With Pick #28 in the First round GB Selects DL Devonte Wyatt

The first 2022 first-round pick now has agreed to terms: former Georgia standout Devonte Wyatt and the Packers reached agreement on a four-year, fully guaranteed $12.86 million deal that includes a $6.53 million signing bonus, per source.

I wonder if they were able to put anything into the contract that he has any more issues with the law his contract voids and losses all his guaranteed money.
Morals clause probably covers that. Teams have a lot of leeway.

More broadly meaning that the Wyatt experience may be more like the Jolly experience than they're bargaining for.
GB seems to always put up with DL if they can play we have had a handfull that has had off field issues but kept around. Makes you wonder if they think that being in GB away from the issues will change them. Just hope that Wyatt is leaving his girl back in Georgia.

GB seems to always put up with DL if they can play we have had a handfull that has had off field issues but kept around. Makes you wonder if they think that being in GB away from the issues will change them. Just hope that Wyatt is leaving his girl back in Georgia.
One of the things that would keep me up at night as a GM is the feeling of responsibility of bringing a hot head into my area and if god forbid something actually happens. GB isn't actually that small, but by NFL standards it's small and word kinda gets around. If someone catches a stray from this guy, in anger or just goofing around, as Gute, wouldn't you feel responsible?

One of the things that would keep me up at night as a GM is the feeling of responsibility of bringing a hot head into my area and if god forbid something actually happens. GB isn't actually that small, but by NFL standards it's small and word kinda gets around. If someone catches a stray from this guy, in anger or just goofing around, as Gute, wouldn't you feel responsible?
sure, i would. but not so sure about gute. i think of him as more of a reactor - not a proactor (not a real word).

Most if not all teams see it as talent > how much do you tolerate. In the case of a rookie it’s part of the evaluation process

If Wyatt ends up being a problem, that's a business mistake. Suspensions and brushes with the law waste money and draft capital and Gute is responsible for that if it happens.

As for bringing him into the community I don't really put much blame on the Packers for that because I also don't put blame on Mercury Marine or Schneider Trucking for employing individuals who break the law in my community. People with shady backgrounds are employed all over Wisconsin (and everywhere else of course). I don't hold any of those employers responsible for that person being in the vicinity of my community where someone could be affected.

If Wyatt ends up being a problem, that's a business mistake. Suspensions and brushes with the law waste money and draft capital and Gute is responsible for that if it happens.

As for bringing him into the community I don't really put much blame on the Packers for that because I also don't put blame on Mercury Marine or Schneider Trucking for employing individuals who break the law in my community. People with shady backgrounds are employed all over Wisconsin (and everywhere else of course). I don't hold any of those employers responsible for that person being in the vicinity of my community where someone could be affected.
This is exactly what I told my buddies when we were watching the draft and drafted Wyatt. It is heck of a gamble on a 1st round pick that has had legal issues. This will either be a solid pick that could help this D a ton or it could be a huge bust that hurts the team down the road.

I guess that is the draft in general though. You either hit on a pick or you don't.

Back