Post Game Green Bay beats Dallas in OT 31-28

I know that's posted as a joke but I think it highlights exactly what's broken in the locker room. The ML/AR combo walked the knife edge for the past few years and gave great results (as rb would say, in the regular season anyway). This season they seem to have toppled over one way or the other and I don't think they can get it back. I remember some guys in Seattle saying that eventually they started to tune out Pete Carroll because they heard it all before, it turns out the thing that allowed the team to be successful again was getting rid of the guys who were tuning out the coach. Food for thought.

I know that's posted as a joke but I think it highlights exactly what's broken in the locker room. The ML/AR combo walked the knife edge for the past few years and gave great results (as rb would say, in the regular season anyway). This season they seem to have toppled over one way or the other and I don't think they can get it back. I remember some guys in Seattle saying that eventually they started to tune out Pete Carroll because they heard it all before, it turns out the thing that allowed the team to be successful again was getting rid of the guys who were tuning out the coach. Food for thought.
I can see that, I think bringing back Cobb to pair with AR was a big mistake, he needs to assume the mentor/dad role with younger guys. I think in his defense Favre was lousy at it and AR learned from him how to be the same kind of a prick.

It's possible cleaning out Cobb, Crosby and a couple of others in the offseason could change the locker room dynamics. Flipside that might force AR hand and he walks away. gp((

I can see that, I think bringing back Cobb to pair with AR was a big mistake, he needs to assume the mentor/dad role with younger guys. I think in his defense Favre was lousy at it and AR learned from him how to be the same kind of a prick.

It's possible cleaning out Cobb, Crosby and a couple of others in the offseason could change the locker room dynamics. Flipside that might force AR hand and he walks away. gp((
Cobb I think was brought in to be a vet/mentor to gusy esp a guy like Rodgers who was said to be very close to his family. Cobb brings very little to this team. He's 32 years old his time in this league is over.

Crosby the same he's 38 years old. Anyone can tell his length stregnth is gone.

I think both of these guys are just on the team because #12 wanted a couple guys he's played with forever to be his teammates.

Personally I feel Cobb and Crosby will retire. I think the big thing that might force Aaron to walk away is if GB does release Bak from the team. That's his best friend on the team.

Cobb I think was brought in to be a vet/mentor to gusy esp a guy like Rodgers who was said to be very close to his family. Cobb brings very little to this team. He's 32 years old his time in this league is over.

Crosby the same he's 38 years old. Anyone can tell his length stregnth is gone.

I think both of these guys are just on the team because #12 wanted a couple guys he's played with forever to be his teammates.

Personally I feel Cobb and Crosby will retire. I think the big thing that might force Aaron to walk away is if GB does release Bak from the team. That's his best friend on the team.
I think retirement is the least likely option, I just don’t see anyone walking away from a ~$50m payout. I think they try to move him as most likely option.

I think retirement is the least likely option, I just don’t see anyone walking away from a ~$50m payout. I think they try to move him as most likely option.

I have to agree. I know I wouldn't turn down 50M in pay. I would have taken the contract. :)

I do blame AR to a certain degree because he obviously was all about the money and not winning a title. He knew they may not be keeping Adams among other players yet he still took the deal as the highest paid QB.

Of course, the biggest blame is on Murphy and Gute. They paid a 38 year-old QB 50M and knew the team would lose multiple players. They had just hoped that AR could still carry this team with all the holes it had and they were wrong in a big way. They also thought that this D would finally be able to help carry the offense. Obviously, they were wrong there too.

Honestly, this all makes sense when you think about it. Murphy did not want to start a rebuild when he was done in 2 years. He wanted to win one more before he retired and tried to cement his legacy so he forced an all in the next two years. Unfortunately, he has screwed over Gute and ML as well as this team for the foreseeable future.

Not sure Murphy will trade AR at this point and not sure we would get a lot for him anyway. The best option is probably hoping AR retires next year and we take the cap hit.

Depends how the SB is payed out. His base in 2023 is less than $2m so the majority of that cash is in SB which pays out if he walks or not.

Depends how the SB is payed out. His base in 2023 is less than $2m so the majority of that cash is in SB which pays out if he walks or not.
I thought the $50+m signing bonus was tied to him being on the roster as of June 1, so the trick is that they have to move him post-June 1 but I guess the other team would need to agree to be on the hook for that money when it comes due. That's why I think trade comp if/when it happens is going to have a ton of fans frothing at the mouth, I can see GB trading Rodgers + a 4th for something like a 2nd + a 3rd or even less. That may be off too but trade comp is going to reflect the contract dump.

I thought the $50+m signing bonus was tied to him being on the roster as of June 1, so the trick is that they have to move him post-June 1 but I guess the other team would need to agree to be on the hook for that money when it comes due. That's why I think trade comp if/when it happens is going to have a ton of fans frothing at the mouth, I can see GB trading Rodgers + a 4th for something like a 2nd + a 3rd or even less. That may be off too but trade comp is going to reflect the contract dump.
Not the way I’m reading the contract. There are some option bonuses later but not tied to 2023 comp. The only $$ that a new team eats is the base. Now as to the SB the team can look to reclaim part of the SB if he retires (Barry Sanders Rule )

Not the way I’m reading the contract. There are some option bonuses later but not tied to 2023 comp. The only $$ that a new team eats is the base. Now as to the SB the team can look to reclaim part of the SB if he retires (Barry Sanders Rule )
If they're on the hook for that massive signing bonus next year no matter what (unless he retires) then there is no point trading him at all, but I don't think that's the case. I don't know, I think it's more complicated than that.

If they're on the hook for that massive signing bonus next year no matter what (unless he retires) then there is no point trading him at all, but I don't think that's the case. I don't know, I think it's more complicated than that.
A good portion of the cap hit / cash out is money that needed to be accounted for on his previous contract. SB money is what is is. His 2022 Roster bonus as an example was treated as a SB payed in 2 installments for a total of about $40m. Per Spotrac here is the gory details
  • $101.515M guaranteed at signing (2022 salary, 2022 roster bonus, 2023 salary, 2023 option bonus)
  • 2022 Roster Bonus: $40.8M (fully guaranteed, treated as signing bonus, $20.4M paid 6/20/22, $20.4M paid 9/30/22)
  • 2023 Option Bonus (to exercise the 2025 compensation): $58.3M (guaranteed)
  • 2024 Option Bonus (to exercise the 2026 compensation): $47M (injury guaranteed at signing, fully guarantees the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period)
  • Declining either of the 2023-2024 options converts the base salary for that year into the bonus figure ($58.3M, $47M respectively)

Back