Post Game: San Francisco defeats GB 37-8

A Packer blogger posted this on twitter and it speaks for itself:

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady both have 2 games this season with 30 or more attempts and under 5.0 yards per attempt. Packers are 0-2 and were outscored 63-19.
Patriots are 2-0. Won 16-10 and 17-10.

That's why people are complaining about the defense. Your O can have bad days but the D needs to be able to keep you in it and give you a chance. That's what the plan was supposed to be this year with MP in year 2 and all the FA additions.

A good gut check for team and fanbase.

Def needs more playmakers
Receivers are woefully inadequate outside of Adams.

Two biggest issues that games like this being to the forefront.

Yet they keep using high picks on defense, and now have also spent big in free agency. And this has been done while offensive talent has aged or left in free agency and not been adequately replaced.

If we really still need playmakers on defense then it’s going to be a looong time before this team contends again.

The constant weak spot in the defense is the middle of the field. That has to be fixed before this defense can fight its way out of a wet paper bag.

i know that the mantra "there are no dominant teams" gets repeated often around here, but i disagree. the 49ers are a dominant team. they are strong on offense and even stronger on defense.

i had chalked this game up as a loss several weeks ago so i wasn't really surprised or disappointed in the outcome. well, okay, i am a little disappointed that the margin of victory was so big. look at san franciso's average margin of victory. and they've lost less than 10% of their games. that's pretty freaking dominant.

and in the afc you have the patriots. while they are not dominating their individual opponents, they are winning games at the same pace as the 49ers.

Yet they keep using high picks on defense, and now have also spent big in free agency. And this has been done while offensive talent has aged or left in free agency and not been adequately replaced.

If we really still need playmakers on defense then it’s going to be a looong time before this team contends again.

The constant weak spot in the defense is the middle of the field. That has to be fixed before this defense can fight its way out of a wet paper bag.

This was a 2-3 year fix. The Smiths have been outstanding but ILB is an issue that needs to be addressed as does depth all over, fresh legs help and not sure if 4-3 is better for this group also.

Ok, I am not saying AR is perfect because he is not and was not last night but what do you expect the guy to do when his o-line is getting their butts handed to them every play? We could not run the ball and he barely had 3 seconds to pass the ball. This is not on AR. We need to shore up the o-line (Linsley got dominated and Turner is below average), get a #2 WR, and get a MLB that can play the run and can cover.
I EXPECT him to hold on to the ball trying to force it deep.

This was a 2-3 year fix. The Smiths have been outstanding but ILB is an issue that needs to be addressed as does depth all over, fresh legs help and not sure if 4-3 is better for this group also.
If it's a 2-3 year fix, then why do we still have Aaron Rodgers? Get something for him while he is still worth a bunch of high picks. Why build a team around a guy who's gonna be done by the time you are done rebuilding?

If it's a 2-3 year fix, then why do we still have Aaron Rodgers? Get something for him while he is still worth a bunch of high picks. Why build a team around a guy who's gonna be done by the time you are done rebuilding?
Because Rodgers can still play at good level in 2-3 years and help win a SB. Rookie you have no idea if they will pan out could set team back years if you get wrong one. Look at Bears Trubisky not answer there so now will likely try to go get a vet QB to try to get into a win now mode with their defense.

Lets try this again....if you trade Rodgers after the season you get a $53.7m dead money cap hit. #2 he was extended prior to ML, #3 he still the best QB in the game and this team is 8-3 #4 the alternative is? .....now thanks for playing and pick up a copy of the board game to take home

Yes, we've overachieved. Yes, it would be nice to have better talent.

But, the biggest problem is we didn't show up ready to play.

Everybody in the NFL is tough, but we are on the weaker tough side. We are frequently manhandled.

Worse yet, we seem to not be the smartest team.

If the offense doesn't have play makers, it needs to stop running plays which require playmakers. The offense needs to move faster and needs to execute quick hitting plays. They keep the chains moving and will tire out an opponent's defense. It can be done, it just isn't being done.

Back