Post game Thread : Rams Defeat Green Bay 29-27

I thought several players stepped up today. Alexander was in it to win it. Martinez was playing sideline to sideline, and doing a great job shutting down Gurley when he was manned up on him. That wasn't an easy task. The defensive line played well. They put a lot of pressure on Goff, and showed they could match up with the best offensive teams in the NFL. On offense, young receivers stepped up. They are maturing darned fast. Rodgers had some good moments. Who is #80? Is he still on the team? It's hard to say. I watched him be a spectator on a couple of occasions where he could have sat down on routes and had easy catch and runs. Instead, he just stood and watched the game as if he didn't belong out there... maybe he don't?

Montgomery is who he is. He made a mistake. He should have known before he went on the field that he was not going to take the ball out of the end zone. I don't think we've moved beyond the 25 more than 4 times this year on kickoffs, and that would have allowed Rodgers to move the ball on one play before the two minute warning. A valuable tool, lost, along with the game.

Assuming Monty wasn't smart enough to use the right judgment, where the hell was Zook? As I've said before, and nothing has changed, the third in a line of ST coaches brought in by McCarthy and they all suck.

Outside of the stupidity involved with that kick return, I'm going to say the Packers played a solid game, and showed they could be in it with anyone. The problem is, when you shoot yourself in the foot like this, there's a serious hangover, and with the string of games we have ahead, it could be lights out for the season.

Assuming Monty wasn't smart enough to use the right judgment, where the hell was Zook? As I've said before, and nothing has changed, the third in a line of ST coaches brought in by McCarthy and they all suck.

That's what I thought, too. But I've been reading around, and perhaps, for once, it isn't the fault of coaching.

~~~~~~~

Get this:

As Greg Zuerlein's kickoff sailed into the end zone, Rodgers fully expected return man Ty Montgomery to kneel down for a touchback, given that the running back had been instructed by his coaches to do just that. Instead, Montgomery caught the ball two yards deep and raced up the middle of the field, crossing the 20 before being met by the Rams' Ramik Wilson. And then, a green-and-gold nightmare: Wilson's hard hit on Montgomery dislodged the football, which the L.A. linebacker would recover under a pile.

The recovery provoked loud cheers from about half of the 75,822 fans and aghast groans from the other half (hey, the Packers travel well) -- and, according to witnesses, a very conspicuous display of anger from the quarterback who'd been denied the type of opportunity for which he lives.

"Aaron was hot," said one Packerscoach. "And he had a right to be. He yelled, 'Take a f------ knee!' He was very, very mad."

In the eyes of many of Rodgers' teammates, his ire was justifiable. According to more than a half-dozen Packers players and coaches who witnessed it, Montgomery had thrown a tantrum of his own on Green Bay's previous offensive series, becoming noticeably enraged on the sideline after being removed from the game. At least one player believed there was carryover from that incident to Montgomery's decision to disregard his coaches' instruction and return the kickoff.

"They took him out (the previous drive) for a play and he slammed his helmet and threw a fit," one Packers player said. "Then (before the kickoff) they told him to take a knee, and he ran it out anyway. You know what that was? That was him saying, 'I'm gonna do me.' It's a f----- joke.

"I mean, what the f--- are you doing? We've got Aaron Rodgers, the best I've ever seen, and you're gonna take that risk? I mean, it's '12'! All you gotta do is give him the ball, and you know what's gonna happen."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000980254/article/rodgers-doesnt-get-chance-at-hollywood-ending

So as far as I'm concerned, cut Montgomery. Today. He was told what to do; he was pissed off; and he cost the Packers the game.

Last edited:
That's what I thought, too. But I've been reading around, and perhaps, for once, it isn't the fault of coaching.

~~~~~~~

Get this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000980254/article/rodgers-doesnt-get-chance-at-hollywood-ending

So as far as I'm concerned, cut Montgomery. Today. He was told what to do; he was pissed off; and he cost the Packers the game.

Here's the problem HH, I no longer buy into anything coming from that sideline. Randell is a prime example of "trouble" and all the teammates mad..coaches pissed. Yesterday I read a bunch of stuff from Clevland that totally undoes all that. He's the third guy like that has left and flourished outside of this staff... No matter the circumstance you don't throw teammates under the bus publicly. This shows a lack of leadership and character all the way from the top.

You can't be a championship caliber FB team and operate the way MM runs this anymore, it's past time for Mike to leave.

I was wrong on this game, I thought GB would be able to hold ground for 4 qtrs with two weeks rest. Didn't happen. Honestly, after that crappy second half they didn't deserve to win.

I will say it again, every move Gute makes, no matter how great, has zero credibility as long as Mike McCarthy is around. Hell, the Packers are probably 10 or 11 win right now with not even a great, but a respectable NFL head coach. They'll be lucky to sniff 9-7 with McCarthy.

I've always said a Mike McCarthy coached team will never be as good as its talent, give him a 12/13 win team on paper and you're going 10-6. Give McCarthy a 10-6 team on paper and you're going 7-9, which is what we are seeing currently this season. Even the year we won the Super Bowl it was an absolute joke that team had to sneak in as a 6th seed.

Never even mind getting to the Super Bowl, the Packers have only had the playoff bye twice since Rodgers has been the starting QB. How in God's name do have Aaron Rodgers playing at a hall of fame level for damn near a decade and only get the playoff bye 2 **** times???? Actually, the answer is pretty obvious.

If Montgomery was told by coaches if ball goes into endzone take a knee and still brought it out they should tell him today turn in your tablet you have been cut. This is a guy who in 4 years has done nothing. He has been a injury prone player who failed at WR who failed at RB and now even fails as a return man. I know he's one of MM's favorites but Gute needs to tell MM that the team needs to show you can't allow this stuff and cut him make example out of him.

Gute needs to tell MM that the team needs to show you can't allow this stuff and cut him make example out of him.
Gute doesn't tell MM anything, he is GM in title only. MM reports to Murphy who will be looking at the financials over coffee with Russ Ball this morning and it will be all smiles. This is a reality in Green Bay all the rest is psychobabble, it's a business about the bottom line etc.

You can't be a championship caliber FB team and operate the way MM runs this anymore, it's past time for Mike to leave.

Yes, I agree with you on that issue. In the past, I did not, but this year? It's become plain.

My post was not about the whole damn thing. It was simply about Monty. The quotes Phil Silver posted? I don't know what sideline that came from. ??? It may well have been Clay. I have no idea. :)

He's the third guy like that has left and flourished outside of this staff

Yep. I agree with you, except for Randall. I don't care how he's doing as he is a little bitch *to me*.

I'm still pissed off about Hayward and Hyde, however.

No matter the circumstance you don't throw teammates under the bus publicly. This shows a lack of leadership and character all the way from the top.

I agree, again. :)

However, I'm not so sure that walking to the bus and bitching to Phil Silver was meant to throw teammates under the bus.

To me, watching MM's and Rodger's interviews.....it seemed like they were trying *not* to do that.

I have to admit, had I been either MM or Aaron, I would have been unable to resist throwing Monty under the bus. He sucked and he defied orders. ......and that's why I could never be a 'team player' if one of the team was an idiot. I would *like* to think I could keep my mouth shut, but not so sure.

........and that's why horses and dogs and even cats are so much more advanced at being 'teammates'. sh))

Last edited:
Back