2023 Badger Football Thread

Couple of new commits for Bucky.

Hank Weber, a 6'4"-250# defensive lineman from Tennessee has committed to the Badgers. He's a 3-star kid who also had offers from North Carolina and Vanderbilt.

Vernon Woodward, a 6'2"- 180# cornerback/defensive back from Florida has also committed to the Badgers. A 3-star kid who's other best offers were from Ole Miss, Mizzou, Purdue, Virginia, West Virginia, Illinois, and a number of others.

Both are solid gets. Don't particularly move the needle all that much, but these are exactly the kind of solid kids programs like the Badgers need. Weber is a good sized DE for the 3-3-5 they want to play. Woodward fits the length criteria Fickell seems to prefer. He's a physical kid who hopefully is able to stick at cornerback, though might find himself at safety down the road.

If the Badgers keep upping their talent level like they are, they could break into the elite group in the Big 10, in two or three years. They're really recruiting like demons!

from the athletic:

Wisconsin football secured a pair of commitments from Pennsylvania on Tuesday, first from four-star offensive lineman Kevin Heywood and then from three-star offensive lineman Ryan Cory. Here’s what you need to know.

• Heywood is ranked as the No. 25 offensive tackle in the 247Sports Composite, while Cory is ranked as the No. 50 interior offensive lineman.
  • Both Heywood and Cory were highly sought-after prospects. Heywood earned 27 scholarship offers and had official visits lined up for Kentucky, Auburn and USC before he committed to the Badgers. Cory, who earned 23 scholarship offers, had planned official visits for Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt. Both made official visits to Wisconsin last weekend.
  • The announcements give Wisconsin’s 2024 recruiting class 12 publicly committed prospects, including four this week. The others were cornerback Vernon Woodward on Sunday and defensive end Hank Weber on Monday. Wisconsin’s class has pushed into the top 15 nationally at this stage.

from the athletic:

Wisconsin football secured a pair of commitments from Pennsylvania on Tuesday, first from four-star offensive lineman Kevin Heywood and then from three-star offensive lineman Ryan Cory. Here’s what you need to know.

• Heywood is ranked as the No. 25 offensive tackle in the 247Sports Composite, while Cory is ranked as the No. 50 interior offensive lineman.
  • Both Heywood and Cory were highly sought-after prospects. Heywood earned 27 scholarship offers and had official visits lined up for Kentucky, Auburn and USC before he committed to the Badgers. Cory, who earned 23 scholarship offers, had planned official visits for Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt. Both made official visits to Wisconsin last weekend.
  • The announcements give Wisconsin’s 2024 recruiting class 12 publicly committed prospects, including four this week. The others were cornerback Vernon Woodward on Sunday and defensive end Hank Weber on Monday. Wisconsin’s class has pushed into the top 15 nationally at this stage.
Yep 247 has them 15th and 4th in Big Ten

Rivals has them 14th and 4th in Big Ten.

Ahead of them in Big Ten is Mich, OSU, PSU

Something that I'm seeing is that the recruiting technique used by the new staff is intense. They don't just talk to a kid about joining the Badgers, they stay in touch with them, and are constantly listening to them, and bolstering their beliefs in why the Badger program would be best for their personal growth. It tells these kids that they really do care about them, beyond the scope of the football field.

With the limited recruiting that was done under Chryst, this obviously wasn't nearly to this level. It was something that could have made this program a bigger success quite some time ago. Where the log jam was, in spending the money to make it happen, I can only guess, but I'm not going to heap it all on the shoulders of Alvarez. I believe there were a lot of restraints from above him, in the chain of control.

There's going to be a few hiccups along the way, but I think Fickell is capable of turning the Badgers into a real national powerhouse, if given the facilities, and support needed, to get them up there with OSU and Michigan. They could end up being one of the elite 8, which will include Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, USC, OSU, Michigan, and either PSU or Wisconsin. These would be the 8 that would end up sending at least one representative, and possibly two, contenders to each NCAA tournament, with the 12 team format. Another contender, especially if they joined the Big 10, would be Notre Dame. On the outside, on the cusp of being included, Florida, Clemson, and Auburn.

Something that I'm seeing is that the recruiting technique used by the new staff is intense. They don't just talk to a kid about joining the Badgers, they stay in touch with them, and are constantly listening to them, and bolstering their beliefs in why the Badger program would be best for their personal growth. It tells these kids that they really do care about them, beyond the scope of the football field.

With the limited recruiting that was done under Chryst, this obviously wasn't nearly to this level. It was something that could have made this program a bigger success quite some time ago. Where the log jam was, in spending the money to make it happen, I can only guess, but I'm not going to heap it all on the shoulders of Alvarez. I believe there were a lot of restraints from above him, in the chain of control.

There's going to be a few hiccups along the way, but I think Fickell is capable of turning the Badgers into a real national powerhouse, if given the facilities, and support needed, to get them up there with OSU and Michigan. They could end up being one of the elite 8, which will include Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, USC, OSU, Michigan, and either PSU or Wisconsin. These would be the 8 that would end up sending at least one representative, and possibly two, contenders to each NCAA tournament, with the 12 team format. Another contender, especially if they joined the Big 10, would be Notre Dame. On the outside, on the cusp of being included, Florida, Clemson, and Auburn.
PC selling point on UW hey we have two kind of cheese curds! Regular and deep fried!

Back