Packers will host 2025 NFL Draft

Murphy expects nearly 250,000 people to visit on draft weekend. Murphy said there have been discussions with Amtrak about adding rail service from Milwaukee, and, provided the ice on Lake Michigan has melted, cruise ships may bring fans to Green Bay.
Cruise ships? rofl(

There have been talks by Amtrak about adding rail service. But that’s more than 2 years out for sure.

Cruise ships? rofl(

There have been talks by Amtrak about adding rail service. But that’s more than 2 years out for sure.
Actually cruise ships are on the Great Lakes. Viking cruises, and American Queen to offer two. They could end up with a couple of cruise packages with a destination like Green Bay. They might just anchor there, and charge the same rates as a full fledged cruise through the lakes. Ya just never know.

EDIT: Did I mention, if the weather is cold, the dog sled tours coming down from Escanaba ya know?

Actually cruise ships are on the Great Lakes. Viking cruises, and American Queen to offer two. They could end up with a couple of cruise packages with a destination like Green Bay. They might just anchor there, and charge the same rates as a full fledged cruise through the lakes. Ya just never know.

EDIT: Did I mention, if the weather is cold, the dog sled tours coming down from Escanaba ya know?
Those ships are tiny and aren’t going to add any meaningful number of fans. Might be fine for the couple hundred or so people on them.

Murphy talking about trains and cruise ships highlights his weakness when talking to reporters or being put on the spot. He's not very clear and just blurts out stuff.

I wouldn't doubt that perhaps the various cruise lines that run regular itineraries on the Great Lakes have been in contact with the Packers about setting up some unique itineraries to take advantage of this one-time opportunity, but those few ships don't begin to make a dent in the accommodations deficit. Murphy shouldn't be talking about it like it's an answer.

Similarly with train service. Could Amtrak work with the Packers to run train service for a few days - I don't know. Not talking about regular service, just minimal infrastructure investment with Milwaukee to Green Bay non-stop service for those coming from Milwaukee and Chicago for a few days. Something like that may have been discussed and may even be possible, but the capacity is such that it wouldn't make much of a dent in the inevitable traffic issues, so why even bring it up like it's part of the solution.

Inevitably what you will end up with is something like the annual EAA Convention in Oshkosh. 700,000 people show up over the course of a week, leading to traffic problems and parking issues. The people who attend don't complain because that is how it is and that's what they're willing to put up with for a unique event.

People who are used to being pampered will grumble, but the regular "fans" will put up with it happily because it's a passion for many and a rare opportunity. In the end it all won't matter because the draft will still happen no matter all the issues and it'll still be on TV whether there is snow or sun, crowds or no crowds.

Murphy talking about trains and cruise ships highlights his weakness when talking to reporters or being put on the spot. He's not very clear and just blurts out stuff.

I wouldn't doubt that perhaps the various cruise lines that run regular itineraries on the Great Lakes have been in contact with the Packers about setting up some unique itineraries to take advantage of this one-time opportunity, but those few ships don't begin to make a dent in the accommodations deficit. Murphy shouldn't be talking about it like it's an answer.

Similarly with train service. Could Amtrak work with the Packers to run train service for a few days - I don't know. Not talking about regular service, just minimal infrastructure investment with Milwaukee to Green Bay non-stop service for those coming from Milwaukee and Chicago for a few days. Something like that may have been discussed and may even be possible, but the capacity is such that it wouldn't make much of a dent in the inevitable traffic issues, so why even bring it up like it's part of the solution.

Inevitably what you will end up with is something like the annual EAA Convention in Oshkosh. 700,000 people show up over the course of a week, leading to traffic problems and parking issues. The people who attend don't complain because that is how it is and that's what they're willing to put up with for a unique event.

People who are used to being pampered will grumble, but the regular "fans" will put up with it happily because it's a passion for many and a rare opportunity. In the end it all won't matter because the draft will still happen no matter all the issues and it'll still be on TV whether there is snow or sun, crowds or no crowds.
You're absolutely right about the EAA Convention in Oshkosh. I've been there, and experienced it. You gotta love it to go through the total inconveniences of the whole thing. People will sleep in cars to enjoy two or three days there, and shower at truck stops, or not at all. An advantage, with EAA is that it's warmer outside, and people will throw a sleeping bag on the ground, and sleep on it, as long as it's not raining. Not quite so warm when the draft takes place.

Packers found out on May 9th they would get NFL draft but had to wait until owners meeting for owners to officially vote on it.

Are there enough hotel rooms?​

Primarily, the issue is providing enough hotel rooms for NFL, network and contractor personnel. "If we would not have had that space reserved, yeah, it wouldn't have been good," Toll said. "We have all of the space the NFL needs all reserved already. We are in good shape there."

Organizers did not block out entire hotels, so some rooms remain in each for fans.

I am guessing bulk of hotel rooms are gone and once the dates are officially set most people will have to book outside of GB. I can see all way to Fondy if not even south of it being booked solid

Yes. There will be homes rented out for the draft. It will be about the same as down here in Austin, for SXSW.

It happens every year down here in the Austin area. Upscale homes will rent out for $15k or more for the week. It won't be in that range for the draft, but expect as much as $4k to $5k for a 4 day period.

Back