Pass Interference Rule review

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to :

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.
And in neither non call is there any question if it was incidental. It is quite plain and obvious in both there was direct contact that changed the outcome of the plays. The hand up in Scantlings face is enough in itself, especially since the db wasnt playing the ball and had body on body contact to. That last play, the db literally had his arms around Scantling, preventing him from lifting his arms to have a chance to catch it.
There is no face guarding rule in the NFL. My guess is rewatching just now is that even on the first one if he catches it he wouldn't be in bounds. That's just a guess. So they let it go.

The second he mugged the guy from the replay. No clue. sh))

One thing Packer fans should take note of that we do almost every play on offense,

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to :

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

This has nothing to do with face guarding. the db had his hand physically on Scantlings chin along with the body to body contact, which kept him from having a chance to even get to the ball. It is the physical contact.

Let’s put this in some perspective. Like everyone I agree that MVS was interfered with. # 2 the last INT by rule should have been called also. But GB benefited from 2 horrible calls in the Minnesota game that impacted the outcome also. And the challenge on the call on Jeffery was IMO an PI that should have been overturned.

My overall point is get used to it. And more than likely this will all balance out. It will play out again, guaranteed

just mho, but I don't consider jamming a hand up under the receiver's facemask and pushing his head back as far as it will bend to be in any way "incidental"
You're not wrong but that is a hands to the face penalty not DPI by rule. You guys can whine and bitch and pitch a fit all you want but

A. I didn't write these rules they are what they are.
B. It's not going to change the outcome or sway the NFL in anyway... if it makes ya'll feel better great but as always do so within the boundaries we set here please
C. Blame the Saints fans .... it's that franchise that caused it all and the leagues reactive BS committee.

Any contact that alters the receiver's path prior to the arrival of the ball is dpi. doesn't matter if he was pushing his chin or his chest (or both).

This has nothing to do with face guarding. the db had his hand physically on Scantlings chin along with the body to body contact, which kept him from having a chance to even get to the ball. It is the physical contact.
Agreed Score about the hand on his face. Looked like his hand was literally under MVS chin and pushing up

Hand to the face is specific in the rules, and it should have been called. Had there been review, that should have been considered since it was a personal foul. If that isn't covered under the new rules, it should be. That said, next week is another game, and the officiating isn't going to be any better or worse for anyone else who puts on a helmet. You live with the cards you're dealt.

I think what we are seeing is that the NFL wants it both ways. They want to look like they are doing something when a penalty is as egregious as the one that happened in the Saints playoff game. At the same time, they don't want this to turn into a flag festival where every time there is any contact it will be looked at in slow motion.

I think the only time you are going to regularly see it overturned is when it is blatantly obvious in "real time". Bottom line is that pass interference of the type we saw on Thursday has happened for years and years and while the NFL likes scoring they also don't want this to turn into a situation where the defense ends up defenseless. They are going to allow "some" contact when it's relatively simultaneous to the ball arriving and is hard to detect in real time.

Coaches will need to adjust. Save the red flag for the most obvious cases.

Back