Post Game Niners Defeat Packers 37-20 End Season.

Great point and I'm in agreement. They need to stay aggressive. I was a big proponent of "You are your record ", trying to will myself to believe that they were truly a 13-3 team. I know, it sounds weird because their record says they were 13-3 but the more I thought about it, it just didn't feel like a 13-3 team.

On paper, or at least in theory, the 1 and 2 seeds, 13-3 teams, in the NFCCG should be somewhat evenly matched. This was a total domination of one team over the other. This should provide a valuable measuring stick as to where your team truly is, when talking about competing for the NFCCG in the future. SF is built to last for a few years. I hope Gutey and ML can do the same thing.
And the schedule next year is at least on paper daunting. Even if personal improves this team caught its share of breaks, while this team could be better on paper 13-3 will be difficult to replicate

Getting aggressive means being a player in free agency like they were last year.
They maybe have only enough cap space to sign 2 “first week” players. But maybe can nab a couple of 2nd tier ones as well

And the schedule next year is at least on paper daunting. Even if personal improves this team caught its share of breaks, while this team could be better on paper 13-3 will be difficult to replicate

It sounds weird, but they could actually be 10-6, 11-5, or 12-4 but be better than what they were at 13-3

Is it Arod? Is it the WR?

Time to admit it's both

It’s not simple with Rodgers. We have a lack of talent at WR and TE. Jones is a very good back but not game changing. Two good OLBs and a good NT. No good other LBs. Good but overall unremarkable group in the secondary. It’s not a great roster, and it’s not a dynamic group of coaches either. And yet we were 13-3. Luck and bounces don’t account for that.

One of my conclusions is that the QB, while having fallen off in many measurables, is still doing something difference making that allowed them to win at the margins.

It’s not simple with Rodgers. We have a lack of talent at WR and TE. Jones is a very good back but not game changing. Two good OLBs and a good NT. No good other LBs. Good but overall unremarkable group in the secondary. It’s not a great roster, and it’s not a dynamic group of coaches either. And yet we were 13-3. Luck and bounces don’t account for that.

One of my conclusions is that the QB, while having fallen off in many measurables, is still doing something difference making that allowed them to win at the margins.

You failed to mention a new HC that didn't make obvious stupid mistakes like time mismanagement etc. That was good for 3 close wins.

Yes I agree I would expect a 10-6 or 11-5 next year. The ball broke the Packers way a bunch last year. Can't expect that to happen again. Look at Bears 2018 vs 2019. Everything went right for them in the regular season in 2018 and 2019 they were not able to get all those breaks again.

The MilwJS guys really took Pettine to task this morning as well. Basically saying that either players were completely ignoring the coaches . . . or more likely they were being coached to be undisciplined in gap containment. Basically saying that at times it looked like there were no run gap rules at all.

I would be surprised if we are 13-3 again next year but that's OK. Tough schedule, and most likely we'll see a few more injuries to the 2-deep than we did this year.

They really could use 4 veteran free agents - a DT, a WR, a TE, and an ILB. Bottom line though is that they likely don't have the CAP room for all 4 unless they let Crosby and Bulaga walk, which creates other issues. Well I suppose you could do it by adding a couple of low level guys, but that doesn't really move the needle much. I guess my preference would be for a WR since rookie wideouts often need a year or two to get up to speed. I also would opt for the ILB over the other two positions.

Lastly, my preference would be for Pettine to be replaced. I was on the fence until the NFCCG. From what I was seeing and what I've read since, coaching was no small part of the problem. Yes, they need better talent at DT and ILB, but there is no way the talent was so bad that some coaching adjustments couldn't have at least partially slowed down that 49er running attack.

i was giving mp the benefit of the doubt through the entire season as well. but two blowouts against the same team in the same season? that tells me there is a problem at the coaching level. yes we still have some weak positions on the defense, even after all the draft picks we have spent over the past four years, but just like 57p, i believe a good coach should have been able to come up with some sort of plan to keep the second game from being a total blowout.

i don't have any suggestions on a replacement though. i'll leave that discussion to the people who know more about coaching.

Back