The Sunset Years Of Aaron Rodgers

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
A subject no one wants to talk about and one that can't be avoided is the fact Rodgers is going into his sunset years. While it's possible he plays until he is 40, it's not a given and even so QB physical skills tend to erode in the 30's after taking hit after hit each season.

So really at what point do you seriously draft or acquire your next starter ? In a perfect world you really want the next guy in to sit and learn for 3 yrs behind Aaron.

Thoughts ?

Agree you'd like to time it right, but that's the million dollar question - literally. You can keep drafting guys like the Patriots have been and then getting back little in return . . . or you can just wait and know you will take your lumps for a couple of years. It's a tough call. Hell AR could play for another 10 years, or he could hang 'em up in 5.

My suspicion with AR is that his shoulder chip is just big enough that he wants some records and he may well keep playing until he gets them. I think it might make the most sense to just let it play out like it does for other positions. Watch AR play and make the call when you feel his skills are deteriorating (or you have a Manning type injury situation). Until then, I'm not inclined to use anything higher than a late 4th Rd pick on a QB.

Next year would be ideal. But the bigger question is who. Past Kaaya and Watson it's just an awful lot class. Kelly from ole miss is one to watch and Mayfield from Oklahoma is also one. Hard to project the 2018 class. Unless Thompson or who ever is the gm for the 2017 draft wants to trade up its a real crap shoot

Here is the bigger question. Rodgers will be 36 when his next contract comes up. To complicate matters there is a a very good chance of a work stoppage in 2020. Do you extend him? How long? Does he want to finish in green Bay? If you extend him after 2018 makes the most sense. But then consider Nelson Cobb lacy and matthews probably won't be around then either you have to seriously consider a rebuild after 2018

didn't wolf draft a qb almost every year with the hope that eventually he would come across the next franchise qb? and if he happened to find him too soon he would develop the guy and trade him. i think the closest he ever came to finding that next franchise qb was matt hasselbeck, who led seattle to six playoff appearances and a super bowl and was selected to three pro bowls and was an all pro in 2005. obviously, he found hasselbeck way too soon because favre was as durable as they come.

i know that you and a few others here think i am crazy, but i think brett hundley could be one of those "too early" finds. i get that he was playing against the other teams' bottom of the roster, but hundley's preseason performance in 2015 was way better than aaron rodgers in his first preseason when he was also playing against scrubs.

anyway, i think you just continually rotate new qbs through the system hoping to find that next "keeper".

A subject no one wants to talk about and one that can't be avoided is the fact Rodgers is going into his sunset years. While it's possible he plays until he is 40, it's not a given and even so QB physical skills tend to erode in the 30's after taking hit after hit each season.

So really at what point do you seriously draft or acquire your next starter ? In a perfect world you really want the next guy in to sit and learn for 3 yrs behind Aaron.

Thoughts ?
Hundley's got a year in already.

The difference 10 years was college football was developing pro style qbs. Not so much today. It's about read option and spread types. I looked at the 2017 classyo and Walters had Mitch Leidner the # 8 qb prospect. He made Stave look like Joe Montana yes the pool is that bad

Hundley's got a year in already.
Is Hundley better than I thought yes. But he was a disaster coming out of UCLA. Still think his ceiling is a serviceable backup

The difference 10 years was college football was developing pro style qbs. Not so much today. It's about read option and spread types. I looked at the 2017 classyo and Walters had Mitch Leidner the # 8 qb prospect. He made Stave look like Joe Montana yes the pool is that bad
Bingo ... the College QB coming out of the spread has no idea how to play under center and take 5/7 step drops and they have limited route tree progressions. Can you make that work ? Yes ! But you have to adapt things early and let them grow into it.

The days of the packaged pro ready QB are for the most part over.

Last edited:
Back