I'd elevate Treman Smith, at least the guy has speed and poses a threat in the return game, he's proven he can do it before. Yesterday Rodgers and the O made it look easy but we can't be starting every drive from the 17 yard line.

On the other side, our own coverage units have looked bad as well. Trevor Davis had way too much room to run and maneuver. This is one of those hidden yardage things that strong teams take care of while bad teams let it hurt them.

Saw a lot of calls for Savage yesterday in shout, but this wasn't a FS issue, IMO the guy they really missed was Raven Greene. I have to go back and look to confirm but it seemed to me that they went heavy personnel most of the game to stop Jacobs, and as you said outside that first drive it more or less worked. That gave them the Smiths on the outside, with Lancaster, Lowry and Clark on the inside, with Blake and a lot of Goodson at ILB. Those last two are a major liability in pass D, and it loos like they played a lot of zone to try and compensate. Gruden just absolutely took it to Pettine on this one with his TEs. Maybe you can get away with one lead-foot ILB, but not two. That's where they missed Greene - he can hold up to the running game but also cover like a S. That's the kind of ILB we need, and I know this will run afoul of the Blake Boosters but you can't make that guy your long term solution at ILB either.

And maybe that game plan is workable if your pass rush is getting home, but Carr was getting the ball out so fast, and they were doubling up the Smiths and giving those inside guys one-on-one pass rush opportunities and they just got stoned. Credit to the Raiders OL for a job well done but other teams in the NFC can duplicate and execute that plan against us, need to find a solution with the personnel we have.
We are getting more personnel back though. I think we'll be ok. Savage, Burks, Campbell.

Shephard will go down to PS once we trade for Larry Fitzgerald.

We are getting more personnel back though. I think we'll be ok. Savage, Burks, Campbell.

Shephard will go down to PS once we trade for Larry Fitzgerald.

Maybe if we had a veteran FS like Nick Collins or a vet ball hawking corner like Wood, they jump one of those routes and take it to the house. As it is, with young corners and Savage having that skillset but not nearly enough experience, it was fish in a barrel for them. Communication breakdowns were everywhere.

Back