Trading Aaron Rodgers

Lots of interesting discussion points in this thread.

- agree with rp . . . there were probably as many or more questions about ARod 15 years ago as there are about Love. While it would be crazy to think Love will be as good as maybe one of the 3 most talented QBs I've ever seen, neither of them was a sure thing at draft time. ARod was talked about at #1, but plenty of teams clearly didn't think he was worth that spot in the draft. The majority of Rd1 QBs bust or are underwhelming. Highly likely Love will bust, but the starting point is that he has the raw physical tools to be as good as anyone. The rest of what it takes? We'll see.

- the last draft seemed to be about ML getting what he felt he needed to run his offense or a modified version of it. As I recall his running game seemed to evolve a little as the season wore on last year. Outside runs were still there, but less of them as the season wore on and they were having more success on the inside. Dillon seems to affirm that maybe there will be more of that tendency. Deguara gives him that versatile H-back/FB type guy. No change to the offense, just some expansion of the offense and a little different emphasis.

- I don't think the 3 lineman drafted signifies any sort of change on offense but rather a recognized need to fix the CAP situation at the OL positions. They need to get rid of Linsley and Taylor after 2020, and Turner after 2021, if not earlier. Those 3 guys will be needed to be cheap options at those spots. It'll free up a bunch of money so they can keep BahkT if needed. I would not be surprised if they draft another 2-3 OL in 2021 - especially an early OT.

- I think Love and the team's success will determine what they do with AR. (Unless of course AR makes some sort of independent decision.) 2020 is a given. 2021 seems iffier, maybe 60/40 he stays. Depends on what AR and the team look like. If he or the team regress significantly from last year, they might look to move on, but only if Love looks capable. If Love sucks, or the team looks poised to win it all, it forces their hand and AR will stay on. You can probably say the same for 2022, but more like 30/70 he stays. Sure, money is a big deal, but Murphy and Co. won't shoot themselves in the foot to save a buck.

- lastly, the whole 5th year option is just a little overblown. Sure, you'd prefer to know by the end of year 3 what you've got but even Money Man Murphy won't press the issue if a likely title chance would be sacrificed. Given that AR is gone by year 5 even a miscalculation on the option year for Love won't put them in any sort of CAP bind. If he's the real deal it'll be worth it, if not they pay him for 1 year and he's gone. My bet would be he plays in 2022 but if he doesn't, then pass on the option year knowing that if he doesn't start until 2023, a 1 year guy will likely have a very workable contract/CAP number even if he looks pretty good.

No one - no one! - thought ARod had his ceiling back when he was drafted. He looked like dogsh!t and a complete bust for two pre-seasons in 2005 and 2006. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.
I loved the Rodgers pick when we made it I was a huge Rodgers homer. I wrote off his rookie year as Favre hate him and Sherman did not like the pick either so they pretty much shat on him and him breaking his foot did not help either. So then you have a kid that had flaws who no one worked with his rookie year to fix and took a new HC with new system coming in to teach him.

Reactions: TW
I loved the Rodgers pick when we made it I was a huge Rodgers homer. I wrote off his rookie year as Favre hate him and Sherman did not like the pick either so they pretty much shat on him and him breaking his foot did not help either. So then you have a kid that had flaws who no one worked with his rookie year to fix and took a new HC with new system coming in to teach him.
Let’s be honesty with ourselves here. There are some big differences between Love and Rodgers coming out, the most striking is the system they played in. Rodgers came from the Tedford school, heavy pro style where Love was coached by Gary Anderson, yes Badger fans that Gary Anderson and played in a spread option system ...so from the get go Loves learning curve is steeper. You could see some things in Rogers that made you feel good at the next level. Can’t say the same about Love but time will tell

No one - no one! - thought ARod had his ceiling back when he was drafted. He looked like dogsh!t and a complete bust for two pre-seasons in 2005 and 2006. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

he looked like a deer in the headlights those first two years. you could literally see the fear in his eyes.

Let’s be honesty with ourselves here. There are some big differences between Love and Rodgers coming out, the most striking is the system they played in. Rodgers came from the Tedford school, heavy pro style where Love was coached by Gary Anderson, yes Badger fans that Gary Anderson and played in a spread option system ...so from the get go Loves learning curve is steeper. You could see some things in Rogers that made you feel good at the next level. Can’t say the same about Love but time will tell

The Tedford school produced bust after bust after bust. I saw not a thing in 2005 and 2006 to feel good about Rodgers. He was the worst camp QB I've seen before or since, timid and afraid to throw the ball down the field. He seemed to break any time he saw game action, finishing 2006 on IR after breaking his foot in mop up duty against New England. There were legit storylines about whether he'd be healthy enough to last in the NFL.

