2023 Draft Thread

Skoronski's Grandfather was a great guy to talk to. Always friendly.

Sounds like a Packer pick a guy who's iffy to be able to play tackle but could still play the spot if needed but likely better fits as a guard.

Skoronski seems like one of those safe picks. If he can't cut it at left tackle he'll play somewhere on your line at a pro-bowl level for a decade or more. The thing is, do you spend that draft capital on a potential OG.

Skoronski seems like one of those safe picks. If he can't cut it at left tackle he'll play somewhere on your line at a pro-bowl level for a decade or more. The thing is, do you spend that draft capital on a potential OG.
Unless he projects to be the next Nelson the OG from the Colts no you don't waste a 1st round pick on a player who will be a guard.

So GB looking more and more like to end up with a mid round pick. Looking at mocks there could be a WR projected in middle of 1st do you take another WR with Watson and Doubs? Have not seen many OL being rated 1st round quality this year and could be gone by time GB picks or not worth taking at the pick. So does GB go their normal MO and pick another DL or try to find a edge rusher? Edge could be a need. Gary won't return until mid-season and Smith is hit or miss it seems so GB could benefit from another pass rusher.

So GB looking more and more like to end up with a mid round pick. Looking at mocks there could be a WR projected in middle of 1st do you take another WR with Watson and Doubs? Have not seen many OL being rated 1st round quality this year and could be gone by time GB picks or not worth taking at the pick. So does GB go their normal MO and pick another DL or try to find a edge rusher? Edge could be a need. Gary won't return until mid-season and Smith is hit or miss it seems so GB could benefit from another pass rusher.
It’s not a great WR Draft honestly and there are a couple of Edge guys and even OL that are interested mid round 1. So yes maybe a WR later but not round 1.

OT is a need, DL and S are needs on D regardless of any scheme changes.

Assuming the Packers win another game or two it looks like they'll be picking almost exactly in the middle of each round. It's not seemingly the deepest draft in terms of high-end talent, but there are always good players available. Not so sure I trust Gute & Co. to find them, but that's a separate discussion.

I haven't really looked hard at the draft yet, but it seems to me the Packers need to be open-minded with their first round pick in terms of position. To me, the top needs, in no particular order, are S, OT, Edge with WR, TE, and DL close behind. If you are looking to fill the top needs, you may be disappointed.

Not really sure there is a safety worth say pick #14/15/16. It's not a great group at OT this year depending on what you think of Skoronski from Northwestern or Jones from Georgia. Some sites have them staying at OT while others show them as OGs due to lack of ideal length for OT in the NFL. If you think they're OGs, then the options for OT in the middle of Rd 1 are Paris Johnson who I think is gone by then, and Jaelyn Duncan of Maryland who has some issues and is probably not worth a pick that high.

There is a WR or two worthy of #15 but at least one or two will be gone and the best value looks like it might be available in Rds 2-3. There are 2 DL guys who are elite and won't drop to the middle of Rd1 and after that It seems things drop off to Rd2 type talents. The Edge position is maybe the only top need with a guy that fits in the middle of Rd1 with Isaiah Foskey from Notre Dame. He has the size and athletic traits the Packers look for at that position and nice production. He looks like my best fit for right now. Edge is a premium position so it's only 50:50 that he's there.

If Foskey isn't there, I might look/think outside the box at a couple of positions. Mayer, the TE from Notre Dame is a top-10 talent, but TEs tend not to be the sexiest position in Rd 1 so maybe he falls a few spots. If he does, I'm all-in on him even though I don't think TE is usually a position to take that high. The other position with a nice grouping of guys in that middle of Rd1 spot is CB. There are like 3-4 of them with nice size/speed traits. I know we really don't "need" one, but it's a premium position and it seems you can never have enough of them. A possibility if they go with a CB that early is to move Douglas to safety, which they already experimented with this year. Maybe you can partly fix the safety position by drafting a CB in Rd1.

Just some thoughts for discussion, very early in the process.

So some possible mid 1st round picks that would not be a WR.

Edge: Tyree Wilson and Jared Verse
OL: O'Cyrus Torrence and Broderick Jones
Safety: Antonio Johnson
CB: Cam Smith
TE: Mike Mayer

So some possible mid 1st round picks that would not be a WR.

Edge: Tyree Wilson and Jared Verse
OL: O'Cyrus Torrence and Broderick Jones
Safety: Antonio Johnson
CB: Cam Smith
TE: Mike Mayer

A nice group of guys, but I'm not so sure about a couple of them quite that high.

Torrence is a huge OG who doesn't have great movement skills. Seems like a nice Power Run Scheme guy, just not sure he fits the Zone Scheme ML seems to like. He sure can move people in the run game though.

I really like Antonio Johnson and his ability to play near the LOS, so for right now he would seem to fit that "star" role that keeps being mentioned in Joe Barry's scheme. I just hesitated on him at #15 because he's a safety who has 1 interception in 3 years. Maybe it's how he was used, but that lack of college playmaking doesn't make me want to use a pick that high on him.

Really don't have any issues with the rest. They all seem like nice gets at #15.

Back