Big 10 Expansion Rumor #438

TW

Reaction score
"Jack McGuire of Barstool Sports shared on Sunday that he's hearing the Big Ten will add Clemson, Florida State, Oregon and Washington."

Truth or rumor? I think we'll know soon. The reality is, the SEC and Big 10 are going to gobble up "ALL" the top quality teams that deal with media rights. It's all about owning the turf.

If this is true puts Big Ten at 20 teams and I think means ND has zero interest in joining Big Ten. But if true Big Ten adds some very premium teams and has a strong foothold now in the south.

Last edited:
"Jack McGuire of Barstool Sports shared on Sunday that he's hearing the Big Ten will add Clemson, Florida State, Oregon and Washington."

Truth or rumor? I think we'll know soon. The reality is, the SEC and Big 10 are going to gobble up "ALL" the top quality teams that deal with media rights. It's all about owning the turf.
False the ACC can't break up. The contract is ironclad for the next few years. Scratch the ACC

False the ACC can't break up. The contract is ironclad for the next few years. Scratch the ACC
This is correct, Grant of Rights makes it almost impossible. 2036 is the the expiration of that deal for the ACC. It might get waived early but the Big Ten most likely is looking at Washington or Stanford though Arizona's name is in the wind now.

Would not want Cal or Stanford to me low end Pac 12 teams not worth adding Don't add teams just to add teams

Would not want Cal or Stanford to me low end Pac 12 teams not worth adding Don't add teams just to add teams

Agree they are not high end programs, but that's not always what is being looked at. Stanford and Cal have the potential to add a very large TV market - the "Bay Area". That's a lot of eyeballs and extra revenue for the Big-10 Network.

The other temptation with Stanford is that it's a tempting target for the university presidents as it is the academic equivalent of an Ivy League school in the Power-5. That kind of stuff still matters to those people.

I think the Big 10 is concerned about setting up shop in areas to insure that the SEC can't get their claws into the area. So far, they've been playing a defensive game against it, but may decide to move out ahead of them, until waiting to have to make choices.

Who does get in, and when it happens, won't be based on any preconceived ideas as to what we personally believe, but will be based on long term value when it comes to potential viewership.

I still believe they're going to enter the Texas market as well. It's such a huge market.

I think the Big 10 is concerned about setting up shop in areas to insure that the SEC can't get their claws into the area. So far, they've been playing a defensive game against it, but may decide to move out ahead of them, until waiting to have to make choices.

Who does get in, and when it happens, won't be based on any preconceived ideas as to what we personally believe, but will be based on long term value when it comes to potential viewership.

I still believe they're going to enter the Texas market as well. It's such a huge market.
Would you consider Memphis if you want to get into SEC area? Not a big name school in football but bigger in basketball.

I think football pretty much drives the whole thing, because of the media money, and much larger fan bases. Of course I could be wrong on that one. You just never know where this whole thing is heading.

Back