Post Game Thread : Packers Defeat Chiefs

Studs
Rodgers - What more can we say?

Cobb - Pretty big day.

J. Jones - Pretty big day.

Defensive line - Lots of pressure tonight.

Clay - 2 sacks. Just everywhere tonight.

Shields - Good pick.

Elliott - Hope he keeps developing.

Duds
"Running out the clock" - Just do what the Patriots do and drop a 50 bomb on them.

Officiating - SO MUCH LAUNDRY ON THE FIELD.

At what point do people feel the Packers "let off the gas"? I've heard that a few times today in various places, but I don't really agree with the assessment. ...

i felt like they got conservative in the fourth quarter. even with the conservative play calling they managed to score a td. but the final two possessions were ultra-conservative. if not for a strong effort by james jones we would not have even made a first down in either of those two possessions.

They were up 31-7 and won 38-28, Jeremy. Not sure how that's not letting the foot off the gas. Maybe some of us are still probably hung over (read that, paranoid) from the Seattle debacle. I would love to see them get that 'Keep the gas to the floor' mentality. I still don't see that.

Pack's offensive line continuing to play very solid, allowing just 3 sacks so far and providing some nice run blocking as well.

The fact that Barclay and Bakhtiari made it through the last 2 weeks against the power speed rushers they faced with only three sacks has to be a huge confidence boost. We need to be honest with ourselves though. If we had a less mobile QB there would have been double digit sacks already. It looks like they get a reprieve this week against SF who only has 6 sacks so far but then it's another huge test the following game against one of the toughest D lines in the league. St. Louis has 13 sacks. The interior line has been stellar. The tackles have been adequate.

i felt like they got conservative in the fourth quarter. even with the conservative play calling they managed to score a td. but the final two possessions were ultra-conservative. if not for a strong effort by james jones we would not have even made a first down in either of those two possessions.

I assume you're not counting their very final drive where only a lunatic would pass the ball up 10 points with 1:30 left on the clock. So let's look at the 2 before that.

1. -C.Santos kicks 65 yards from KC 35 to end zone, Touchback.
  2. 1-10-GB 20 :)56) 27-E.Lacy left tackle pushed ob at GB 29 for 9 yards (38-R.Parker).
  3. 2-1-GB 29 :)13) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 27-E.Lacy to GB 38 for 9 yards (27-T.Branch).
  4. END QUARTER 3

1. KC 14 GB 38 Plays: 8 Possession: 3:46

1. 4th Quarter
  2. Green Bay Packers continues ...
  3. 1-10-GB 38 (15:00) 27-E.Lacy left end to GB 37 for -1 yards (96-J.Howard).
  4. 2-11-GB 37 (14:15) 79-J.Walker reported in as eligible. 44-J.Starks left end to GB 40 for 3 yards (90-J.Mauga).
  5. 3-8-GB 40 (13:31) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass deep right to 89-J.Jones ran ob at KC 8 for 52 yards (29-E.Berry). Penalty on KC-55-D.Ford, Defensive Offside, declined. WATCH HIGHLIGHT
  6. 1-8-KC 8 (13:01) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short left to 18-R.Cobb.
  7. 2-8-KC 8 (12:57) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 27-E.Lacy right end to KC 4 for 4 yards (56-D.Johnson).
  8. 3-4-KC 4 (12:13) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 18-R.Cobb for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

A pass on 2nd and 1 after a successful 1st down round isn't conservative. They did go run/run after the 1st down, but that's not uncommon during any point in the game. The draw on 2nd and long drives me nuts, but every coach does it. Then after the big play to Jones on the free play they went right back to the pass.