I don't say any of this to pump up Jordan Love. I really have nothing to say about him, beside what I said earlier, which is that I think he is a 3rd round player and I hated the pick. I'm just saying there is a lot of revisionist history about Aaron Rodgers the young NFL prospect - that his greatness was inevitable. If he went to any other situation in 2005 he may have flamed out of the league, so in that abstract way, maybe there is more hope for Jordan Love in GB than there would be in any other situation.

The Tedford school produced bust after bust after bust.

ain't that the truth? here's an article written before the draft that brought rodgers to the packers:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2039797

Which begs the question of whether Tedford's latest prize pupil, California quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the likely choice of the San Francisco 49ers with the top overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, will be more productive than the five that preceded him into the league. That quintet Trent Dilfer (Tampa Bay, 1994), Akili Smith (Cincinnati, 1999), David Carr (Houston, 2002), Joey Harrington (Detroit, 2002) and Kyle Boller (Baltimore, 2003) has pretty much flopped both aggregately and individually.

Their collective record as starters is just 98-127, only a 43.6 winning percentage. The group has combined for a completion percentage of 54.6, thrown more interceptions (230) than touchdown passes (202), and posted an anemic passer (in)efficiency rating of 68.6. Dilfer has earned the only Pro Bowl appearance so far among them and owns the lone title, having shepherded the Ravens to a Super Bowl XXXV victory.

Apparently, Dilfer's lone season with the Ravens defined the right place and right time. He was caretaker of a no-frills offense that basically just had to stay out of the way of one of the NFL's most dominating defensive units of all time. Some people feel that Trent Reznor, the front man for Nine Inch Nails, could have presided just as adroitly over the rudimentary offense.

Rodgers will find no such supporting cast with the 49ers, whose 2-14 record in 2004 was well-earned. First-year coach Mike Nolan has already suggested that, if San Francisco takes a quarterback with the top choice, the youngster probably will start as a rookie. And that means venturing into an offense that statistically ranked 26th in the league in 2004 and scored the third fewest points, and whose top wide receiver had 47 catches and is now gone via free agency.

The Tedford school produced bust after bust after bust. I saw not a thing in 2005 and 2006 to feel good about Rodgers. He was the worst camp QB I've seen before or since, timid and afraid to throw the ball down the field. He seemed to break any time he saw game action, finishing 2006 on IR after breaking his foot in mop up duty against New England. There were legit storylines about whether he'd be healthy enough to last in the NFL.

I don't say any of this to pump up Jordan Love. I really have nothing to say about him, beside what I said earlier, which is that I think he is a 3rd round player and I hated the pick. I'm just saying there is a lot of revisionist history about Aaron Rodgers the young NFL prospect - that his greatness was inevitable. If he went to any other situation in 2005 he may have flamed out of the league, so in that abstract way, maybe there is more hope for Jordan Love in GB than there would be in any other situation.
I just think there is something to be said about the system that you develop in. Not disagreeing about Tedford at all there were some games at CAL that he looked the part. Love not so much.

I get that. Love has more to learn and less time to learn it due to coronavirus and CBA rules on rookie and player offseason work. He also doesn't have that signature college win; he has some signature throws, and some signature stretches of play in losses but not really whole performances. Rodgers had those games against USC and Standford to look at for hope.

Love was coached by Gary Anderson, yes Badger fans that Gary Anderson and played in a spread option system

to be fair, he was coached by andersen for one year. and that just happened to be a particularly bad year in his college career. coaching change and new system, lost all of his best receivers and several talented o-linemen from the previous year. those are some pretty big changes which at least partially explain his fall from being one of the top qbs in college ball the year before. i mean, you are right that andersen ruined him. but the bigger question is whether he can be salvaged.

Arods issue was his attitude. That seems to be why he fell. As for deer in headlights never saw it. The games he did get into he looked like someone hungry to take over. Especially that one game in Dallas.

You can't say nobody saw the potential when the guy was talked about as a potential first overall pick. The argument was him or Smith. Love wasn't even the top 3 QB of this draft.

Back