With Their first pick GB selects Jordan Love QB Utah State

OK, I've slept on it so not as upset and annoyed but still don't get why they traded up. I assume they were worried that Indy or N.E. had interest and might move back up ahead of them. I would have been ticked either way, but the trade up and squandering of draft capital makes no sense for a guy who was a VERY questionable first rounder, making the whole thing stupider. It's almost like they were trying to re-create the AR draft . . . sorry ML/BG, it doesn't work that way.

One thing I got from this is that I don't think we can totally blame Gute for this. ML had a huge grin on his face as this was going down. I suspect he was pushing for this guy as well. The three of them, Gute, ML and Love, are now attached at the hip and if this move doesn't work out and the team struggles all 3 might be gone by 2023.

As for Love, he's a mixed bag. I've read multiple write-ups on him and almost everyone agrees that he's nearly the physical prototype for the position. Tall, athletic, mobile, with a strong arm and quick release. He can make all the throws, and throws well on the move. He seems to be pretty intelligent with a Wonderlic of 27 though it's not always clear how much that matters. He has a high ceiling. He "could" be good/great. Everyone also seems to agree that 2019 was a problem because the team around him was a mess with Gary Anderson taking over as coach. (He really wasn't a Gary Anderson guy. Anderson didn't recruit him and ran a much different offense. Not really sure Anderson wanted him but he was the best option already there - sound familiar Badger fans.)

Then there's the bad. Write-ups also describe him as lacking pocket presence and not having a good feel for pressure. Because of that there is some "panic" to his game. He's also a bit careless with the ball in the pocket. He doesn't seem to process things as well/quickly as he should and misses open guys, sometimes badly. Particularly last year when he seemed to hold the ball too long, not always take what was there, and when things broke down he'd just wing it into tightly contested windows trying to force something. Hmmm . . . maybe he was destined to be a Packer since there's a little combination of Aaron and Brett in there.

I still don't like the pick but being a Packer fan I'll hope he is the real deal and is the 3rd straight Hall of Fame QB for the Packers. I doubt it.

On to Day 2.

Thought he said he wants #10? Shepherd currently rocking that #.

No WRs beyond Adams. No backup OT. No DE who can stop the run. No ILB who can cover. No decent. 3 CB but hey let's trade up for a guy who threw 17 interceptions last year and who's footwork is so messed up he makes most HS QB look technically sound ? Truly mind-boggling

I hate this pick as much as anyone here.

The problem now is the structure of the roster is awful.

We have some great players - Rodgers, Davante, the Smiths, and if you assume you resign Bahk / Clark / Jones next year for say 36 mil total / year, and a cap of $220 mil, that's 56% of your cap.

The next 5 guys are Amos, Turner, Lowry, Kirksey, and Wagner - there's 18% of your cap. The odds of any of those guys making a pro bowl is 0 percent.

Then you need to find a center and a corner back because you can't afford to pay Linsley or Kevin King (which you probably shouldn't pay anyways). That's assuming you draft a WR and a MLB who turn out to be guys who can play right now this year.

This is a problem because we haven't been able to find guys who can make a difference in the 1st round for some time.

Now we draft a guy who's going to sit for 3 years? What are we trying to do with the back end of Rodgers career here?

The $hit eating grins on Lafleur / Gutes face tells you they think they just drafted Patrick Mahomes 2.0.

Still time to make this right for Rodgers

He's a long shot to be a difference maker QB..... if we all take the ggg( off this is a Mahomes wannabe type pick and boys and girls he's not that.... my god he's Gary Andersons QB people...yeah that Gary Anderson.

You wanna be upbeat about it great but there were at least 3 guys with better talent and a higher upside at QB on the board... putting $ on this one biting GB in the hinder.

I feel the Packers believe they have found a formula taking raw unproven QBs and molding them into superstars, even though my personal belief is they have just been lucky with a once in a lifetime combination of Favre and Rodgers. Me thinks the law of probability will be a bitch...

Back