Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading what he did in 2019. So I take it he's just media hype on being a steal talk?
What hype could there be? Running backs are useless in OTAs, there's no contact, no pads, running wheel routes on air. He seems to me a better prospect than Dexter Williams so that's something but if he can't do anything on ST then forget it, like Williams he'll be on the practice squad.

It should always be looking 5- 10 years down the road....that's why Ron Wolf was so successful. He always took a QB each yr and built for today AND tomorrow.
Ron Wolf was awesome. Possibly the best ever.

But, how many 1st rounders did Wolf use for 5-10 down the road. And, Wolf found a way to get it done in the now.

If Wolf were still our guy, I doubt we'd be bitching

Ron Wolf was awesome. Possibly the best ever.

But, how many 1st rounders did Wolf use for 5-10 down the road. And, Wolf found a way to get it done in the now.

If Wolf were still our guy, I doubt we'd be bitching
Considering the average career of an NFL player is 3-5 I doubt any GM envisions a 10 year window. Wolf also lived in a different era of FA. I’ve said it before and say it again. I had no issues with drafting a QB in round 1. It’s a plan for the future. The issue I had was the trade up which impacted subsequent rounds. And remember, a GM named Thompson also drafted a QB in round 1 with a view of the future. His name was Aaron Rodgers

Just a personal opinion, but I believe the Packers could have sat on their own pick and still have gotten Love, without giving away a lot of draft value.

I guess we'll never know. If the guy works out, everyone will say it was a genius move. If not, they'll be roasting Gutekunst over an open fire. (By "they" I mean Packer fans.)

Just a personal opinion, but I believe the Packers could have sat on their own pick and still have gotten Love, without giving away a lot of draft value.

I guess we'll never know. If the guy works out, everyone will say it was a genius move. If not, they'll be roasting Gutekunst over an open fire. (By "they" I mean Packer fans.)
can we cover him in marshallow to make a smore.

• Haha
Reactions: TW
in wolf's first draft for the packers (1991), he did not draft a qb
in 1992, he used a 6th round pick on ty detmer.
in 1993, he used a 5th round pick on mark brunell.
in 1994, he did not draft a qb.
in 1995, he used a 5th round pick on jay barker.
in 1996, he used a 7th round pick on kyle wachholtz.
in 1997, he used a 7th round pick on ronnie mcada.
in 1998, he used a 6th round pick on matt hasselbeck.
in 1999, he used a 4th round pick on aaron brooks.
in 2000, he did not draft a qb.
in 2001, he did not draft a qb.

honestly, i can't be sure that he controlled the 2000 and 2001 drafts, but they looked significantly different than a typical ron wolf draft.

but one thing is clear. ron wolfe never ignored the "now" by using a first, second, or third round pick on a qb for the future. only one was taken in the fourth round, and all the rest were 5th, 6th or 7th round picks.
Curious. What was your thought when Thompson drafted Rodgers in Round 1. Very similar situation

Curious. What was your thought when Thompson drafted Rodgers in Round 1. Very similar situation
well, that was thompson, not wolf. and my thought at the time was colored by the fact that favre had been waffling about retirement (definitely not saying he wanted to play into his 40s and retire a packer). so i thought it was a bold move and i liked the fact that we got the guy who many thought would go #1 and considered the best qb in the draft way down at the bottom of the first round. i do not consider it at all similar to using a first and a fourth to draft a qb that most people thought would be taken in the second round to sit on the bench for a few years.

well, that was thompson, not wolf. and my thought at the time was colored by the fact that favre had been waffling about retirement (definitely not saying he wanted to play into his 40s and retire a packer). so i thought it was a bold move and i liked the fact that we got the guy who many thought would go #1 and considered the best qb in the draft way down at the bottom of the first round. i do not consider it at all similar to using a first and a fourth to draft a qb that most people thought would be taken in the second round to sit on the bench for a few years.
I 100% agree the trade up was worse than the pick itself. Rodgers might want to play into his 40’s but that’s no lock and also as an organization I would not extend him to begin with so it’s similar in the fact both Favre and Rodgers were not long term options for GB. I have been on board the last 2 years, if your QB of the future is available with your pick take him. Personally I think Atlanta will regret not taking a QB @ 4 down the road.

and Rodgers had his legion of distractors also, he was not a consensus lock. Had one break out game that made people look

I 100% agree the trade up was worse than the pick itself. Rodgers might want to play into his 40’s but that’s no lock and also as an organization I would not extend him to begin with so it’s similar in the fact both Favre and Rodgers were not long term options for GB. I have been on board the last 2 years, if your QB of the future is available with your pick take him. Personally I think Atlanta will regret not taking a QB @ 4 down the road.

and Rodgers had his legion of distractors also, he was not a consensus lock. Had one break out game that made people look

on a completely different topic: it's kind of interesting that there were 14 qbs taken in that 2005 draft. the first one at #1 and the second one at #24. only one other first round pick was jason campbell, who was taken at #25. have to wonder if washington would have taken rodgers if the packers did not. anyway, you have to go all the way to the 6th round to find the next future pro bowl qb - derek anderson. then in the 7th round you had matt cassell and ryan fitzpatrick. three really good qbs in the 6th and 7th rounds. and a lotta nuthin in between. the highlight was the bears taking kyle orton in the 4th.

in the first 15 picks of the first round of that draft, there were only four teams that did not select a future pro-bowler: da bears, the buccaneers, the vikings, and the lions. hurray for the central division. (yes, i do know the central division ceased to exist prior to this draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back