Looking for playmakers

You think that high for a guy who might only have couple years left in him?

Yes, with all of the cap space that will be available. Remember thats AAV, forget years that irrelevant

Drafting a WR early (rounds 1 or 2) is no guarantee of success either. Plenty of them who end up busts as well.

IMO, finding a WR that best fits your scheme/system is what you look for (first). Projecting what round you should draft him in should come second.

For every AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, etc.
There's a Breshad Perriman, Laquon Treadwell

There's Adam Theilen, Tyreek Hill, Antonio Brown type players that just need to be developed.
The Vikings have another young promising development prospect in Chad Beebe.

Maybe Darius Shepherd is one of those types?

Drafting a WR early (rounds 1 or 2) is no guarantee of success either. Plenty of them who end up busts as well.

IMO, finding a WR that best fits your scheme/system is what you look for (first). Projecting what round you should draft him in should come second.

For every AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, etc.
There's a Breshad Perriman, Laquon Treadwell

There's Adam Theilen, Tyreek Hill, Antonio Brown type players that just need to be developed.
The Vikings have another young promising development prospect in Chad Beebe.

Maybe Darius Shepherd is one of those types?
I get your point and to some extent valid but look at 2018, top 20 guys Theilen is the only one who stands out as under the radar was far was WR maybe Golladay is another

I get your point and to some extent valid but look at 2018, top 20 guys Theilen is the only one who stands out as under the radar was far was WR maybe Golladay is another

We both make good points.
Plenty of 1st/2nd round picks that were in the 2018 top 20, but there was also some 3rd round picks and then you have guys like AB, who was a 6th rounder, and Tyreek Hill, who was a 5th rounder, to go along with Theilen.

There might actually be more 2nd rounders than 1st rounders.

TT, for what he lacked in judging DB talent, sure did know how to pick good WR's in the 2nd round.
Jordy, Jennings, Adams, Cobb

Finding excellent WR in the later rounds of the draft or undrafted is not a plan, it's luck. Bottom line, we went from stocking the cupboard every other year or so to taking the position for granted, and it shows. I was going through old GamePass videos earlier today and watched opening night 2009 against the Bears. Rodgers missed some throws and there were receivers yanking off their helmets in disgust on other parts of the field because they were open too. WR, open everywhere! Jennings and Jones and Finley and Driver, Jordy was stuck returning kicks.

You can't replicate the level of success we had with that run of WR picks but you gotta keep trying. It was the number 1 thing Wolf regretted about his later years with Favre, TT fell into the trap eventually and now Gute needs to reverse the trend. I think as fans we've gotten so used to the low caliber of receiving talent on the roster, it would shock us if we actually had a good group again. There's a reason we keep 6-7 WR the last couple years, it's not because they're good, it's because they're all mediocre and indistinguishable from one another.

We both make good points.
Plenty of 1st/2nd round picks that were in the 2018 top 20, but there was also some 3rd round picks and then you have guys like AB, who was a 6th rounder, and Tyreek Hill, who was a 5th rounder, to go along with Theilen.
Hill is an outlier, he was basically a RB at Oak State but that offense was really a spread system

Finding excellent WR in the later rounds of the draft or undrafted is not a plan, it's luck. Bottom line, we went from stocking the cupboard every other year or so to taking the position for granted, and it shows. I was going through old GamePass videos earlier today and watched opening night 2009 against the Bears. Rodgers missed some throws and there were receivers yanking off their helmets in disgust on other parts of the field because they were open too. WR, open everywhere! Jennings and Jones and Finley and Driver, Jordy was stuck returning kicks.

You can't replicate the level of success we had with that run of WR picks but you gotta keep trying. It was the number 1 thing Wolf regretted about his later years with Favre, TT fell into the trap eventually and now Gute needs to reverse the trend. I think as fans we've gotten so used to the low caliber of receiving talent on the roster, it would shock us if we actually had a good group again. There's a reason we keep 6-7 WR the last couple years, it's not because they're good, it's because they're all mediocre and indistinguishable from one another.

Gute may have felt he needed to fix the defense first. Mission pretty much accomplished. He ad lib'd with adding 3 WR's late.

Now he can turn his attention to the offense. Let's see what this next draft brings before we lump him in with TT.

TT, for some reason, stopped drafting 2nd/3rd round WR's after Adams.
Not sure what to attribute that to except maybe "his condition". sh))

Hill is an outlier, he was basically a RB at Oak State but that offense was really a spread system

That goes back to my #1 priority. Identifying a player that (first) best fits your system.

Then, what round to take him.

And I agree there, but lets be honest most 5th round of lower do not make it

Unless they're 5th round or later for throwing their pregnant girlfriend down the stairs, or masturbating on athletic trainers - those guys make it but maybe we still shouldn't draft them. sh))

Back