Giannis staying in Milwaukee?

Bleacher Report suggested trade

Milwaukee Bucks Receive: SG CJ McCollum
Portland Trail Blazers Receive: SG Donte DiVincenzo, G George Hill, PF D.J. Wilson, PF Ersan Ilyasova, 2020 No. 24 overall pick (via Indiana Pacers), 2024 first-round pick (lottery protected)
Bleacher Report is punch drunk

Giannis said in interview it all depends what moves Bucks make if he stays or not.

#1 80/20 he stays. Follow the money #2 it might not be Super Max initially cap issue due to league revenue are not player friendly right now. #3. That sets him up as a 10 year vet with more potential $$$ Down the road.

I do think Giannis has told the team they have to make a move to improve the team and not just trading for a bench/role player will keep him here.

I do think Giannis has told the team they have to make a move to improve the team and not just trading for a bench/role player will keep him here.
That’s obviously true that he had that discussion. I don’t think ownership and the FO are blind to the fact that this team is not perfect

Here’s the challenge Milwaukee has. The team is built perfect for the regular season. Uptempo, athletic and thrives on the perimeter game. Playoffs are different. The game slows down and you need to execute in the half court. Every team has its kryptonite, Miami was a nightmare matchup with their defense and length. And then there was the bubble which made home court irrelevant. PG needs a rehab, need to upgrade Matthew’s, and in a perfect world on more perimeter 2-3 type who can play defense

Will be interesting if Bucks have any kind of deal worked out by Wednesday to draft a player that will be traded to another team

Here’s the challenge Milwaukee has. The team is built perfect for the regular season. Uptempo, athletic and thrives on the perimeter game. Playoffs are different. The game slows down and you need to execute in the half court. Every team has its kryptonite, Miami was a nightmare matchup with their defense and length. And then there was the bubble which made home court irrelevant. PG needs a rehab, need to upgrade Matthew’s, and in a perfect world on more perimeter 2-3 type who can play defense

I think you hit the nail on the head. Years ago I saw teams that were built to win 50+ games every year, then fold their tent in the playoffs. Granted, they could sometimes make it to the conference finals, but rarely, if ever, got past that round. Teams like Boston, LA, NY, and Philly would stockpile people on their roster who could step up and play a different game than what was played during the regular season. The Boston Celtics championships were hinged on that aggressive style in the half court when it came to the playoffs. Those teams that build their roster around that element now are the real winners. It's not necessarily the team capable of winning 65+ games during the season.

The Bucks get physically beaten up on the boards, Giannis game is interrupted through hard fouls, and our outside shooting falls off the edge, because there's not nearly enough ball movement.

I can honestly see where Giannis might opt to leave, if these issues aren't addressed, by adding support cast that can muscle up with him, to play bully ball. You can't win in the playoffs without that as part of your portfolio. Agree on upgrade over Matthews.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Years ago I saw teams that were built to win 50+ games every year, then fold their tent in the playoffs. Granted, they could sometimes make it to the conference finals, but rarely, if ever, got past that round. Teams like Boston, LA, NY, and Philly would stockpile people on their roster who could step up and play a different game than what was played during the regular season. The Boston Celtics championships were hinged on that aggressive style in the half court when it came to the playoffs. Those teams that build their roster around that element now are the real winners. It's not necessarily the team capable of winning 65+ games during the season.

The Bucks get physically beaten up on the boards, Giannis game is interrupted through hard fouls, and our outside shooting falls off the edge, because there's not nearly enough ball movement.

I can honestly see where Giannis might opt to leave, if these issues aren't addressed, by adding support cast that can muscle up with him, to play bully ball. You can't win in the playoffs without that as part of your portfolio. Agree on upgrade over Matthews.
And there lies the challenge or dilemma. Giannis is most effective when he’s free in space and in the paint. You add a big it clogs up the middle which is ok if Giannis has a reliable 15 foot game. Now find a pick and pop big like Lopez fine but finding that in a physical player is hard to find.

Back