With Pick #12 GB Selects Rashan Gary DE/OLB Michigan

Dude ran a 4.58.

Anyway, Pettine doesn't use guys as sack artists. That's not his defense.
Dude I don’t care if he runs a 4.2. He never played in coverage At Michigan and actually does a great job setting the edge on rush D so i really don’t care about Qb pressure as much. We signed guys in FA that fit that

He played with in the scheme of his DC. Even his teammate Devin Bush felt he should have been drafted ahead of him. I'm not ready to say this is the best pick ever but I'm not thinking its a bad pick. I didn't see him taking plays off. He demanded double teams often and even triple teams on running plays. Winovich was the pass rushing end while Gary was the anchor. There is plenty there to be excited about. Speed kills and this team is adding speed with every early pick the last 2 years.
I heard another Michigan fan on the radio the other day and he thought that Rashan was the best player on their defense (as do Harbaugh and Devin Bush). The guy mentioned that after Gary hurt his shoulder it seemed like he protected it and didn't really cut loose the rest of the year.
I was really hoping for Burns, but Gary seems to be Pettine's type. He's also more stout against the run. He is an uber athletic player at 277 pounds. I don't see anyone picked after him that would have been a better pick. The ONLY question heading into the draft was his production and that seemed to be because of how he was used. The way the board fell I have faith that they made the right pick.

He should have been consistently dominate based on his size and ability, he was not. Actually he might be more productive inside

I was think that too Pack. Supposedly he defends the run well. That was a big weakness on D last year. We could use someone better at defending the run. We will see how Pettine uses him.

Some of the stuff I read was that his role at UM this last year was to set the edge against the run and absorb double, and on occasion, triple teams to give other players (like Winovich) a free run at the QB and ball carrier. They also said he dialed it down a bit after he hurt his shoulder so as to not damage it any further.
He's going to be one of those wait n' see picks, I guess. sh))

Some of the stuff I read was that his role at UM this last year was to set the edge against the run and absorb double, and on occasion, triple teams to give other players (like Winovich) a free run at the QB and ball carrier. They also said he dialed it down a bit after he hurt his shoulder so as to not damage it any further.
He's going to be one of those wait n' see picks, I guess. sh))

Counterpoint, maybe they're making excuses for him.

This pick only makes sense if they play him as a DE or stand up DE. Playing Rashan Gary at OLB is no different than what TT/MM tried to do with Perry and a couple other picks that went south. I know several of you don't want to hear it but having played as a DE it's extremely difficult to go from 4-3 /hybrid DE to a 34 OLB. Very rarely can you excel at both.

I hope I am wrong but Gary doesn't strike me as the #12 player in the draft who can make an impact day 1. Watch his triple teamed tape they keep playing on tv, at Michigan in a 3 point stance as a DE. This one may bite Gute and ML hard in the @$$$.

This pick only makes sense if they play him as a DE or stand up DE. Playing Rashan Gary at OLB is no different than what TT/MM tried to do with Perry and a couple other picks that went south. I know several of you don't want to hear it but having played as a DE it's extremely difficult to go from 4-3 /hybrid DE to a 34 OLB. Very rarely can you excel at both.

I hope I am wrong but Gary doesn't strike me as the #12 player in the draft who can make an impact day 1. Watch his triple teamed tape they keep playing on tv, at Michigan in a 3 point stance as a DE. This one may bite Gute and ML hard in the @$$$.

Winner)

Playing Rashan Gary at OLB is no different than what TT/MM tried to do with Perry and a couple other picks that went south.

except that perry and those other guys didn't have 4.58 speed.

except that perry and those other guys didn't have 4.58 speed.

Both Gary and Montez Sweat did OLB drills at the combine and they looked awful. Both kept tripping over their own feet, they’re not space players. Now, Pettine will ask everyone along his D front to drop on occasion, but when I look back this year and see Clay in some pretty deep drops, or Fackrell chasing RBs out of the backfield, that is just a terrible use of Rashan Gary and will set him up for disappointment.

Back