With Their first pick GB selects Jordan Love QB Utah State

I don’t think anyone here would proclaim Love would be ready, let alone play, in year one. His physical talent is offset by his deficiencies in other aspects of his game.
The blessing for him, and the Packers, is he doesn’t have to start right away. He will get teaching and will learn from a HOF quarterback for at least 1 year and maybe two.
Hopefully that time allows those parts of his game where he needs to improve, to catch up to his physical talent.

in realty not one QB drafted should play in year one, economics dictate that they do, not talent. I am not a fan of Love but a guy named Rodgers sat also and it payed dividends. I would love to see all QB's sit 2 years to be honest

I agree.

Lombardi very rarely let a first or second year player take the field. He believed that you learn, and gain strength, then you get to play. He wanted to know every player on the field knew what everyone else's assignment was, so they knew how they were to react under various conditions that presented themselves.

Today's game is fast, and complex, so sitting and learning creates good habits, not bad.
Back then though there was no FA you owned players until you did no longer want them so you could sit on them and let them develop as long as you wanted to

Give Aaron Rodgers credit he at least seems to be willing to help Love grow and not be a dick like Favre was to Rodgers his rookie year.

EhpX0gIWsAAQUqa

Reactions: TW
It's one of the NFL's dead periods right now so thought I'd revive an old thread. The Love pick looms large these days, so I've been watching what's out there on him. Not All-22 stuff but there are some full games from both 2018 and 2019 available.

The number one thing that stands out to me is how much I hated that offense. They reminded me of the late MM years, running 4 wide receivers but no one could get open, with the occasional WR/TE sideline screen that fooled no one. So hard to watch. In consequence, Love was throwing a lot of back shoulder stuff or trying to float passes over the top of DBs or LBs plastering the receivers. There were also a fair number of drops.

Another thing that stood out - all of Love's evaluations talk about arm strength but I don't know, that wasn't really noticeable. Maybe he has the cannon arm from all the write ups but I thought he did a lot more touch passing than driving the ball. A lot of his picks were from under throws on 50/50 "YOLO" balls, like Jameis Winston. To be fair, there were also a number of botched catches by his WR where the ball popped up and was picked.

His technique was all over the place. He often seemed to hop on his throws, or skip. Sometimes he had a compact delivery, sometimes it looked like a big windmill motion. He seemed to do a fair amount of staring-down receivers. There was no way in hell anyone could trot him out in the NFL Year 1 and expect anything other than disaster, and having him inactive behind Boyle was prudent.

He had the occasional special "Rodgers" play, scrambling outside the pocket, throwing a sideline bullet to his left or right. His deep throws, when they connected, reminded me of Russ Wilson, dropping a lofted ball right in the bucket. And they had to be dropped in the bucket because those guys were never all that open. I can see why the team liked that stuff.

Overall I think he was a damn difficult evaluation to make. With the scheme, the lack of talent, and the messiness of his game, I just don't see how you look at him and say "Trade up in the first." Doesn't make any sense to me. On the other hand, I can see why they looked at him and thought that, in ML's offense, with the play action, the run game, the multi-TE stuff he wants to run, the ability to scheme guys open (which has been borne out this year statistically), it would be easier for him to operate out ML's offense than what he was running in college. And vitally, on top of that, he did show the occasional ability to make a play out of nothing, which you sometimes need to do in the NFL and, if you can do it with any consistency, is worth its weight in gold. But again I come back to, even if they think he can run the offense and add that element, how do you trade up in the first for him. I guess it's the supply and demand value of QBs.

It's one of the NFL's dead periods right now so thought I'd revive an old thread. The Love pick looms large these days, so I've been watching what's out there on him. Not All-22 stuff but there are some full games from both 2018 and 2019 available.

The number one thing that stands out to me is how much I hated that offense. They reminded me of the late MM years, running 4 wide receivers but no one could get open, with the occasional WR/TE sideline screen that fooled no one. So hard to watch. In consequence, Love was throwing a lot of back shoulder stuff or trying to float passes over the top of DBs or LBs plastering the receivers. There were also a fair number of drops.

