BadgerMens BB Thread 2023/24

Not a dismantling, but a hard fought victory. Very impressed by Bucky grit.

Reactions: TW
Character, and the addition of players who can play smash mouth basketball, playground style. It's about time Gard found a few players like that Blackwell and Storr. Watching that mentality rubbing off on Crowl and Wahl is actually making this team competitive. I hope Gard has learned where he needs to go in the future.

Kind of a "meh" game last night against Jax State. They just did the bare minimum to get past an over-matched opponent. The biggest takeaway is the ultra short leash on Essegian. He was pulled after one possession in the first half for giving up a lay-up. Didn't play again until garbage time.

Essegian is clearly in the doghouse right now. I think Gard needs to loosen the reins but since he has other options this year he isn't tolerating the defensive lapses. I worry this is the beginning of the end for Essegian at UW. With other options this year and a couple of solid guards coming next year I kinda suspect if this continues he will hit the portal.

Kind of a "meh" game last night against Jax State. They just did the bare minimum to get past an over-matched opponent. The biggest takeaway is the ultra short leash on Essegian. He was pulled after one possession in the first half for giving up a lay-up. Didn't play again until garbage time.

Essegian is clearly in the doghouse right now. I think Gard needs to loosen the reins but since he has other options this year he isn't tolerating the defensive lapses. I worry this is the beginning of the end for Essegian at UW. With other options this year and a couple of solid guards coming next year I kinda suspect if this continues he will hit the portal.
I think Essegian has become Gard's "whipping boy." He can't do anything right, and if he does, Gard turns his back on him. This seems to be one of the complaints guys had, who left the program, back a few years ago when there was a "semi-revolt."

Essegian will go elsewhere and average 25+ points a game, and Gard's reason for him being gone is that he had the "wrong attitude," or didn't "Fit into the program." As far as Essegian's defense, he's playing #3 guard, and getting assignments against guys that have several inches in height on him. There isn't enough room for all the #2s, like him, on the roster.

We have more than enough #2 guards, and guys like Blackwell, who is playing #1 and #2, and AJ Storr who is playing #3 and #2, and Carter Gilmore who is getting time at #3. The problem for Essegian, at 6-4, he's shorter than the average #3, and at a disadvantage defensively, from the start. Add to that, he needs to be taught how to gain positional advantage over taller men. Obviously that wasn't done last year, because Gard seemed to want him sitting off on the wing on offense, and not being schooled on playing defense. But, the guys he was guarding, were more his size.

To be frank, I think both AJ Storr, John Blackwell, and Winter are the future. But most intriguing is they only lose Tyler Wahl from the roster due to end of eligibility. Nobody else will be out, except through leaving program voluntarily, or through the portal. I see at least 3 guys going through the portal to be honest, Essegian is one of them. The other two will be guys with one or two years of eligibility left, who want a shot at more playing time elsewhere. That will make room for players the Badgers grab through the portal, and from HS. Presently, we have two plays coming in, out of HS. Both from the Twin Cities area. Jack Robison and Daniel Freitag. Robison is a #2 with size, 6-6, and Freitag is going to be Hepburn's replacement down the road. I see them looking at at least one through the portal. I don't see anyone added as a walk-on.

As things stand right now the Badgers are full for next year. If they want to do anything in the portal next year someone will need to leave or a scholarship rescinded. Certainly both could occur. Essegian is certainly a candidate for the portal. Hodges is another - he's been in the program for 3 years and still can't crack the rotation. Ilver is another guy, though he's at least seeing some minutes now and then. It's also possible they pull Isaac Lindsey's scholarship since that was sort of a one year deal for this year anyway. I suspect they will have multiple openings, but who knows.

Reactions: TW
As things stand right now the Badgers are full for next year. If they want to do anything in the portal next year someone will need to leave or a scholarship rescinded. Certainly both could occur. Essegian is certainly a candidate for the portal. Hodges is another - he's been in the program for 3 years and still can't crack the rotation. Ilver is another guy, though he's at least seeing some minutes now and then. It's also possible they pull Isaac Lindsey's scholarship since that was sort of a one year deal for this year anyway. I suspect they will have multiple openings, but who knows.
It's all starting to shape up that way from what I've seen. I'm looking at 3 openings for sure, maybe more. As much as 5? Could be. Could go as high as 6. It all depends on the conversations Gard has with certain players after the season ends.

As much as I like the potential of Essegian, I think he's become the odd man out. Gard has finally realized that you need to have some players out there who play street ball, not the stuff played in countryside settings in Wisconsin and Minnesota. I keep seeing these kids getting beat to death by the kids who are used to the bumping and physical game they experience in the ice and snow of Detroit playgrounds and similar places. These are the kids that stock the NBA shelves, and they're also the backbone of the best college programs out there.

I love watching them play. Blackwell is going to be awesome. Storr is already awesome. Watching Winter, I see a kid who even though he played suburban ball in Minnesota, has learned to bang with the best of them out there. Those three are going to have a big bearing on this team next year.

Excuse me while I'm in awe of how the Badgers have played this year. To be honest, if they had to play the three loss games over at this point, they'd win two of them. The only one I'd doubt at all would be against Arizona. They've gotten that darned good.

OSU might not be the best team in the Big 10, but like Robbie Hummel said last night, they are one of the toughest teams when it comes to playing home games. Even with bad years, they are tough at home.

It was Max's turn, and he did not disappoint. None of them do. Even Essegian is starting to get his range, and playing better defense. I don't know if he's 100% healthy, but I don't think the stamina is back where it should be. What can be said about AJ Storr? He's something special. He's going to end up one of the top players in the Big 10.

I'm not going to get overly excited yet. There's a lot of games left. The Badgers have been known to lose a few in a row, and that could be costly. So, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and enjoy the magic as long as it happens.

By the way. I gotta eat crow. I though Gard wasn't the man for the job. I think I may have been totally wrong about that. It does surprise me. It also makes me glad I might have been wrong about him.

Yup, 9 months ago everyone following Badger basketball was at least questioning if Gard could get it done, even if they weren't yet calling for him to be fired. There was a spectrum of opinions but few were 100% sure he should stay.

What a difference a year makes. Assuming no major injuries, I think they are headed for a top-3 finish in the conference, and probably a 3 or 4 seed in the tourney. After that it's match-ups. A team like Arizona is too talented and athletic for them. A team like Purdue will probably also cause problems by taking away some of their inside game. WIth decent match-ups, a Sweet-16 appearance seems very possible.

Not to get too far ahead of things, it'll be interesting to see if Gard can adjust to and adopt the portal to fill some weak areas. He's got a couple of solid recruits for 2024 and we'll likely see Yalden next season after a red-shirt year. Gard should probably hit the portal for a Wahl replacement, as there is nobody ready to take on that role next year, IMO.

Gard's next step is to find a way to close the deal on some of the local talent in Wisconsin. I recently watched a video of Kon Knueppel, the Milwaukee kid, playing against Jack Robison, the 2024 Badger recruit. Let's just say it was clear why Knueppel was highly recruited, especially by blue bloods like Duke. Gard needs to get a kid like that a little more often.

Back