Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
One fish big in WI never got into was smelt.
I love smelt! When it's available down here at a store, we buy about 20# and freeze packages of it. We do about 2# at a pop in a cast iron skillet, on our grill.

I love smelt! When it's available down here at a store, we buy about 20# and freeze packages of it. We do about 2# at a pop in a cast iron skillet, on our grill.
Smoked?

I don't think I tired it maybe beyond once I just can't eat a whole tiny fish.

We get chubs to smoke. Friends who own a place in Northeast Texas. He goes up there four or five times a year, and brings me back a nice mess of them to smoke. He brings the fish, I do the smoking, and we split them 50/50. Our smelt we fry in the cast iron fry pan. Simple scissors the heads off, slit them, gut them, rinse them well in salt water, then what we eat gets pan fried, that which we'll freeze goes into small coffee cans in water for a later date. We haven't got any this year. They just weren't available.

We eat fish 3-4 nights a week. Salmon, Covina are reasonably priced. Try and get fresh Halibut when it’s available. And the shrimp at Costco are outstanding
Never tried the shrimp from Costco. I could eat blackened salmon daily.

One fish big in WI never got into was smelt.
Love smelt. Haven't had it years but loved smelting and then eating the heck out of them. A little seasoned flour batter and fry them babies up in some oil.

Reactions: TW
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back