Another thing that stood out - all of Love's evaluations talk about arm strength but I don't know, that wasn't really noticeable. Maybe he has the cannon arm from all the write ups but I thought he did a lot more touch passing than driving the ball. A lot of his picks were from under throws on 50/50 "YOLO" balls, like Jameis Winston. To be fair, there were also a number of botched catches by his WR where the ball popped up and was picked.

His technique was all over the place. He often seemed to hop on his throws, or skip. Sometimes he had a compact delivery, sometimes it looked like a big windmill motion. He seemed to do a fair amount of staring-down receivers. There was no way in hell anyone could trot him out in the NFL Year 1 and expect anything other than disaster, and having him inactive behind Boyle was prudent.

He had the occasional special "Rodgers" play, scrambling outside the pocket, throwing a sideline bullet to his left or right. His deep throws, when they connected, reminded me of Russ Wilson, dropping a lofted ball right in the bucket. And they had to be dropped in the bucket because those guys were never all that open. I can see why the team liked that stuff.

Overall I think he was a damn difficult evaluation to make. With the scheme, the lack of talent, and the messiness of his game, I just don't see how you look at him and say "Trade up in the first." Doesn't make any sense to me. On the other hand, I can see why they looked at him and thought that, in ML's offense, with the play action, the run game, the multi-TE stuff he wants to run, the ability to scheme guys open (which has been borne out this year statistically), it would be easier for him to operate out ML's offense than what he was running in college. And vitally, on top of that, he did show the occasional ability to make a play out of nothing, which you sometimes need to do in the NFL and, if you can do it with any consistency, is worth its weight in gold. But again I come back to, even if they think he can run the offense and add that element, how do you trade up in the first for him. I guess it's the supply and demand value of QBs.
This is a fair assessment. Here is the part that I keep coming back to:
I can see why they looked at him and thought that, in ML's offense, with the play action, the run game, the multi-TE stuff he wants to run, the ability to scheme guys open (which has been borne out this year statistically), it would be easier for him to operate out ML's offense than what he was running in college.

Maybe its just me but thats the type of guy you can find in most drafts and not give up any equity to get him, not a game manager type but one who understands the offense with better mechanics

all i can say is that i hope that someone has been spending a lot of time with him and coaching him up. he was never activated last season, but hopefully he was not ignored during practices and someone was focusing on his development.

This is a fair assessment. Here is the part that I keep coming back to:
I can see why they looked at him and thought that, in ML's offense, with the play action, the run game, the multi-TE stuff he wants to run, the ability to scheme guys open (which has been borne out this year statistically), it would be easier for him to operate out ML's offense than what he was running in college.

Maybe its just me but thats the type of guy you can find in most drafts and not give up any equity to get him, not a game manager type but one who understands the offense with better mechanics
It's the occasional "wow" play that made the difference. I don't care what anyone says, you can't really project a Rodgers or Mahomes trajectory. Not really. But I do believe that Packer brass thought they could clean him up but retain the break-the-pocket, throw on the run stuff and bail us out when the play breaks down that Tim Boyle, for example, is just never going to do. Which is essentially the same thing as when they elevated Rodgers over Craig Nall.

The team eval of him is really part of a broader pattern. We saw it with Gary and Savage as well. They see traits and then say, I don't care if he never did it in all his snaps, we can make him do X, Y and Z. I comprehend it but I don't think it's the best way to do things. Drafting players is about obtaining a player that basically doesn't exist (yet), but that sort of thing can only go so far before it devolves into magical thinking.

In some ways it brings up the question, do you need to draft a QB in the top 5 to win in the NFL. Mahomes is the obvious case study on that and you also have Wilson. Looks at tops 10's that turned out not being to great. Winston, Mariota, Darnold, Trubisly, Bradford, Bortles, Locker.

Its not an exact science obviously but so many factors play in

In some ways it brings up the question, do you need to draft a QB in the top 5 to win in the NFL. Mahomes is the obvious case study on that and you also have Wilson. Looks at tops 10's that turned out not being to great. Winston, Mariota, Darnold, Trubisly, Bradford, Bortles, Locker.

Its not an exact science obviously but so many factors play in
many of those guys were said to be overdrafted even at the time they were drafted. especially trubiscuit

Back