With Pick #12 GB Selects Rashan Gary DE/OLB Michigan

That's why I still say that they might list him as an OLB, and they might say they are going to play him at OLB, but ultimately I think they will minimize the types of things they do with him in terms of OLB. I suspect he'll be asked to drop back very little and cover very little. They'll use him to set the edge and stop the run. They'll use him to rush the passer from both the inside and outside.

Not unlike Nick Perry who they really didn't use in that capacity very much either that I can remember. In the end, Perry wouldn't have been such a bad player had he stayed healthy and played every year like he did in his contract year. Those deficiencies would have been acceptable.

Pettine would clearly seem to be OK with this as neither Preston or ZaDarius Smith are really true OLBs either. (Unless Gute is getting these guys without input from his DC, which would be a whole mistake unto itself.) With so little base defense being played it probably doesn't matter as much as it used to. There is an extra DB on the field most of the time these days and the OLBs end up with responsibilities that look more like 4-3 DEs than they did in the past.

an OLB in a 3-4 is a rush LB. They are not off ball guys. So listing him as that is not crazy or expecting him to be a guy asked to play in space often. He will be used to set the edge or get up field and get after the QB. I have no idea what a stand up DE is. its basically a 3-4 OLB. If you look at MP d scheme he has always used the bigger stout OLB. Gary will not be a DE/ 5 tech in base.

The packers are also only in base like 30% of the time. So im sure we will see these players moving around. The smiths have the skill set to be moved around. Z esp was good at getting pressure from the interior. 3rd down with be an interesting down this yr with the new chess pieces. Im cool with Gary being a situational player right now. Aldon Smith was that guy and he killed it early in his career. Im not saying Gary is that but

Now saying that I really wanted Burns and Gary was my least fav prospect in the 1st. He didn't have the production to go with all the hype. But I get the pick. If it was me Burn would have been nice bc he brings a different style then what we have on the roster. We have the big guys so a bendy dude that is crazy explosive would have been awesome. They went Gary though and I hope it works out.

They might say Gary is a OLB but I have no doubt once in OTA and TC that he is put at several spots to see if he can be moved around and be effective.

I really don't get the pick. The 12th pick in the draft should be an impact player. Gary will not be this year. An OL who could play guard would have been impactful day one.

The only thing I do get is there were not a ton of options at 12 when we picked so we chose what we chose. I would hope that Gute had looked at moving back and maybe just did not get any offers.

How can you say he wont have an impact. Clay matthews didn't start right away but he came on strong. Aldon smith was not a starter as a rook and he was a pass rush stud. Point is we dont know if he will or will not

I really don't get the pick. The 12th pick in the draft should be an impact player. Gary will not be this year. An OL who could play guard would have been impactful day one.

The only thing I do get is there were not a ton of options at 12 when we picked so we chose what we chose. I would hope that Gute had looked at moving back and maybe just did not get any offers.
12th pick should not be expected to be a impact player. You are not drafting expect impact players at 12 IMO there was zero impact players at 12. Christian Wilkins would have not been impact at 12. OL is for sure not a impact player.

12th pick should not be expected to be a impact player. You are not drafting expect impact players at 12 IMO there was zero impact players at 12. Christian Wilkins would have not been impact at 12. OL is for sure not a impact player.
Picks at #12 or later
OBJ
Earl Thomas
Watson
TJ Watt
Kenny Clark

Yes you can get an impact guy at 12

Last edited:
I think Gute got a pretty good OL at #44. With adding Turner and getting Madison back they may be indicating they needed help on the interior as much, or more, as at OT. I read there are questions as to whether or not Lane Taylor is a good fit for ML's new offense. JMHO

As far as Gary at #12, I just can't formulate an opinion right now. I liked him back in Dec./Jan. but then backed off him as I felt there were better options at positions of high need.

What's done is done...........just have to wait and see

Back