Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

To me what's most frustrating over the long-term with this team is how much they've invested on defense in the draft and how it still seems like we haven't got that much in return.

On defense I still have a similar number of player concerns as on offense. While I think it’s coaching where a total staff overhaul is needed, the real, biggest need is some leadership on that side of the ball. You’ve got a bunch of talkers and immature personalities on that side of the ball and they need a coach that can rein that in to some degree, or an on-field guy to take charge. They have nobody right now who does that - IMO.

- Edge needs another body, probably a young guy from the draft. Gary is solid and needs to be re-signed. P.Smith probably needs to be gone after 2023, if not sooner. Getting a replacement ready should be a priority. Enagbare is a really nice rotational guy but I don’t know if he’s starter material.

- Safety needs lots of help. Amos is probably done and Savage is just not good. Sure, Savage looked better the last 2 games, but you just can’t seem to count on him. Time to draft one and to add a veteran FA. Doesn't need to be at pick 15, but somewhere in the first 4 rounds you need a safety.

- Beyond that I don’t see any dire needs for defense but I’m still looking for a guy for DL as I believe both Lowrey and Reed could be gone this off-season. Another depth piece is needed at CB.

Now, if a coaching change brings a major scheme change there might be another need or two (or three).
It makes me think that maybe they are doing this all wrong. Maybe the right way to do things is that, in the NFL of 2023, they should juice up the offense as much as possible because rules already favor the O. Obviously the D can't be a catastrophe but they keep throwing high end resources at the D for middling return and they shouldn't keep doing that.

It makes me think that maybe they are doing this all wrong. Maybe the right way to do things is that, in the NFL of 2023, they should juice up the offense as much as possible because rules already favor the O. Obviously the D can't be a catastrophe but they keep throwing high end resources at the D for middling return and they shouldn't keep doing that.
Winner)

Your going on the premise that they will be more competent drafting offense than defense, I just don't see this scouting and personal department being that great at evaluating talent.

Your going on the premise that they will be more competent drafting offense than defense, I just don't see this scouting and personal department being that great at evaluating talent.
Yes that's true - Amari Rodgers over Amon Ra St Brown, Sternberger over Terry McLurin. But as to overall approach I think they've been spending too much firepower on plugging every hole on D while gaping ones were forming on O.

One of the problems on judging defensive talent could fall into the assertion that the coaches know how to judge offensive talent, and are lacking in that skill on defense. If you don't trust the DC, and you're the HC and GM, you might tend to believe you understand which players are a better fit, and not really know what you're actually doing.

One of the problems on judging defensive talent could fall into the assertion that the coaches know how to judge offensive talent, and are lacking in that skill on defense. If you don't trust the DC, and you're the HC and GM, you might tend to believe you understand which players are a better fit, and not really know what you're actually doing.
Good point, but just check in on some of these guys around the league. What are Josh Jackson and Oren Burks up to? Darnell Savage may be next up. It’s not like the cast offs are fitting in better somewhere else, they just can’t really play.

I still think if Rodgers is moved it's something like a 2nd in 2024 and a conditional 2025 pick that says if 2023 if they don't make the playoffs it's a 3rd rounder if they make the playoffs it's a 2nd and if they get to the SB it's a 1st.

Back