Post game: Packers defeat Bears 35-16

I loved watching Rodgers and company dismantle the Bears defense. It made my day, watching Mack neutralized most of the game by a guy who so many said shouldn't even be on the team. It told me just how damned good the coaching is with our offensive line. The subs may make mistakes, but giving them help with chip blocks has done wonders for their play, and the success of the team. Rodgers had as much time as he wanted yesterday, to do whatever he wanted with the ball.

I still worry about our defense. Speed is our worst enemy. Second is our pass rush. We can't expect our back 4 to do their job in man coverage if we can't pressure the guy with the ball.

It was nice to see ML actually giving his guys help on Mack. One of MM's infuriating trends was that he was so stubborn about that, refusing the change the plan based on an OL injury and someone would often get hung out to dry.

Thoughts on the game.

AR and DA are so good right now, that with an adequate supporting cast they might just be enough to get the Packers to the Super Bowl in an NFC filled with teams that have flaws.

The Billy Turner signing is looking better to me now than it did 20ish months ago. While I was okay with adding OL help, I thought they overpaid. Right now it's looking like they're getting what they paid for, a versatile guy who can fill multiple holes in a pinch and not embarrass himself or that unit.

The defense is looking more competent than they did early in the season. Still not a special sort of group but good enough to maybe get you to the big game.

Why does a guy who is coming off a 125yd rushing performance get only one touch? That's on the coaches. Sure this Bear defense was better than the Titans, but there had to be room for AJ Dillon to get more than one carry. It was especially frustrating on the Packers 2nd drive of the 3rd quarter. They had a 3-and-out on their first possession and were sitting at 2nd a 1 on their second and ML/AR decided to be cute with the next 2 plays and it resulted in an early out again. Just run the damn ball with power using Dillon or Williams, or even a less powerful back like Jones and get the 1 yard and another series of downs. Get/keep the momentum, and if nothing else, flip the field a bit.

Tayvon Austin . . . what the heck. You don't get many chances so don't screw them up. Was nice to see the coaches put him in the next series at WR and got him the ball. Kind of a "we trust you" message. Good on the coaches because he's what they got right now for 3 more games . . . hopefully.

Thoughts on Dillon or lack of snaps for Dillon. Chicago puts a lot of stress on the OL with blitz packages and if he’s not ready to pick it up he becomes a liability especially with Bak out

Very good point. Last week you are up big against a team with a poor pass rush, not nearly the same level of mental responsibility for Dillon. Bears DL is a completely different animal.

Very good point. Last week you are up big against a team with a poor pass rush, not nearly the same level of mental responsibility for Dillon. Bears DL is a completely different animal.
That goes back to those chip blocks. It takes a little savvy to understand how to make that block, and still carry out your assignment. Dillon is learning. Even though he has size, it's all about finesse.

Not just chips, I was thinking blitz pick up. Much more reaction and mental processing needed for that, probably don't trust Dillon yet.
Yes and he’s pedestrian at best with catching the ball out of the backfield.

Yes and he’s pedestrian at best with catching the ball out of the backfield.

ML seems to like throwing the ball to Jones on those quick outs at or behind the line, Dillon not going to be that kind of pass catcher. I guess next year ML will draw some more stuff up for him catching the ball but not with that degree of difficulty.

ML seems to like throwing the ball to Jones on those quick outs at or behind the line, Dillon not going to be that kind of pass catcher. I guess next year ML will draw some more stuff up for him catching the ball but not with that degree of difficulty.
Jones is more fluid laterally where Dillion is a north / south guy. I hope he’s more than a situational back but not sure he’s a 3 down back. Time will tell

Jones is more fluid laterally where Dillion is a north / south guy. I hope he’s more than a situational back but not sure he’s a 3 down back. Time will tell
well, at least we got one good game out of him. not a total loss.

Back