2023 Draft Thread

Now that the season is over…..

Offense: TE, WR are high priority. OL and another QB are secondary priority..

Defense: S, DB, and Edge are high priority. DL is secondary priority…

Now that the season is over…..

Offense: TE, WR are high priority. OL and another QB are secondary priority..

Defense: S, DB, and Edge are high priority. DL is secondary priority…
To me QB is low you might crab of draft like 5th round or later. I don't think WR is that high I can see GB maybe look at a WR 3rd round or later. TE I just don't know if you will find any quality early in draft outside of that ND TE. DL I would put as high priority. Lowry and Reed are likely not coming back. Clark did not have much impact this year. Wyatt only saw the field for like 20% of the sanps. Safety and Edge rusher yes are high priority but with Alexander signed to big deal and Stokes coming back I can't see them spend another high pick at CB.

Going into draft I think it's likely at least one if not all 4 of these guys could be there at 15.

Michael Mayer-TE
Broderick Jones-OT
Nolan Smith-Edge
Jaxon Smith-Njigba-WR

I would not complain about adding any of them as any of them would be a need that would improve the postion group.

On offense I see 3 spots to focus on:

- O-line needs another talented player. The mediocre offense this year starts in the trenches. I’m not sure if Bahk is part of the future even for ‘23 and is almost certainly gone in ‘24 (unless there is a major contract adjustment). While Nijman and Tom have been okay in stretches, I don’t know that I’d want to depend on those two as my primary tackles. I’d like to add an early draft pick at OT to the mix. Nijman was not good in either of the last 2 games - maybe an injury thing. Tom looks like he might make a nice back-up/swing tackle (or center?). Myers isn’t exactly playing pro-bowl quality center. They might want to look at moving him to OG and drafting one, or moving Tom or Jenkins to OC if his play doesn't improves.

- WR was the main need last off-season, and not that much has changed. Sure, it looks like you have something in Watson, but with Doubs there’s no guarantee he becomes a #1/2 type WR. Plus, Lazard is gone and Cobb likely isn’t back, so there is plenty of room for a veteran and/or a high(ish) draft pick.

- TE remains the “meh” position it’s been for a number of years. The time has come for a better option. Tonyan finished “okay”, but he doesn’t look like a difference maker at the position. Deguara is just a body. Time to use a pick or two on a TE. It seems like decent ones are available in almost every round, every year.

Tonyan gets $500k in dead cap money in 2023, no matter what. He's a UFA. The Packers are going to find it difficult keeping him if someone comes along with a lot of money. I think it's less than 50% he ends up in GB this coming year. They're going to have to dig to fill that room. Nobody is guaranteed as coming back, who matters.

Zach Tom stays. He's in for just under $1 mill. Njiman is a UFA. It's all about what he's offered. I think it's even money he stays. It depends on whether other teams think he's better than what we think he is.

Myers stays. At roughly $1.5 mill for each of the next two years, it's a good ROI. They may well draft for the future though.

Bakh & Jenkins are definitely in for next year. Bakh for two more, and Jenkins through 4 more. Too much to lose by dumping them or trading them. Also, they're too good to not keep. They're going to have to pay for the talent, and live with the injury risks.

The rest of the offensive line crew will be pretty constant, unless they dip into some young guys to groom for a year or two down the road. Maybe even one who can step in, during the season, and give them some help.

Watson, Doubs, Toure. That's all the WRs they have that are guaranteed to return. I see them dipping into the draft again, and one, maybe two potentials, from FA. I don't see them over paying for the veterans they have in-house, including Cobb. If he's will to accept a modest contract, he could be back. If not, he's gone.

Kicker is a question mark. I think Crosby won't be back. I don't think he wants to be back to be honest. Maybe a late round pick, or free agent will come in. It's going to be a contest.

We have our punter. He's good. He's signed. He's going nowhere. O'Donnell is far better than all the spaghetti legged punters we've had in over a decade.

I'll stop there. That's enough. It should give enough information to help determine what I'd pick in the draft. At this point, I'd lean towards TE and WR.

Tonyan gets $500k in dead cap money in 2023, no matter what. He's a UFA. The Packers are going to find it difficult keeping him if someone comes along with a lot of money. I think it's less than 50% he ends up in GB this coming year. They're going to have to dig to fill that room. Nobody is guaranteed as coming back, who matters.

Zach Tom stays. He's in for just under $1 mill. Njiman is a UFA. It's all about what he's offered. I think it's even money he stays. It depends on whether other teams think he's better than what we think he is.

Myers stays. At roughly $1.5 mill for each of the next two years, it's a good ROI. They may well draft for the future though.

Bakh & Jenkins are definitely in for next year. Bakh for two more, and Jenkins through 4 more. Too much to lose by dumping them or trading them. Also, they're too good to not keep. They're going to have to pay for the talent, and live with the injury risks.

The rest of the offensive line crew will be pretty constant, unless they dip into some young guys to groom for a year or two down the road. Maybe even one who can step in, during the season, and give them some help.

Watson, Doubs, Toure. That's all the WRs they have that are guaranteed to return. I see them dipping into the draft again, and one, maybe two potentials, from FA. I don't see them over paying for the veterans they have in-house, including Cobb. If he's will to accept a modest contract, he could be back. If not, he's gone.

Kicker is a question mark. I think Crosby won't be back. I don't think he wants to be back to be honest. Maybe a late round pick, or free agent will come in. It's going to be a contest.

We have our punter. He's good. He's signed. He's going nowhere. O'Donnell is far better than all the spaghetti legged punters we've had in over a decade.

I'll stop there. That's enough. It should give enough information to help determine what I'd pick in the draft. At this point, I'd lean towards TE and WR.
Crosby actually has said he wants to return I guess but I don't know if GB wants him back.

Nijman also is a RFA this year not a UFA so Packers can apply a 1st or 2nd round tender to him.

Tonyan has nevr gotten to 600 yards in a season and besides what now seems like a fluke year with his 11 TDs he's never gotten past 2 TDs in a season. I think Tonyan will have very little interest in FA outside being a backup TE somewhere and won't get a big offer.

Crosby actually has said he wants to return I guess but I don't know if GB wants him back.

Nijman also is a RFA this year not a UFA so Packers can apply a 1st or 2nd round tender to him.

Tonyan has nevr gotten to 600 yards in a season and besides what now seems like a fluke year with his 11 TDs he's never gotten past 2 TDs in a season. I think Tonyan will have very little interest in FA outside being a backup TE somewhere and won't get a big offer.
I known Mason said he wants to be back. But, deep inside? I think he's about ready to come home. The Njiman issue is money. Would you put a 1st or 2nd tender on him? I wouldn't. Neither will the Bucks. They'll try to sign him but he'll be offered more, elsewhere.

Tonyan will be offered money that will make him want to leave. I doubt very much the Bucks would even consider matching it.

I known Mason said he wants to be back. But, deep inside? I think he's about ready to come home. The Njiman issue is money. Would you put a 1st or 2nd tender on him? I wouldn't. Neither will the Bucks. They'll try to sign him but he'll be offered more, elsewhere.

Tonyan will be offered money that will make him want to leave. I doubt very much the Bucks would even consider matching it.
I would agree that the Bucks wont offer either of these guys anything. ;)

Same here. LOL!

I have a feeling you were just watching the same game I was.

br)br)br)

• Haha
Reactions: TW
Back