Love Boat Thread

When a guy seriously has considered retirement 2 years in a row now that should be telling
I cannot mind read. I can only observe the universe and make a hypothesis based on observation. My observation is that QBs who are playing well, who are healthy, who have the opportunity to make a lot of money, and who are highly, highly competitive don't just retire when they don't have to. Talk is cheap, assumptions based on comments and mind reading are worth less than the value of this post. I don't believe he was really close to retiring last year and I don't believe it this year either.

I cannot mind read. I can only observe the universe and make a hypothesis based on observation. My observation is that QBs who are playing well, who are healthy, who have the opportunity to make a lot of money, and who are highly, highly competitive don't just retire when they don't have to. Talk is cheap, assumptions based on comments and mind reading are worth less than the value of this post. I don't believe he was really close to retiring last year and I don't believe it this year either.
I give you Tom Brady. Healthy, opportunity to make a lot of money, competitive as hell and playing at a high level.

I just think Rodgers is wired differently. While he’s competitive he’s also a perfectionist. And also while he loves the game, he despises the business part of it. I would agree that the retirement talk last year was more frustration not so much this year

Brady, as in all things, is an exception. He's an exceptional player and an exceptional man. They do happen.

Agree that Rodgers is wired different, it shows itself in some weird ways (awful choice in women, forsaking family over minor grudges, love of burning timeouts. etc.), but I don't see him stopping right now. The guy loves stats, he lives for his stats, how can you walk away with the chance to pad them?

Brady, as in all things, is an exception. He's an exceptional player and an exceptional man. They do happen.

Agree that Rodgers is wired different, it shows itself in some weird ways (awful choice in women, forsaking family over minor grudges, love of burning timeouts. etc.), but I don't see him stopping right now. The guy loves stats, he lives for his stats, how can you walk away with the chance to pad them?
If he does come back he will have a very diff roster to work with. He has to know he won't have as easy a time padding those reg season stats next year.

Brady and Rodgers talks if retirement is apples to oranges. Brady is 44, has more rings then any franchise, has kids and married to former Super model who made way more money then him but a non factor. What is a factor is Brady's wife wanting him to retire and to be fair he has left that door cracked open.

The more fair comparison is Favre and Rodgers. Brett talked of retirement for 2-3 years, of course some of that was to get out of OTAs and then retires and unretired and that's when TT and company figured Rodgers showed enough to take over and we traded Favre.

Favre also was beat up and starting to show his age even though once again in his last game was one play away from going to SB.

But AR is in maybe best shape of his life and during regular season is no one better. Why he can't play like that in the playoffs is million dollar question. Doubt he retires unless doesn't see any other choice.

Brady and Rodgers talks if retirement is apples to oranges. Brady is 44, has more rings then any franchise, has kids and married to former Super model who made way more money then him but a non factor. What is a factor is Brady's wife wanting him to retire and to be fair he has left that door cracked open.

The more fair comparison is Favre and Rodgers. Brett talked of retirement for 2-3 years, of course some of that was to get out of OTAs and then retires and unretired and that's when TT and company figured Rodgers showed enough to take over and we traded Favre.

Favre also was beat up and starting to show his age even though once again in his last game was one play away from going to SB.

But AR is in maybe best shape of his life and during regular season is no one better. Why he can't play like that in the playoffs is million dollar question. Doubt he retires unless doesn't see any other choice.
The differences are, Favre loved the game and accepted the business side of it. Rodgers like the competition but loathes the business side and they are culturally wired different. Favre was is the red neck, beer with buddies guy, Rodgers is Cail cool and embraces the Hollywood crowd.

Will take it one step farther.

Favre also was a man's man. He was super tough and like Jordan believed he could always impose his will and win with his arm. Win or lose was guy you wanted to play for as he always gave you a chance to win.

Rodgers to me strikes me as that super smart nerd kid in class that didn't exactly fit in with everyone but had God gifted athletic abilities. It's more then a Cali thing. I lived out there in the 80's and yeah it's a bit different but usually ppl are more laid back there. Not as AR comes off. That's why said what did above.

Back