After The 2022 Packers Draft

Bob's a bit of a curmudgeon these days. He had a bit of a falling out with the organization and it shows. I didn't think his evaluations were all that harsh, but in some cases he focused too much on the negative. From a scouting perspective that seems fair, but I believe it was Ron Wolf who used to say "tell me what a player CAN do, not just what he CAN'T do", so from that perspective some of Bob's evaluations aren't very complete. Still, on balance a lot of what he said was fair and useful, if a bit snarky at times.

The one part of what Bob said that I kinda have a problem with is that he seems to suggest Gute should have traded those two first round picks to have taken one of the top 5-6 receivers, but then doesn't completely defend or advocate which player exactly he would have selected in place of Watson. I didn't particularly see any of those top-6 as true #1 type guys. To me they mostly looked like #2's who had warts themselves and weren't worth trading both firsts for.

London and Burks have trouble getting separation and they are "contested catch" type guys. That probably works better in college. Wilson and Dotson are kinda small. Williams was hurt and not ready to play. Leaving Olave as the best option in my opinion, but while he's fast and a seemingly skilled route runner has his own warts that make him less than ideal in ML's offense, most importantly he can't/won't block. (Something Doubs is also questionable at.)

What I'll be thinking about as time goes by is whether the smarter thing to do might have been to just take Watson at #28. Pass on Wyatt. If you needed DL help, take Travis Jones at #59. At #53 they could potentially have taken Alec Pierce, Trey McBride, or Skyy Moore. I'll be watching how those players do over the next few years in comparison to Watson to see which would have been the better way to go.

Scouts are doing their best and the guys Bob talks to are telling it like they see it. Of course they blow it sometimes too. Just for fun, here's what some of Bob's scouts said about future All-Pro players:

AFC scout: "Fourth round. All his big games were against (expletive) competition like Hawaii. He came on a little at the end, but I don't see him as a top-three round guy."

AFC scout: "I like him but he's a free agent."

AFC scout: "He's long and he's tall and he doesn't get movement. He's flexible. He doesn't know how to use his hands. Not very good."

AFC scout: "No. No!"

AFC scout: "It ain't happening."

Now that I look at it, I wonder if his AFC scout was from the Jets?

Bob's a bit of a curmudgeon these days. He had a bit of a falling out with the organization and it shows. I didn't think his evaluations were all that harsh, but in some cases he focused too much on the negative. From a scouting perspective that seems fair, but I believe it was Ron Wolf who used to say "tell me what a player CAN do, not just what he CAN'T do", so from that perspective some of Bob's evaluations aren't very complete. Still, on balance a lot of what he said was fair and useful, if a bit snarky at times.

The one part of what Bob said that I kinda have a problem with is that he seems to suggest Gute should have traded those two first round picks to have taken one of the top 5-6 receivers, but then doesn't completely defend or advocate which player exactly he would have selected in place of Watson. I didn't particularly see any of those top-6 as true #1 type guys. To me they mostly looked like #2's who had warts themselves and weren't worth trading both firsts for.

London and Burks have trouble getting separation and they are "contested catch" type guys. That probably works better in college. Wilson and Dotson are kinda small. Williams was hurt and not ready to play. Leaving Olave as the best option in my opinion, but while he's fast and a seemingly skilled route runner has his own warts that make him less than ideal in ML's offense, most importantly he can't/won't block. (Something Doubs is also questionable at.)

What I'll be thinking about as time goes by is whether the smarter thing to do might have been to just take Watson at #28. Pass on Wyatt. If you needed DL help, take Travis Jones at #59. At #53 they could potentially have taken Alec Pierce, Trey McBride, or Skyy Moore. I'll be watching how those players do over the next few years in comparison to Watson to see which would have been the better way to go.
This! This is the problem I have. Almost his entire article was negative very little positive on players. I just did not like the article because he was being such a downer on the players and he seemed to gloss over any positives just to focus on the negatives. Also he seemed to bash Gutes 1st and 2nd round picks. I think Gute is well above average when you look at his picks in the 1st and 2nd round who are starting on this team and are above average starters I would say.

Scouts are doing their best and the guys Bob talks to are telling it like they see it. Of course they blow it sometimes too. Just for fun, here's what some of Bob's scouts said about future All-Pro players:

AFC scout: "Fourth round. All his big games were against (expletive) competition like Hawaii. He came on a little at the end, but I don't see him as a top-three round guy."

AFC scout: "I like him but he's a free agent."

AFC scout: "He's long and he's tall and he doesn't get movement. He's flexible. He doesn't know how to use his hands. Not very good."

AFC scout: "No. No!"

AFC scout: "It ain't happening."

Now that I look at it, I wonder if his AFC scout was from the Jets?
Hell I remember some of the scouts takes on Rodgers. Not flattering. It’s like any sport, it can be subjective.

Reactions: #66
This! This is the problem I have. Almost his entire article was negative very little positive on players. I just did not like the article because he was being such a downer on the players and he seemed to gloss over any positives just to focus on the negatives. Also he seemed to bash Gutes 1st and 2nd round picks. I think Gute is well above average when you look at his picks in the 1st and 2nd round who are starting on this team and are above average starters I would say.
And much of the negative was valid. This is not some participation sport and rah rah some guy up.

Some day I would love a GM to say “we did not get the guy we wanted”. Instead of “I was surprised he was still on the board”.

And here’s the thing. We get all wrapped up in what some mocks and a scouting reports say and maybe just maybe they watched a highlight reel on You Tube. But we take that as fact

And much of the negative was valid. This is not some participation sport and rah rah some guy up.

Some day I would love a GM to say “we did not get the guy we wanted”. Instead of “I was surprised he was still on the board”.
But it's still not right to act like these players have all this bad and not talk about any of the good. I think there needs to be a balance.

Hell I remember some of the scouts takes on Rodgers. Not flattering. It’s like any sport, it can be subjective.
Rodgers was a mess coming out he had issues of his release and how long he held the ball. I really give MM credit for being able to fix him. I think Rodgers goes to another team starts right away those issues are not fixed and he flops.

Rodgers was a mess coming out he had issues of his release and how long he held the ball. I really give MM credit for being able to fix him. I think Rodgers goes to another team starts right away those issues are not fixed and he flops.
He has one “it” game vs USC that people had a wet dream over

But it's still not right to act like these players have all this bad and not talk about any of the good. I think there needs to be a balance.
So what. It’s not some love fest. He mentioned some positives. The off field stuff was really interesting

Back