With Pick #12 GB Selects Rashan Gary DE/OLB Michigan

So listening to radio today looks like it was Gary who choose to wear 52 when he was given choice of numbers to pick from.

I am rather confused on the whole matter truthfully. First things first you really never know how a pick will pan out for 3-4 years. What's strange here is it's another guy who was a 4-3/3-4 base end trying to be used as a OLB and or hybrid rusher.

For what 3-5 years we all thought it was TT or Capers with this stuff. It gives me pause on Gute because he was in the background with some of those sh)) picks before and it seems to have carried over. I would tend to agree with several of the outside reviews he's a boom or bust type of pick. Time will tell.
I will be pissed if they say Gary is only a standup 3-4 OLB. He's a guy who has skill set to go in at MLB and play a DE with hand in dirt.

My initial view on Gary before the draft was that he was a prospect for 4-3 teams to figure out, and he was on my do not draft list. But here we are. It's madness to actually use this guy as a classic 3-4 OLB. You can say all you want that you'll just rush him but when you line up your defense a certain way, with a player in that position, you don't always get to choose what you do with him. I mean, it's the job of guys like Matt Nagy to figure out how to get guys like Tarik Cohen and David Montgomery isolated against guys like Gary in space, and they are good at their jobs. Put your players in position to do what they do best!

We shall see.

all i can say is that i hope they know what they are doing. that is what they get paid for. i agree with mark that some of the odd choices that we used to blame on tt may have actually been heavily influenced by gute.

all i can say is that i hope they know what they are doing. that is what they get paid for. i agree with mark that some of the odd choices that we used to blame on tt may have actually been heavily influenced by gute.

That's a stretch. The last time GB tried to convert a 1st round college DE to OLB was Nick Perry, and the much adored John Dorsey was in the building. Yes they drafted Datone Jones the next year but he started out at DE and stayed there for a few seasons before being moved to OLB. This may be a case where an organizational group-think that overvalues the importance of metrics and body-type is amplified by lack of outside blood. Which is to say, if Gute left the org tomorrow, there's a good chance that the next man up would make the same evaluation because that's how he learned to scout.

I'm not going to tie myself in knots just yet over the drafting of Gary.

For all I know, Mike Pettine may have been sitting in there and was able to put in his tc( about whether or not to draft Gary as well.

I'm not going to tie myself in knots just yet over the drafting of Gary.

For all I know, Mike Pettine may have been sitting in there and was able to put in his tc( about whether or not to draft Gary as well.
I would certainly hope the Mike Pettine had some input on how the team valued Gary. And that's what it comes down to - while we may not understand the pick (and others before this) - none of us on here know as much about these players, and how they may fit into the team, as the NFL coaches/scouts do.

My initial view on Gary before the draft was that he was a prospect for 4-3 teams to figure out, and he was on my do not draft list. But here we are. It's madness to actually use this guy as a classic 3-4 OLB. You can say all you want that you'll just rush him but when you line up your defense a certain way, with a player in that position, you don't always get to choose what you do with him. I mean, it's the job of guys like Matt Nagy to figure out how to get guys like Tarik Cohen and David Montgomery isolated against guys like Gary in space, and they are good at their jobs. Put your players in position to do what they do best!

We shall see.

:oops:Shocked( dear lord don't even make me ponder that possibility!

This is a conscious choice and unless they are totally incompetent as a group, this is being done with the blessing of Mike Pettine.

Preston Smith combine - 6'5"-271#
ZaDarius Smith combine - 6'4" - 274#
Rashan Gary combine - 6'4" - 277#

These are all square pegs who are not truly OLBs. Gary is the best athlete among them, but they are in most ways clones of each other. IMO, there is no way this is happening unless Pettine is telling the front office not to get those more typical OLB type bodies. This is what he wants and will tailor his defense to make best use of them.

I'm concerned, but I don't think this is about Gute being foolish.

Back