Then on the next drive where they're up 16 with less than 10 minutes left:

1. 1-10-GB 20 (9:54) 44-J.Starks left end to GB 18 for -2 yards (96-J.Howard).
  2. 2-12-GB 18 (9:28) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 83-J.Janis to GB 27 for 9 yards (22-M.Peters). PENALTY on GB-83-J.Janis, Illegal Shift, 5 yards, enforced at GB 18 - No Play.
  3. 2-17-GB 13 (9:04) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 82-R.Rodgers to GB 21 for 8 yards (38-R.Parker).
  4. 3-9-GB 21 (8:20) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 89-J.Jones to GB 31 for 10 yards (38-R.Parker).
  5. Timeout #3 by GB at 07:34.
  6. 1-10-GB 31 (7:34) 44-J.Starks right end to GB 33 for 2 yards (50-J.Houston).
  7. 2-8-GB 33 (6:49) 46-A.Harris right tackle to GB 34 for 1 yard (56-D.Johnson).
  8. 3-7-GB 34 (6:05) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right to 82-R.Rodgers.
  9. 4-7-GB 34 (5:57) 8-T.Masthay punts 49 yards to KC 17, Center-61-B.Goode. 13-D.Thomas to KC 17 for no gain (83-J.Janis).
They started with a run again, which worked in the previous drive, but then went to the air again. It was the Janis penalty that almost derailed that drive. They did move to the run after the Jones 1st down, but with 7:34 left, I think it makes sense to milk some clock at that point, don't you?

Only because it's this forum, I'll lay some thoughts on the table.

I think, for a long time, last year's debacle is going to color many people's interpretation of what's going on at the end of the game.

I absolutely hate the Patriots, for the same reason people hated the Pack when I was young, and the fact/perception that they go for the throat until the final gun, while the Pack seems to treat the 4th quarter as a 'ho-hum' exercise is disconcerting.

Running the ball certainly takes more time off the clock and is less risky - on paper. The frustrating part is having the QB and receivers that we do, which makes incompletions and interceptions much, much less of a concern that just the theory of running vs. passing.

And, why not stick with whatever it was that got you to 31-7?

Duds
"Running out the clock" - Just do what the Patriots do and drop a 50 bomb on them.

I agree with the rest of your post, but just one more point on this topic. The Patriots nearly gave a game away against Buffalo by taking the ultra aggressive approach. They had a 37-13 lead very late in the 3rd quarter, but then had several drives in the 4th that took very little time off the clock due to incompletions. Then up 12 points with 4:41 left on the clock 2 timeouts left for Buffalo on 2nd and 2, Tom Brady went back to pass, got sacked and fumbled and the Bill were able to get a quick score to make it a one possession game.

Obviously their need to humiliate their opponents was more successful against Jacksonville, but Brady still took a sack on his final drive; a hit he didn't need to take up 44-17. And Kansas City is not Jacksonville.

Again, I would argue it was penalties and poor execution that let the Chiefs back into the game, if you even want to call it that.

Last edited:
Sorry, Jeremy. After the performance in Seattle last year, I would MUCH rather take the pedal to the floor approach. I would be willing to put it in writing that the prevent defense, run-run-run/punt, try to run out the clock approach has lost way more games for teams than keeping the gas on has. Even Aaron said after the game in Seattle that you cannot play not-to-lose like that. Winning 31-7 and end up with the score 38-28 makes me worried that McCarthy never learned that lesson last year.

3 and 0 is sweeter than ice cream...don't get me wrong. But still worried a tad. Just this fan's nature. :D

Sorry, Jeremy. After the performance in Seattle last year, I would MUCH rather take the pedal to the floor approach. I would be willing to put it in writing that the prevent defense, run-run-run/punt, try to run out the clock approach has lost way more games for teams than keeping the gas on has. Even Aaron said after the game in Seattle that you cannot play not-to-lose like that. Winning 31-7 and end up with the score 38-28 makes me worried that McCarthy never learned that lesson last year.

3 and 0 is sweeter than ice cream...don't get me wrong. But still worried a tad. Just this fan's nature. :D

But I don't think they took their foot off the gas. The final 2 drives (not counting the last one with 90 seconds left and up 2 scores), there were 8 passes and 7 runs. That's a good mix for any time in the game, no?

Back