2022 Badger Football Thread

What’s BS? The class rank? The Gridiron Club? Sorry not BS.

They had a recruiting department but a couple of positions were not filled post Covid. I just stated above the budget needs a boost, not rocket science to figure that out but it’s not the silver bullet either

Yeah the kid from Chicago was in the piece the Temple wrote in the Athletic
If the kid was mentioned in an article, why did you ignore these things were happening? You said they were spending more, and apparently getting it right? Obviously that's not the reality. Now, how about a link showing us where the spending information comes from. Also, what part of reconciling them not having a recruiting program in place for over six months, and still spend so much. That's totally contradictory to their "spending more." Where is it being spent. Obviously the statement has to be supported by those who said it, don't you think?

If I recall correctly, the Gridiron Club has been inactive for three years? I need a source here. Thanks!

If the kid was mentioned in an article, why did you ignore these things were happening? You said they were spending more, and apparently getting it right? Obviously that's not the reality. Now, how about a link showing us where the spending information comes from. Also, what part of reconciling them not having a recruiting program in place for over six months, and still spend so much. That's totally contradictory to their "spending more." Where is it being spent. Obviously the statement has to be supported by those who said it, don't you think?
Never said they were spending more. I said “I don’t dismiss that the budget needs a lift , but so do facilities, assistants salary pool”. I said the recruiting class was ranked 16th in 2021 by 247 and actually 14th by Rivals. I did not mention spending

If I recall correctly, the Gridiron Club has been inactive for three years? I need a source here. Thanks!
It’s a paywall link but the headline is sufficient

9CD120A7-AA3C-4344-948B-A8F9C9D27CDC.jpeg

Then, if they are no longer in existence, how could they be ranked 13th in donations to football? Doesn't make sense.
I said the football recruiting class. It was actually 2021 excuse the typo. All I referred to was the club being shut down

And as recently as 2022 the class was ranked 16th nationally.

and candidly McIntosh was part of the push to end the Mendota Gridiron Club.

whomever gets the job needs to bring in coaches who can sell the program. PC was dull as dishwater and I doubt he had firey guys under him. When you have limited resources at UW you need to find the guys as the old saying goes who can sell ice to a ekhimo.
And pay with what? The university has a history of underpaying assistants. Problem was UW lost some outstanding assistants in the last 5+ years including Gary Brown and Hammock come to mind

I said the football recruiting class. It was actually 2021 excuse the typo. All I referred to was the club being shut down

And as recently as 2022 the class was ranked 16th nationally.

and candidly McIntosh was part of the push to end the Mendota Gridiron Club.
If so, and I believe he was instrumental in shutting it down, how can we believe they are 13th in spending? Between shutdown of MGC, and the loss of Khalil, who was doing the best with what he had, and the appointment of Turner, who seems to have been clueless about recruiting outside of a six hour drive from Madison, or finding portal players, how was the money spent?

I go back to one weekend of recruiting for the University of Texas. The equivalent of over 60% of the total recruiting package the Badgers have.

To be honest, if I was a HC candidate, I don't know if Wisconsin would be my choice, unless I had control of the recruiting program, and saw at least enough money to classify us in the top 5 in the Big 10. You're not going to be a consistent winner, and that nice facility is never going to happen.

If so, and I believe he was instrumental in shutting it down, how can we believe they are 13th in spending? Between shutdown of MGC, and the loss of Khalil, who was doing the best with what he had, and the appointment of Turner, who seems to have been clueless about recruiting outside of a six hour drive from Madison, or finding portal players, how was the money spent?

I go back to one weekend of recruiting for the University of Texas. The equivalent of over 60% of the total recruiting package the Badgers have.

To be honest, if I was a HC candidate, I don't know if Wisconsin would be my choice, unless I had control of the recruiting program, and saw at least enough money to classify us in the top 5 in the Big 10. You're not going to be a consistent winner, and that nice facility is never going to happen.
I was having this same conversation with folks that advise collectives. Their point was recruiting budgets and for that matter athletic department budgets all have line items that can be “manipulated”. In their words similar to a marketing budget. So take that 13th in spend with some grain of salt. Did some schools divert some funds from recruiting to other pools of money. Example they gave, did UW Foundation “fund” some recruiting activities not listed on the athletic department lines? Who knows. Who actually funds the recruiting staff? The department, other funds? How does that show

That said I’ll take an educated guess UW is probably 10th in department spend in the conference. Now how good of a job is UW? Subjective. It’s probably better than Nebraska but below OSU , Michigan , PSU and MSU.

Back